Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 05-05-2022 07:33 PM

Mass call

Hi all! I will hopefully be called in August this year. I put that I was represented on the OS by my supervisor law firm but my friends recently told me that they had stated that they were unrepresented in the OS. How will this affect my mass call? :(

Unregistered 05-05-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216945)
Hi all! I will hopefully be called in August this year. I put that I was represented on the OS by my supervisor law firm but my friends recently told me that they had stated that they were unrepresented in the OS. How will this affect my mass call? :(

Mass call is common mover. You will probably need to file an application for leave to amend. Call SILE to check the details.

Unregistered 06-05-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216915)
Currently holding offers from both NUS and Cambridge law, but not quite sure on what to choose. Not too keen on going overseas, but Cambridge will likely present better (?) career options. Is the career progression significantly better for Cambridge graduates to justify a move overseas?

Not really. In terms of getting hired, your grades and maybe extracurriculars (e.g. mooting wins for dispute roles) are more important - an NUS FCH will have a leg-up over a Cambridge second-upper. NUS FCH and Cambridge FCH will both get a close look and the decision will turn on your interview performance rather than the brand name of your school.

In terms of career progression after you are hired, your school becomes totally irrelevant. It's all about on-the-job performance.

Unregistered 06-05-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217024)
Not really. In terms of getting hired, your grades and maybe extracurriculars (e.g. mooting wins for dispute roles) are more important - an NUS FCH will have a leg-up over a Cambridge second-upper. NUS FCH and Cambridge FCH will both get a close look and the decision will turn on your interview performance rather than the brand name of your school.

In terms of career progression after you are hired, your school becomes totally irrelevant. It's all about on-the-job performance.

I think FCH anywhere stands better chance for consideration for JLC than 2:1 from Oxbridge even.

Genuine question, what extracurriculars will give a leg up for corporate track? Case comps, are usually business school thing. I suppose moot competition wins look good anywhere, but it's not exactly on point.

Unregistered 06-05-2022 10:58 PM

is rht a good firm to join. hows the pay progression n culture like

Unregistered 07-05-2022 10:27 AM

If you’re not retained in a small firm, should you still stay in the same practice area (Liti) after qualifying, try another area or pivot out of law entirely? Boss had nothing but criticisms about my work standards and personality when he told me he wouldn’t retain me. Since the start of the tc, I was assigned to more menial tasks compared to other trainees who came from higher ranked unis. Deep down, I felt that I was not really part of the team doing the real work and even after requesting for more work, I still never really had much learning opportunities in terms of file exposure. To him, I’m not as fast/smart/jovial as the other trainees. At times, he would single me out in front of everyone to comment on a particular mistake that I have made although other trainees have done the same as well. I have made mistakes along the way but I have tried to improve on the aspects that he had criticised me for and did my assigned tasks nevertheless. I come to office punctually and work late as and when it was required as well. I have come to terms that he doesn’t like me as a person generally and as much as I try to remain positive, I’m not sure how this non retention will aggravate my chances with future employers in the same area. Would anyone be able to share their experiences on how they moved on after not being retained and how they are doing in their new firms? Also, any tips for improving working relationship with future bosses? Thank you.

Unregistered 07-05-2022 12:29 PM

2019 called
litigation in B4

what is the salary for in-house move?

Unregistered 07-05-2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217064)
If you’re not retained in a small firm, should you still stay in the same practice area (Liti) after qualifying, try another area or pivot out of law entirely? Boss had nothing but criticisms about my work standards and personality when he told me he wouldn’t retain me. Since the start of the tc, I was assigned to more menial tasks compared to other trainees who came from higher ranked unis. Deep down, I felt that I was not really part of the team doing the real work and even after requesting for more work, I still never really had much learning opportunities in terms of file exposure. To him, I’m not as fast/smart/jovial as the other trainees. At times, he would single me out in front of everyone to comment on a particular mistake that I have made although other trainees have done the same as well. I have made mistakes along the way but I have tried to improve on the aspects that he had criticised me for and did my assigned tasks nevertheless. I come to office punctually and work late as and when it was required as well. I have come to terms that he doesn’t like me as a person generally and as much as I try to remain positive, I’m not sure how this non retention will aggravate my chances with future employers in the same area. Would anyone be able to share their experiences on how they moved on after not being retained and how they are doing in their new firms? Also, any tips for improving working relationship with future bosses? Thank you.

Non-retention in a small firm can be framed simply as the firm being unable to afford to retain all their trainees. Don't fret too much about this. Based on your described relationship with your principal, you should be seeking another employer in any event.

The more pertinent question is whether you lack the attributes necessary for practice. Right now, you're only receiving feedback from 1 source, which as you claim, is thoroughly biased against you. You may have simply drawn a bad hand for your TC.

To truly assess your capabilities, you should definitely stick it out in practice a while longer under another employer, where you're given opportunities to do substantive legal work and can be assessed fairly on that basis.

The formative years of your career isn't only about substantive experience-building, but also to acquaint yourself with your own strengths and weaknesses, and inclinations. Its better that you find out about your attributes at an early stage, rather than later on when you have more financial responsibilities and it's difficult to switch careers. Good luck.

Unregistered 07-05-2022 01:25 PM

Thoughts on dentons rodyk branding itself as the "Big5 law firm in Singapore"?

Unregistered 07-05-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217078)
Thoughts on dentons rodyk branding itself as the "Big5 law firm in Singapore"?

In the biggest ever sig block. But nobody outside of Rodyk takes them seriously.