Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 18-05-2022, 07:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
actually sounds like cool story bro moment leh.

A firm with bunch of braggy partners and associates leaving because of this reason? Sounds embellished for the article.

Associates leave all the time but "several associates" leaving because of a few boastful partners? Lame.

Not like this industry isn't full of egoistical braggarts from top to bottom anyway
Probably actually happened and was the straw that broke the camel's back - the newspapers would naturally pick the most interesting anecdotes to publish

Old 18-05-2022, 08:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
about the five year thing, not clear based on public reporting that he applied to withdraw on that basis. more likely it was imposed by CJ as a compromise between dismissal asked for by AG and unconditional withdrawal. ("... allowed to withdraw his application to be called to the Bar after he agreed to two conditions set by the court.")\

(interesting legal question - any difference between withdrawal and dismissal of AAS? is there such a thing as res judicata for AAS?)

before we speculate that he is trying a strategy, where he seeks anonymity as some sort of exchange for withdrawal (as opposed to the adjournments for the six), we should probably look at the timelines.

[2022] SGHC 87 was heard on 13 april and decided on 18 april.

ST reports that he applied to withdraw his application on 22 april and sealing and redaction was only sought later. ie, not at time of his application. this is somewhat against the theory that he applied to withdraw to avoid further publicity.

it should also be noted that the AG's application to rescind the sealing order was heard and allowed in [2022] SGHC 93 on 27 april. therefore, at the time of his application, for all he knows, he can expect similar treatment to the six - adjournment and anonymity.
Realise I am a bit late, but I think there is a difference between a dismissal and withdrawal - I think some jurisdictions do ask if you have ever been refused / denied admission in any other jurisdiction. If he successfully withdrew his application in SG, he might think he could potentially say that he has never been refused / denied.

Like resigning before an employer can officially terminate you.

This is also possibly one of the reasons why the judge imposed a 5 year ban on applying for admission elsewhere.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-05-2022, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have left a toxic small firm as a junior PQE Assoc to much greener pastures.

However, I worry for a former trainee that I worked closely with.

After my departure, I have remained in touch with Trainee, who is about to complete their TC and be called soon. My former firm is small, suffers repeated IT outage, computer and telephone line breakdowns. There is no electricity on some days.

Trainee has found a much bigger better and larger firm as a LE and thereafter LA which I am so proud off and happy for trainee.

Trainee has come from a very humble background, who has worked their way into law school, and isn't affluent at all. Trainee's story inspires me.

By way of background, I suffered repeated abuse weekly from the Partners in my previous firm, until even my very last day. That firm is bleeding associates and trainees almost every couple of months.

Every Associate is out to outdo one another for the sake of pleasing the Partners, imparting nothing but unhealthy competition. Ratting is the norm. Trainees are bullied by even by the most junior associate. I did not follow such practices.

One of the partners took issue about Trainee's departure and harassed the trainee over their departure, berating what trainee did. Accusing trainee for withholding information.

Partner is unfortunately the supervising solicitor. What can the trainee do if the partner doesn't want to sign the checklist? Partner is vindictive and I fear that they may block the call.

Partner is absolutely messy in their work and invites discussion before scolding you for nothing. I suffered repeated personal attacks while I was with that firm, causing me to doubt my ability. Thankfully, not anymore.

I worry for trainee. Trainee and I worked very well together. Trainee did great work, even better than mine, but I have nothing but respect for. However, the trainee regularly got sabotaged by the other associates, who kept pulling their rank, and passing off trainee's work as their own, giving no credit.

Should my Trainee try and jump TC right now? Can Trainee's new firm, which imh, is a x10000 level up from the current mess, buy out the rest of a TC?

Seniors any thoughts?
Sorry your friend has to deal with these toxic people / situations.

Is the issue just what to do if the partner does not sign off? I really think they should cross that bridge when they come to it. In my experience, partners may talk a big game but at the end of the day they are overwhelmingly more likely to just sign off and be done with you.

If partner doesn't, trainee could always speak to SILE / LawSoc for help - partner likely would rather play ball than drag the situation out and bring the spotlight on themself.

Old 18-05-2022, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Realise I am a bit late, but I think there is a difference between a dismissal and withdrawal - I think some jurisdictions do ask if you have ever been refused / denied admission in any other jurisdiction. If he successfully withdrew his application in SG, he might think he could potentially say that he has never been refused / denied.

Like resigning before an employer can officially terminate you.

This is also possibly one of the reasons why the judge imposed a 5 year ban on applying for admission elsewhere.
That’s too harsh la. Just let him live

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-05-2022, 06:04 PM
Unregistered

A former Drew & Napier lawyer will be struck off for taking upskirt and other intrusive photos of his colleague to "ease his stressful state". s://cna.asia/38Av3Ql
Old 19-05-2022, 06:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
A former Drew & Napier lawyer will be struck off for taking upskirt and other intrusive photos of his colleague to "ease his stressful state". s://cna.asia/38Av3Ql
"ease his stressful state" - maidenless

Old 19-05-2022, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
"ease his stressful state" - maidenless
Sadly this describes a large proportion of the Sinkie beta male population. Forever orbiting around average or slightly-above average Sinkie females who are placed on a pedestal way above their actual market values due to incessant conditioning of Sinkie males to be simps for women. Predictably they have to settle for satisfying their frustrations by taking upskirt photos because they can get no real action irl.

