Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 12-05-2022 06:35 PM

For those who moved in-house, any regrets?

Unregistered 12-05-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217645)
For those who moved in-house, any regrets?

Nope. Didn't feel like a lawyer at first doing deep-dive legal work, but you adapt to it pretty quickly.

Then you realize that there's a whole world outside the ivory tower of legal practice where you understand how companies actually work.

I hear my ex colleagues still in practice burning day and night, while I almost always knock off on the dot barring a few exceptional days. The pay is decent considering the hours worked. I don't think I can go back to practice.

One caveat though - I was from a mid tier firm so it represents an overall better outcome. YMMV. If you're in a top tier law firm, it might not make financial sense to move inhouse especially to take a paycut.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 12:12 AM

How are Mr Tay and Ms Kuek like as persons?

How are they like actually as persons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217548)
Seeing what happened to the initial 6 who were publicly named, the writing is on the wall (i.e. that he and the other remaining 4 would be publicly named too). He probably saw that and knows he'll be unemployable for the foreseeable future.

As reported, both he and Lynn Kuek took the same approach of trying to downplay their conduct, unlike the other 5 who fessed up the moment they came under SILE investigation. So in the public's eyes, his conduct is even more egregious.

The withdrawal is probably an attempt to portray remorse. Sorta like an act of hara kiri, falling on his sword to rehabilitate his public image. In truth, he likely has little inclination or motivation to continue pursing admission or gainful employment in the legal sector anyways.

My 2cents of the possible strategy here.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217660)
Nope. Didn't feel like a lawyer at first doing deep-dive legal work, but you adapt to it pretty quickly.

Then you realize that there's a whole world outside the ivory tower of legal practice where you understand how companies actually work.

I hear my ex colleagues still in practice burning day and night, while I almost always knock off on the dot barring a few exceptional days. The pay is decent considering the hours worked. I don't think I can go back to practice.

One caveat though - I was from a mid tier firm so it represents an overall better outcome. YMMV. If you're in a top tier law firm, it might not make financial sense to move inhouse especially to take a paycut.

I came from a magic circle firm and went in-house, not for the better hours, but to "understand how companies actually work" as the person who posted above mentions. It's eye-opening. I did not take a paycut, and am still slightly above MC peers, and just about at white-shoe pay (but not Cravath with full bonus). Hours are not significantly better, but a lot more control of my time.

So going in-house doesn't always mean you earn less for the near-term (3 to 5 years). For the long-term, probably less, since partnership in those firms pays better.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217694)
I came from a magic circle firm and went in-house, not for the better hours, but to "understand how companies actually work" as the person who posted above mentions. It's eye-opening. I did not take a paycut, and am still slightly above MC peers, and just about at white-shoe pay (but not Cravath with full bonus). Hours are not significantly better, but a lot more control of my time.

So going in-house doesn't always mean you earn less for the near-term (3 to 5 years). For the long-term, probably less, since partnership in those firms pays better.

Ka ki kong ka ki song

Unregistered 13-05-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217403)
How is our learned friend as opposing counsel? Any experiences?

Charles keep posting IG about Suet Fern , Shengwu

Bullcrap of a politician really , not smart at all, you want both MIW & Oppo to be dominated by the LKY descendants? Ownself oppose ownself

Unregistered 13-05-2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217719)
Charles keep posting IG about Suet Fern , Shengwu

Bullcrap of a politician really , not smart at all, you want both MIW & Oppo to be dominated by the LKY descendants? Ownself oppose ownself

Political hedging is a risk management strategy employed to offset losses in votes by taking an opposite position against the incumbent to ensure your clan's political survival.
The reduction in risk provided by political hedging also typically results in a reduction in potential votes for the incumbent, and requires cultivation of past enemies of your political family as your proxies.

The best way to understand political hedging is to think of it as a form of insurance for the survival of your clan in politics. When a political family and their politically related relatives decide to hedge, they are insuring themselves against a negative outcome's impact on their family's political prominence.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 05:32 PM

Quite a number of old partners have been exiting the industry lately. Is there a shortage of lawyers plaguing the profession?

Unregistered 13-05-2022 06:33 PM

this reads like a journalist's prompt to test industry sentiments, in preparation for a potential article

Unregistered 13-05-2022 08:35 PM

How much do fam lawyers make? Estimate the amount for 1PQE - 4PQE