Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 13-05-2022, 09:33 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
requires cultivation of past enemies of your political family as your proxies.
LHY LSF side:

Lee Suet Fern visits Chee Soon Juan at Orange & Teal
Lee Suet Fern Has Lunch With Human Rights Warrior M Ravi, Gifted Him With Handmade Masks (whom later saw through the political hedging trick: Mr Ravi went on by labelling Suet Fern as a "fake acquaintance" with "fake smiles" . )
Mr Lee Hsien Yang said that he gave a “meaningful sum” to blogger Leong Sze Hian, who is facing a defamation suit filed by the Prime Minister.

LHL side:

Ong Ye Kung, minister - Ong's father, Ong Lian Teng, was a Barisan Sosialis politician,resigned to protest the "undemocratic acts" of the PAP government
Janil Puthucheary, minister - Puthucheary's father is Dominic Puthucheary, a trade unionist and founding member of the People's Action Party (MP) who later left the party to join Barisan Sosialis. Dominic Puthucheary was detained in February 1963 during Operation Coldstore but was released ten months later and barred from entering Singapore until 1990

Old 14-05-2022, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

Would you like your legacy to be tarnished by a charsiew? (Najib)

Rmb that power is dangerous. It empowers, but it also destroys. If a charsiew grandson gets on the wrong side of power, then the whole clan becomes collateral damage.

Rising from graves is scientifically impossible.

Political hedging is a way to neutralise threats from foes whose backs you had to step over to get to where you were.

Xi JP, "People who have little contact with power, who are far from it, always see these things as mysterious and novel. But what I see is not just the superficial things: the power, the flowers, the glory, the applause. I see the bullpens and how people can blow hot and cold. I understand politics on a deeper level."

Old 14-05-2022, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Default How can i help my former trainee

I have left a toxic small firm as a junior PQE Assoc to much greener pastures.

However, I worry for a former trainee that I worked closely with.

After my departure, I have remained in touch with Trainee, who is about to complete their TC and be called soon. My former firm is small, suffers repeated IT outage, computer and telephone line breakdowns. There is no electricity on some days.

Trainee has found a much bigger better and larger firm as a LE and thereafter LA which I am so proud off and happy for trainee.

Trainee has come from a very humble background, who has worked their way into law school, and isn't affluent at all. Trainee's story inspires me.

By way of background, I suffered repeated abuse weekly from the Partners in my previous firm, until even my very last day. That firm is bleeding associates and trainees almost every couple of months.

Every Associate is out to outdo one another for the sake of pleasing the Partners, imparting nothing but unhealthy competition. Ratting is the norm. Trainees are bullied by even by the most junior associate. I did not follow such practices.

One of the partners took issue about Trainee's departure and harassed the trainee over their departure, berating what trainee did. Accusing trainee for withholding information.

Partner is unfortunately the supervising solicitor. What can the trainee do if the partner doesn't want to sign the checklist? Partner is vindictive and I fear that they may block the call.

Partner is absolutely messy in their work and invites discussion before scolding you for nothing. I suffered repeated personal attacks while I was with that firm, causing me to doubt my ability. Thankfully, not anymore.

I worry for trainee. Trainee and I worked very well together. Trainee did great work, even better than mine, but I have nothing but respect for. However, the trainee regularly got sabotaged by the other associates, who kept pulling their rank, and passing off trainee's work as their own, giving no credit.

Should my Trainee try and jump TC right now? Can Trainee's new firm, which imh, is a x10000 level up from the current mess, buy out the rest of a TC?

Seniors any thoughts?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 14-05-2022, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

Default New york bar

Is it worth doing? I recently passed QLTS as well.

Singapore qualified.
Old 14-05-2022, 06:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Would you like your legacy to be tarnished by a charsiew? (Najib)
s://dinmerican.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/rift-between-prime-minister-najib-and-brothers/
s://.dailyexpress.com.my/news/187355/dr-m-najib-s-brother-came-to-see-me-about-1mdb/

In his second letter, Mahathir said he felt embarrassed for having to repeatedly mention Najib, calling him a “disgrace to his country, race and religion”.
“Unfortunately, he doesn’t have any feeling of shame and even claims to be victimised by others.

“He hopes the Malaysian public will believe that he has been victimised by me and his political enemies,” he said.
He said Najib was “nothing like his father”, Abdul Razak Hussein, the nation’s second prime minister.
“Tun Razak was a principled nationalist who fought for the people, whereas Najib stole the nation’s wealth with the help of Jho Low,” Mahathir said.

Quote:
Rmb that power is dangerous. It empowers, but it also destroys. If a charsiew grandson gets on the wrong side of power, then the whole clan becomes collateral damage.
In their statement issued late yesterday, Najib’s brothers wrote: “We wish to put on record that Tun Abdul Razak was a highly principled man, well-known to all who knew him for his frugality and utmost integrity and any statement or inference to the contrary would be totally false and misleading to his memory and to his service and sacrifices for the nation.

“We take issue with anyone who taints his memory, whatever the motive. We would also like to add that our whole family is united on this issue.”

The statement, signed by all four Najib’s brothers – Johari, Nizam, Nazim and Nazir – came hot on the heels of Rosmah drawing flak with her revelation that it cost RM1,200 to dye her hair.

