Lawyer Salary - Page 1694 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16931 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2022, 11:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
JLC or CC?
Fervent Chambers number 1. $7.5k for first yearer.

Reply With Quote
  #16932 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 08:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
JLC or CC?
If I have aspirations to be a litigator and aspire to eventually be SC, should I go JLC or Big 4 Liti? Also, is this a realistic aspiration?

Reply With Quote
  #16933 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 10:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I have aspirations to be a litigator and aspire to eventually be SC, should I go JLC or Big 4 Liti? Also, is this a realistic aspiration?
JLC duh. If you want to do litigation, it a no-brainer to do a JLC stint first given the cachet it gives you and the exposure you get to HC/CA judges and how they think.

Reply With Quote
  #16934 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 10:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
JLC or CC?
One of the JLCs from nus last year was valedictorian of his batch, gave up his TC with CC for JLC lol.
Reply With Quote
  #16935 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
JLC duh. If you want to do litigation, it a no-brainer to do a JLC stint first given the cachet it gives you and the exposure you get to HC/CA judges and how they think.
Hahaha yeah

That's like asking whether one should choose between an offer in a top US litigation firm like Orrick or Gibson Dunn, or a SCOTUS clerkship
Reply With Quote
  #16936 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 01:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What does counsel/of counsel mean in the hierarchy

Why do some slightly more senior lawyers get this title? They partner or not?
Reply With Quote

  #16937 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 03:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Which B4 would give more exposure/better training say in Drew or A&G? And are we able to select the team when applying for TC?
I am interested to know this too since the team matters a great deal, is there some way we can indicate interest in our application?
Reply With Quote
  #16938 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 04:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
EthosBC salary guide 2022 says the salary ranges for Big 4 is:

First Yearer: $7.5K - $7.9K
2nd Yearer: $8.5K - $9.2K
3rd Yearer: $9K - $10.5K
4th Yearer: $10.5K - $11.8K
5th Yearer +: $12K & above

Seems correct leh. Or you saying EthosBC also BS-ing?

They have no reason to BS also. Most local firm placements/laterals for juniors also done thru direct hires, not through recruitment firms (cos Big 4 are too cheap to use recruiters and there's no lack of lateral applicants).
sounds accurate for big4. Do you have EBC’s salary guide for international firms? Would really want to know
Reply With Quote
  #16939 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 04:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why do some slightly more senior lawyers get this title? They partner or not?
Context matters.

Traditionally, "Of Counsel" was/is used for a relatively experienced lawyer (ie more senior than a senior assoc) who's not on the partnership track or has no expectations to be made an equity partner. These guys are pretty doing their own thing, and it's much easier for them to pack up their practice and move elsewhere. Similar to "Consultant" but Consultant title is usually for super-senior & respected practitioners (very experienced semi-retiring lawyers, former Judges or legal service, etc).

Nowadays the title is used & abused for all sorts of purposes.

Some firms like A&G now use "Counsel" as a rank before junior (salaried) partner. In order to stretch out the rungs.

Some other firms like Providence, simply call all their assoc-level lawyers, "Counsel" which sounds like title inflation to me.
Reply With Quote
  #16940 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2022, 06:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Context matters.

Traditionally, "Of Counsel" was/is used for a relatively experienced lawyer (ie more senior than a senior assoc) who's not on the partnership track or has no expectations to be made an equity partner. These guys are pretty doing their own thing, and it's much easier for them to pack up their practice and move elsewhere. Similar to "Consultant" but Consultant title is usually for super-senior & respected practitioners (very experienced semi-retiring lawyers, former Judges or legal service, etc).

Nowadays the title is used & abused for all sorts of purposes.

Some firms like A&G now use "Counsel" as a rank before junior (salaried) partner. In order to stretch out the rungs.

Some other firms like Providence, simply call all their assoc-level lawyers, "Counsel" which sounds like title inflation to me.
How do u guys choose Recruiters these days? Based on word of mouth, years of experience, or just see who is pretty??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,739 Replies, 1,464,726 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
6 Replies, 3,427 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 733,551 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,720 Replies, 1,334,586 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 8,837 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,611 Replies, 4,827,272 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,235 Replies, 12,256,791 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 314,064 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 221,363 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,735 Replies, 1,003,390 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,066 Replies, 3,661,770 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 376,908 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,955 Replies, 2,081,211 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,983 Replies, 4,494,048 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 154,653 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,052 Replies, 2,230,488 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,485,991 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,770 Replies, 4,560,594 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,160 Replies, 3,306,643 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,862 Replies, 10,150,064 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 218 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
701 Replies, 383,673 Views
Visa Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 125,679 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,204 Replies, 6,352,692 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
746 Replies, 382,216 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 421,354 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
105 Replies, 71,903 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,238 Replies, 584,429 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,491 Replies, 1,901,377 Views
Deutsche Corporate Bank Graduate... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 8,820 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2