Look, word of advice for all you young men. just go to Vietnam or Thailand where there are legions of young and vastly more attractive girls with amazing assets. Stop mucking around here chasing for average insipid Sinkie females.
Old 19-05-2022, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sadly this describes a large proportion of the Sinkie beta male population. Forever orbiting around average or slightly-above average Sinkie females who are placed on a pedestal way above their actual market values due to incessant conditioning of Sinkie males to be simps for women. Predictably they have to settle for satisfying their frustrations by taking upskirt photos because they can get no real action irl.

Look, word of advice for all you young men. just go to Vietnam or Thailand where there are legions of young and vastly more attractive girls with amazing assets. Stop mucking around here chasing for average insipid Sinkie females.
Why sb can have both wife and mistress, attack our legal system, AG and head of gov on IG FB for so long, stir here and there boh tio lawsuit. Both sinkie men. Why this D&N lawyer so beta?
Old 19-05-2022, 09:52 PM
Unregistered

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/man-who-secretly-filmed-female-staff-in-primary-school-toilet-over-two-days

Man who secretly filmed female staff in primary school toilet over two days jailed 24 weeks

Amir Hussain
PUBLISHED FEB 18, 2016, 7:11 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - A 25-year-old administrative staff at a primary school secretly took eight videos of female staff using the toilet on two consecutive days.

On Thursday, Jondave Ong Han Wei was jailed for 24 weeks.

He pleaded guilty to four charges of insulting the modesty of a woman.

Another four counts of the same were taken into consideration during sentencing.

A district court heard that Ong was employed by recruitment firm People Advantage as a school programme executive, and did administrative work at Keming Primary School in Bukit Batok.

On July 1 last year, he went to a common staff toilet on the ground floor and attached his mobile phone to the sink pipe underneath the basin, using cable ties to secure the phone to the pipe.

He made sure the phone camera was pointing towards the toilet bowl, and switched on the camera's video recording function.

Between 9.46am and 10.08am, he recorded six women using the toilet.

He took three other similar videos at the same toilet later that afternoon. The longest video played for 32 minutes.

The next day, he again recorded four female staff relieving themselves at the same toilet.

At about 6.46pm, however, a staff spotted the camera and informed the police.

In all, the modesty of up to 35 women could have been insulted.

In mitigation, Ong, who did not have a lawyer, pleaded for leniency. He said his offence was out of character and told the court that he had apologised to the school staff.

For insulting the modesty of a woman, he could have been jailed for up to a year and also fined on each charge.

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/ttsh-doctor-suspended-for-4-months-for-upskirt-videos-of-2-women

TTSH doctor suspended for 4 months for taking upskirt videos of 2 women
Salma Khalik
Senior Health Correspondent
PUBLISHED JUN 1, 2021, 2:42 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - A doctor has had his licence suspended for four months for bringing disrepute to the profession. He was caught taking upskirt videos of two women in 2016.

Dr Deshan Kumar Rajeswaran was caught in the act at an NTUC FairPrice supermarket at AMK Hub in July that year.

The police and the Attorney-General's Chambers served him a 24-month conditional warning in October 2016. He satisfied the condition of refraining from similar or other criminal conduct.

The Singapore Police Force had informed the Singapore Medical Council (SMC) of the incident and of the warning issued.

In December that year, the SMC filed a letter of complaint to the chairman of its complaints panel. This panel looks at all complaints and decides if any has merit and, if so, the action that needs to follow.

In April 2017, a complaints committee was set up to investigate the matter.

The doctor, a consultant rehabilitation physician at the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, admitted to the fault in August that year.

He said that his actions were done on impulse as a result of a prolonged period of stress and anxiety at work and at home.

In his written explanation, Dr Deshan said he had sought psychiatric help, and had been attending psychological therapy sessions, as well as maintaining good physical, emotional, psychological and social support systems.

The committee issued a letter of advice to the doctor in December 2017, encouraging him to continue with his treatment.

In January 2018, the SMC wrote to the Minister for Health appealing against the committee's decision. In May 2019, the Ministry of Health (MOH) directed the SMC to appoint a disciplinary tribunal to look into the matter.

Dr Deshan was informed in March 2020. Because of the circuit breaker measures for Covid-19, the pre-inquiry conference was delayed till June.

The tribunal said the harm caused was "moderate", but culpability was low as it had not been premeditated.

It noted that the doctor had been "suffering from persistent depressive disorder" at that time, caused by stress both at work and at home.

He has been treated for this and it no longer affects him. However, the tribunal recommends that he continues with his treatment every two to three months.

As penalty, it imposed a four-month suspension, followed by conditional registration for a year during which he may only work under supervision. Other conditions include no "private consultations without a chaperone present when attending to female patients".

He was also censured and has to pay the cost of the proceedings. The decision was published on the SMC website on June 1.
Old 20-05-2022, 07:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

go to Vietnam or Thailand?? Well-travelled sinkie men are well sought after in the global dating market including white girls.

While this D&N beta male has been hiding in his office cubicle all those years, he could have had a normal functioning relationship with a real woman.

Morale of the story is - Stop being such a legal cuck.

s://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/gpgt-ang-moh-ah-lian-married-to-sinkie-guy-has-a-soft-spot-for-home-grown-restaurant-hans-it-is-so-good.6683605/