Lawyer Salary - Page 1737 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #17361 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2022, 03:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default perspectives

For context I am an overseas law grad, I have been struggling with my mental health over past 2 years, but only sought help recently and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and prescribed medication a few days ago. For context I have already signed with another firm and am currently contemplating which offer to accept. (I told HR that I was leaning towards rejecting the offer but later emailed them again pleading for more time to reconsider).

Firm A: firm I just withdrew from, SG office of fairly reputable international firm
Firm B: firm that I am signed with, London office of an mid-Atlantic American firm, unsure about how its reputation is perceived in Singapore

worklife balance: assuming firm B because of country culture but honestly its probably a slog either way, also feel like if my mental health is something I have to be transparent about I would feel more comfortable speaking to employers in B as it seems less stigmatised in the UK.

support system: firm A because I am closer to close friends and family

money: Firm B likely to pay slightly more (NQ 157k gbp), not sure about Firm A because I think its a bit crass to ask about pay, but I am pretty sure I will be well paid either way so its not too much of a concern for me

quality of work: Firm A has a better reputation in the practice areas I am interested in, Firm B does the work I am interested in as well, but is more of a market leader in areas I am not currently interested in (I do recognise I should be open-minded as well at this stage)

brand name: Firm A, my long-term aim is to return to SG so I am worried that taking firm B may jeopardise my attractiveness as a lawyer especially if its not a household name (if its relevant Firm B has a SG office as well)

career: unknown? some say its good to start in London because of the relative depth of legal market and exposure to cross-border work, on the other hand I have been advised not to stay overseas too long because ideally you should be able to build stronger client relationships by starting in SG

personal aspirations: Firm B because I think it would be easier to return to SG to work from rather than the other way round, feels like it would personally be more of a challenge as well (although I am not sure being challenged is best for my mental health atm)

Would appreciate any perspectives from current lawyers about anything else I should also factor in, as well as what you all think from experience should be the most important factors!

Reply With Quote
  #17362 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2022, 04:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For context I am an overseas law grad, I have been struggling with my mental health over past 2 years, but only sought help recently and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and prescribed medication a few days ago. For context I have already signed with another firm and am currently contemplating which offer to accept. (I told HR that I was leaning towards rejecting the offer but later emailed them again pleading for more time to reconsider).

Firm A: firm I just withdrew from, SG office of fairly reputable international firm
Firm B: firm that I am signed with, London office of an mid-Atlantic American firm, unsure about how its reputation is perceived in Singapore

worklife balance: assuming firm B because of country culture but honestly its probably a slog either way, also feel like if my mental health is something I have to be transparent about I would feel more comfortable speaking to employers in B as it seems less stigmatised in the UK.

support system: firm A because I am closer to close friends and family

money: Firm B likely to pay slightly more (NQ 157k gbp), not sure about Firm A because I think its a bit crass to ask about pay, but I am pretty sure I will be well paid either way so its not too much of a concern for me

quality of work: Firm A has a better reputation in the practice areas I am interested in, Firm B does the work I am interested in as well, but is more of a market leader in areas I am not currently interested in (I do recognise I should be open-minded as well at this stage)

brand name: Firm A, my long-term aim is to return to SG so I am worried that taking firm B may jeopardise my attractiveness as a lawyer especially if its not a household name (if its relevant Firm B has a SG office as well)

career: unknown? some say its good to start in London because of the relative depth of legal market and exposure to cross-border work, on the other hand I have been advised not to stay overseas too long because ideally you should be able to build stronger client relationships by starting in SG

personal aspirations: Firm B because I think it would be easier to return to SG to work from rather than the other way round, feels like it would personally be more of a challenge as well (although I am not sure being challenged is best for my mental health atm)

Would appreciate any perspectives from current lawyers about anything else I should also factor in, as well as what you all think from experience should be the most important factors!
Be a DPP. High salary, good worklife balance and no mental health problems

Reply With Quote
  #17363 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2022, 04:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Be a DPP. High salary, good worklife balance and no mental health problems
Just bite on those from less privileged backgrounds and you will be able to relieve stress from this. You donít even have to be good with your arguments and subs



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #17364 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2022, 05:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Be a DPP. High salary, good worklife balance and no mental health problems
Hearsay DPP pay can match big4?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #17365 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2022, 07:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hearsay DPP pay can match big4?
Yes, heard from my friend Faizal that this is true
Reply With Quote
  #17366 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2022, 09:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Any idea what the latest rounds of salaries for A&G are?
bump 10char
Reply With Quote

  #17367 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2022, 01:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Law soc president

Heard our law soc president has advanced staged cancer(liver, prostate)? Who thinks we should have a new president?
Reply With Quote
  #17368 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2022, 03:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, heard from my friend Faizal that this is true
Isnít Faizal a Chief Prosecutor in AGC? He your friend?!
Reply With Quote
  #17369 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2022, 03:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Be a DPP. High salary, good worklife balance and no mental health problems
How long does it take to be Director in DPP?
Reply With Quote
  #17370 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2022, 05:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Big4 still got WFH policy? I lazy commute to go office sia
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
314 Replies, 309,453 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
702 Replies, 386,845 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,257 Replies, 6,389,389 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,202 Replies, 3,328,909 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,691 Replies, 4,858,167 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,749 Replies, 1,354,883 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
460 Replies, 257,939 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,973 Replies, 2,096,239 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,071 Replies, 2,245,196 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,297 Replies, 985,095 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,646 Replies, 1,494,858 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
108 Replies, 73,209 Views
Visa Internship
3 Replies, 4,269 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 711,717 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,258 Replies, 12,294,739 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 484,069 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
635 Replies, 321,651 Views
Company deduct air ticket from...
0 Replies, 147 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,265 Replies, 740,914 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 156,389 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,759 Replies, 1,012,946 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,885 Replies, 10,192,452 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,756 Replies, 1,474,745 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,027 Replies, 425,064 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,197 Replies, 445,434 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,396 Replies, 1,342,414 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 97,566 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,077 Replies, 3,677,172 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,781 Replies, 4,578,781 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 355,042 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2