Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 13-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The purpose of law firms is to serve clients, no? i.e. to maximise profits

I see your point that having political connections may get you some leeway with government bodies for requests, etc. but what else is there to it?
You do realise that most of the big Singapore companies with major legal spend are owned by Temasek, ie the government. They will of course be inclined to hire "establishment" firms.

Old 13-11-2022, 09:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You do realise that most of the big Singapore companies with major legal spend are owned by Temasek, ie the government. They will of course be inclined to hire "establishment" firms.
You seem to be out of touch? Alot of these temasick companies instruct intl firms because they do the work much better (and have the capability and experience) than your run of the mill big4 partners.

Old 14-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Unregistered

Default Corp Assoc

Are the big firms and DRD/SLB/MLS/WKW hiring?

Small firm, 1PQE assoc. I feel like I’m hentak kaki everyday. FCH from a not very established school. Current pay is significantly below market rate.

Forced to go in everyday when partners themselves don’t show up at times and I have literally nothing to do sometimes. While one of my mentors is great, I am losing interest in my work.

How long should I look at applying, serving notice? Will firms be put off if at interview I say I wish to go on a vacation before starting?

How hybrid are these firms?

Old 14-11-2022, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Walter Woon gives me the impression of
- a Walt Disney character (as he appears to be a firm believer of legal fictions that practitioners/ lawmakers know aren't exactly real, even in the West that pioneered them e.g. judicial independence. And neither are disney characters real)!,
-an irreverent, idealistic credentialist too wrapped up in the comforts of his own proud little world (as a result of the high office bestowed on him by the then powers in the G),
-a bit of an armchair critic like how academics generally are (they love provoking viewpoints), -but unfortunately, sorely lacking in practicalities or personal touch.

He deserves to get his "independent", "thought-provoking" views steamrolled over and over by the G, for his lack of gumption. He will find that he belongs nowhere except in the clouds.
He is a credentialist because that is actually his coping mechanism. It's his way of telling himself that his elevation into prominence came from his own brilliance rather than any external forces; so the powers should see him as an equal, and plebians should take his words as gospel.

Every cleared eyed person knows that the powers had maketh him, and the powers can destroyth him too. But he himself is in denial. This is why he often likes to use obsfuscating phrases instead of coming to the point - which Oxbridge tutors actually hate. Educated Brits will pick a bone, deconstruct his fallacious arguments and tear him down from his self-constructed castle. But dumb singaporeans will go wow! so cheem! so smart! in deference of him.

Woon takes comfort in placing himself on a pedestal.
Old 14-11-2022, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
He is a credentialist because that is actually his coping mechanism. It's his way of telling himself that his elevation into prominence came from his own brilliance rather than any external forces; so the powers should see him as an equal, and plebians should take his words as gospel.

Every cleared eyed person knows that the powers had maketh him, and the powers can destroyth him too. But he himself is in denial. This is why he often likes to use obsfuscating phrases instead of coming to the point - which Oxbridge tutors actually hate. Educated Brits will pick a bone, deconstruct his fallacious arguments and tear him down from his self-constructed castle. But dumb singaporeans will go wow! so cheem! so smart! in deference of him.

Sounds like every tsmp lawyer i know
Old 14-11-2022, 03:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How is it 'best' if you
got to work 12-18 hours a day
worked till 3 am printing bundles
7am reach office so you can be in court by 9am
get constantly scolded
while seeing your partners get all the credits
telling you that 'your turn will come'
You for got to add:

horror clients expect you to reply their emails within the day
but slow when you ask them for further particulars/documents
and ghosting you after you billed them

Old 14-11-2022, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

On that note, any idea why he would shack up with RHT (tgt with his son) instead of one of the big firms? I would've thought that one of the B4s would be more than happy to hv a former AG as a Consultant. If nothing, for the ex govt connections at least. He could easily get a cushy role in a B4 with his credentials.
Old 14-11-2022, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

It is NOT UNLIKELY that he has some anti-incumbent sentiments brewing in him. Look, to be fair, nobody said he is anti-gov, and legally he is an ex-gov official, but the facts showed he does display such subliminal pro-oppositional tendencies that effectively, yknow, could be dangerous for any B4 establishment firm. Don't POFMA this because facetious me was just kidding.

The Facts:
-Anti Gov website TOC keeps quoting him/ using him to contradict the gov. Just search facebook for "The Online Citizen, Walter Woon"
- Progress Singapore Party (PSP)'s party photobook THE FUTURE IS IN YOUR PALM's foreword was penned by Professor Walter Woon
- Appeared for 2012 opposition NSP's event on death penalty s://sg.news.yahoo.com/discretion-on-mandatory-sentences-can-be-%E2%80%98warped%E2%80%99--ex-attorney-general.html

etc...
Old 14-11-2022, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

What's with the WW bashing? Bunch of disgruntled foreign grads who failed his coy law siboh?
Old 14-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What's with the WW bashing? Bunch of disgruntled foreign grads who failed his coy law siboh?
Oh no. Yah u are right WW is only relevant to blank canvases ie foreign new-to-sg law uni grads taking exams.

After that just a self-important old uncle out of sight out of mind liao. Bochap him.