Quote:
Xi JP, "People who have little contact with power, who are far from it, always see these things as mysterious and novel. But what I see is not just the superficial things: the power, the flowers, the glory, the applause. I see the bullpens and how people can blow hot and cold. I understand politics on a deeper level."

Born in Beijing in 1953, Xi Jinping is the son of revolutionary veteran Xi Zhongxun, one of the Communist Party's founding fathers and a vice-premier.

Because of his illustrious roots, Mr Xi is seen as a "princeling" - a child of elite senior officials who has risen up the ranks.
But his family's fortunes took a dramatic turn when his father was purged in 1962 prior to the Cultural Revolution and imprisoned.

His father, a senior Communist Party official who had been purged a few years earlier, was seized and repeatedly beaten. Student militants ransacked his family’s home, forcing the family to flee, and one of his sisters died in the mayhem. Paraded before a crowd as an enemy of the revolution and denounced by his own mother, the future president of China was on the edge of being thrown into a prison for delinquent children of the party elite.

At the age of 15, the younger Xi was sent to the countryside for "re-education" and hard labour in the remote and poor village of Liangjiahe for seven years.
Old 14-05-2022, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

There is a serious oversupply issue. Law society is not doing its job. Barring 11 law grads from qualifying aint gonna fix it. Try harder King.

Old 14-05-2022, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
There is a serious oversupply issue. Law society is not doing its job. Barring 11 law grads from qualifying aint gonna fix it. Try harder King.
It's only an oversupply if you came from a second rate overseas uni kek.

4PQE here and I'm securing quite a few interviews which are translating into offers over a short period of time. Have had to turn down incessant number of recruiters for those other roles that aren't interesting to me.
Old 15-05-2022, 12:58 AM
Unregistered

Default Pribumi Mobs burn houses of political targets, cronies

Quote:
I am grateful that 38 Oxley will not be demolished, because I feel it is a part of our national heritage. But LKY of all people should have known that the demolition clause cannot override the State: he pushed through reforms in land law that gave the State ultimate power over property here. Many property owners have been displaced over the years, sometimes with inadequate compensation, to make way for development. But would we have had such progress if proprietary rights were recognised? The URA would've spent years litigating against stubborn landowners, or a fortune to buy them out. If PM Lee or the government of the day were so minded, an act of Parliament could have been passed to preserve 38 Oxley, notwithstanding what the Will said.

SL of LVM

‘Most-hated Indonesian businessman’ dies in Singapore

Once the country’s richest man and the symbol of Chinese wealth in Indonesia, Liem was highly resented in Indonesia over his high profile ties with former dictator Suharto. He left behind 5 children.

Liem’s Chinese ethnicity and his dominance in Indonesia's business world however, sparked resentment among Indonesia’s native pribumis. He became the poster boy for the May 1998 anti-Chinese riots in Jakarta, and fled to Singapore after his house was raided, ransacked and burnt by mobs.

Fall of Suharto

On 9 May 1998, a police officer, Dadang Rusmana, was reported to have been killed at a demonstration at Djuanda University. These demonstrators were protesting against massive price rises for fuel and energy, and were demanding that President Suharto step down.

Racial Riots
In May 1998, during two deadly days of racially fueled mayhem, rioters killed 1,000 people and raped 87 women, most of Chinese descent.
Old 15-05-2022, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Dying with Dignity: The Chongzhen Emperor

Rather than facing capture and surrendering to the incoming rebels, the Chongzhen Emperor gathered all members of the imperial household except his sons. Using his sword, he killed Consort Yuan and Princess Zhaoren, and severed the arm of Princess Changping. The emperor committed suicide.

"May the rebels dismember my corpse and slaughter my officials, but let them not despoil the imperial tombs nor harm a single one of our people."
Old 15-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Default Government property at the mercy of protestors. Expect the unexpected

Parliament building and police station burned down during protests in Solomon Islands
s://.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/24/parliament-building-and-police-station-burned-down-during-protests-in-solomon-islands

Police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse protesters demanding the prime minister step down, amid reports of looting

Police in Solomon Islands have used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse hundreds of protesters, who allegedly burned down a building in the parliament precinct, a police station and a store in the nation’s capital of Honiara, amid reports of looting.

The protesters marched on the parliamentary precinct in the east of Honiara, where they allegedly set fire to a leaf hut next to Parliament House where MPs and staffers go to smoke and eat lunch.

“It was quite traumatising for us,” a staff member working at the national parliament said. He said luckily for them the police were able to control the situation, enabling them to leave.

A police station and another building, owned by a Chinese national, were also burned down during the protests.

“We did not expect the crowd to come here,” said a female police officer on duty at the station.

“We were all in our offices when we heard the crowd. We came out to look but they began raining our building with stones. So I shouted to my colleague for us to hide in a room in the station. We were in the room when we started to choke by the smoke of fire. It was then that we realised that they torched the building.”

Advertisement

The protesters were demanding the prime minister, Manasseh Sogavare step down. Many of the protesters come from Malaita province, the most populous province in the country whose provincial government has had tense relations with the central government for years.

The tensions between the provincial and national government intensified in 2019 when Sogavare announced that Solomon Islands would switch its diplomatic allegiance from Taiwan to China, to the chagrin of Malaita premier Daniel Suidani.