JLCs
DPPs
ARs

Esp for the JLCs and DPPs, seems like everyone is giving me different figures
Asked 5 ppl, got 5 different numbers man
JLC around 7.2-8k.

Old 29-08-2022, 02:29 AM
Unregistered

Does anyone ever consider WKW? Not sure if they are a proper intl but seems like they've been hiring mid to senior level based on linkedin

Old 29-08-2022, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does anyone ever consider WKW? Not sure if they are a proper intl but seems like they've been hiring mid to senior level based on linkedin
read this as wee kim wee school of comms lol

Old 29-08-2022, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

I am starting my first lawyer job as in-house counsel for a government agency. A majority of my workload will consist of employee disciplinary hearings, litigation, and advising on privacy laws.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I really, really, want to transition into a big law firm afterwards. How possible will that be ? How many years of experience will I need ?

Thanks.
Old 29-08-2022, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Default Salary for Legal Counsel in Govt

Hi can anyone shed some light on the salary scale for legal counsel in govt roles - like stat boards, etc.? Thanks!
Old 29-08-2022, 03:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
in my exp most law grads are really in their own bubble. they either think law is the be all n and all of fields, or tt other industries dont pay as much, or other industries r such and such

in short, they get a lot of outdated n preconceived notions of what happens outside the legal industry frm other lawyers, usually seniors, or their friends or even worse their parents.

just take a look at the law students in NUS or SMU. they mostly hang in their own faculties and hardly mix with others. its symptomatic of the bubble mindset that's cultivated.

this informational silo only gradually disappears for some once they start working and have to interact with clients n the broader economy. even then it doesn't for some who still refuse to widen their perspectives. dunning kruger effect is widespread.

i say this as a lawyer who went inhouse where u start to realize how little u know abt how industry n companies work and how C-suite n management takes in info and makes decisions.
Many law undergraduates think that speaking Mandarin and knowing tech are uncool but who are they taking instructions from now?

Old 29-08-2022, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Law, like any other industry, is full of dumbasses.

Doesn’t help that law students are constantly being told they’re hotshit and the cream of the crop - really enforces the inner dumbass and naïveté.
You're right about that. Your typical law student hails from a rich family living in a private property in Bukit Timah, studied elite schools because they are rich enough to afford the best tutors, dutifully attends church every Sunday morning and the only friends they have are their rich but equally sheltered peers, with no inkling of society beyond Bukit Timah.
Old 29-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am starting my first lawyer job as in-house counsel for a government agency. A majority of my workload will consist of employee disciplinary hearings, litigation, and advising on privacy laws.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I really, really, want to transition into a big law firm afterwards. How possible will that be ? How many years of experience will I need ?

Thanks.
Sounds like good work. Why make the transition? The grass looks greener on the other side. Just note that many people are looking to move into in-house/Govt roles from private practice.
Old 29-08-2022, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

My 12 hour work days are ruining my relationship

I’m a 5 year PQE funds lawyer working in big law. I’m currently working very closely with one of the firms top partners, for one of the firms biggest clients. It’s incredibly demanding and tough, fast paced, insane deadlines and turnaround times expected. I’m getting great feedback at work, that I’m doing a fantastic job but working is all I’m doing at the moment, I literally don’t have a life outside of work and I’m not even maintaining my friendships.

I got engaged nearly a year ago and a running issue in my relationship, that is preventing any wedding planning in any sense, and making us both question the relationship, is that he is not ok with me doing the hours I’m doing and is constantly on my case about it and wants me to quit.

For context, my partner is really into the gym, health and fitness. It’s what he studied in college. Lately, he has expressed on numerous occasions that he is not ok with the fact that I don’t work out or do anything other than work and he has even gone so far as to say that he will not stay in a relationship or consider having kids with me as I live such an unhealthy lifestyle working all the time.

I’m not overweight but could definitely be fitter. He argues that I’m just incredibly unhealthy as I work all the time, have no hobbies and he also thinks the amount I work prevents him from being more successful in his career as he picks up the slack at home, looking after the dog and cooking more meals.

I don’t want to quit just yet as I feel like I’m getting fantastic experience and I don’t feel like I know enough yet to go in house to say an asset management company.

I would love to hear from anyone who maybe experienced anything similar i.e. your partner is not ok with the hours you work and how you managed it, do I need to learn how to push back more and say no? (I’m bad bad bad at this but also it doesn’t feel possible most of the time), has anyone went in-house and found life got easier with a better work life balance?

I would really love to go to the gym more and have a healthier lifestyle, but I can’t seem to get the energy to go these days, there’s always something urgent that arrives in my inbox that turns the day upside down and going to the gym is the last thing on my mind when I work until 11 and am already thinking about starting work early again to get 2hours of work in before clients come online and I’m answering “queries” for the day / putting out other “urgent” fires.

I’m starting to feel like a complete failure, stressing about work non stop and my relationship failing. I need help and am lost.
Old 29-08-2022, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My 12 hour work days are ruining my relationship

I’m a 5 year PQE funds lawyer working in big law. I’m currently working very closely with one of the firms top partners, for one of the firms biggest clients. It’s incredibly demanding and tough, fast paced, insane deadlines and turnaround times expected. I’m getting great feedback at work, that I’m doing a fantastic job but working is all I’m doing at the moment, I literally don’t have a life outside of work and I’m not even maintaining my friendships.

I got engaged nearly a year ago and a running issue in my relationship, that is preventing any wedding planning in any sense, and making us both question the relationship, is that he is not ok with me doing the hours I’m doing and is constantly on my case about it and wants me to quit.

For context, my partner is really into the gym, health and fitness. It’s what he studied in college. Lately, he has expressed on numerous occasions that he is not ok with the fact that I don’t work out or do anything other than work and he has even gone so far as to say that he will not stay in a relationship or consider having kids with me as I live such an unhealthy lifestyle working all the time.

I’m not overweight but could definitely be fitter. He argues that I’m just incredibly unhealthy as I work all the time, have no hobbies and he also thinks the amount I work prevents him from being more successful in his career as he picks up the slack at home, looking after the dog and cooking more meals.

I don’t want to quit just yet as I feel like I’m getting fantastic experience and I don’t feel like I know enough yet to go in house to say an asset management company.

I would love to hear from anyone who maybe experienced anything similar i.e. your partner is not ok with the hours you work and how you managed it, do I need to learn how to push back more and say no? (I’m bad bad bad at this but also it doesn’t feel possible most of the time), has anyone went in-house and found life got easier with a better work life balance?

I would really love to go to the gym more and have a healthier lifestyle, but I can’t seem to get the energy to go these days, there’s always something urgent that arrives in my inbox that turns the day upside down and going to the gym is the last thing on my mind when I work until 11 and am already thinking about starting work early again to get 2hours of work in before clients come online and I’m answering “queries” for the day / putting out other “urgent” fires.

I’m starting to feel like a complete failure, stressing about work non stop and my relationship failing. I need help and am lost.
Either you change your job, or you find a partner who is more understanding of long working hours (perhaps someone who is a workaholic himself). Ultimately you have to decide whether your career or your relationship is more important. Nobody can answer that for you.

Btw you don't necessarily have to go in-house for a better work-life balance. You can change to a less intense law firm (perhaps lesser-paying/less prestigious, but still better than in-house).