Lawyer Salary - Page 1560 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #15591 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 01:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually all the talks about pay and work hours. I would like to share that the legal industry is 1 of the very few industries that has little age discrimination (ageism) issue. In essence, old is gold in the legal industry and hence you are well-regarded esp when you have 15+, 20+ years old experience in certain areas of law. Not forgetting that the legal industry in relatively tardy when it comes to digital transformation and many other advancement. That means lawyers can stick to their old dog skills and no need much upgrade. PS: The founder of my previous law firm doesn't even know how to use Whatsapp and needs his staff to type for him - he's in his 60s btw. And my current partner has even templated her strategy, argument for liti used for the past 10 years

In legal --> old is gold
In many other industries, old is mold. You try to seek a job in your 50s and 99.99% chance you will have doors slammed in your face. You are old, useless, intractable and probably slow.

So yes, while the pay is low, the trajectory is longer than others. Graduates nowadays just wanna easy way out and think that money grows on trees.
Old is gold isit? These are dinosaurs that grew up in a time where a flat is a few thousand dollars, and a bowl of noodles are a few cents.

These are the same people that may be collecting millions as an EP, while you are moaning that don't wanna pay you for TC.

In a time where ppl on scholarship get paid while studying, get free uni and get a well paying civil service job,

you wonder why your parents pay $$ for your uni, for the privilege to do 1-2yr TC for free and then not get retained.

It's better to get a younger boss who understands inflation

Reply With Quote
  #15592 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 02:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually all the talks about pay and work hours. I would like to share that the legal industry is 1 of the very few industries that has little age discrimination (ageism) issue. In essence, old is gold in the legal industry and hence you are well-regarded esp when you have 15+, 20+ years old experience in certain areas of law. Not forgetting that the legal industry in relatively tardy when it comes to digital transformation and many other advancement. That means lawyers can stick to their old dog skills and no need much upgrade. PS: The founder of my previous law firm doesn't even know how to use Whatsapp and needs his staff to type for him - he's in his 60s btw. And my current partner has even templated her strategy, argument for liti used for the past 10 years

In legal --> old is gold
In many other industries, old is mold. You try to seek a job in your 50s and 99.99% chance you will have doors slammed in your face. You are old, useless, intractable and probably slow.

So yes, while the pay is low, the trajectory is longer than others. Graduates nowadays just wanna easy way out and think that money grows on trees.
Reading this post makes me ponder,

Should young law grads make short-term sacrifices for long term gain?

Short term sacrifices --> long hours, toxic culture, manager abuse, peanut pay

Long term gain --> can work longer (probably until retirement age if you are an employee, or until you walk into your grave if you have your own firm), build your prestige, get more young grads to be sai gang warrior

Actually i think this is what the partners and senior partners doing now. They are slowly seeing their long term gain, but had made short term sacrifices 10+ years back

Reply With Quote
  #15593 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 03:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Reading this post makes me ponder,

Should young law grads make short-term sacrifices for long term gain?

Short term sacrifices --> long hours, toxic culture, manager abuse, peanut pay

Long term gain --> can work longer (probably until retirement age if you are an employee, or until you walk into your grave if you have your own firm), build your prestige, get more young grads to be sai gang warrior

Actually i think this is what the partners and senior partners doing now. They are slowly seeing their long term gain, but had made short term sacrifices 10+ years back
The partners and senior partners may earn peanuts in the past, but things also cost peanuts in the past.

Reply With Quote
  #15594 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 03:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually all the talks about pay and work hours. I would like to share that the legal industry is 1 of the very few industries that has little age discrimination (ageism) issue. In essence, old is gold in the legal industry and hence you are well-regarded esp when you have 15+, 20+ years old experience in certain areas of law. Not forgetting that the legal industry in relatively tardy when it comes to digital transformation and many other advancement. That means lawyers can stick to their old dog skills and no need much upgrade. PS: The founder of my previous law firm doesn't even know how to use Whatsapp and needs his staff to type for him - he's in his 60s btw. And my current partner has even templated her strategy, argument for liti used for the past 10 years

In legal --> old is gold
In many other industries, old is mold. You try to seek a job in your 50s and 99.99% chance you will have doors slammed in your face. You are old, useless, intractable and probably slow.

So yes, while the pay is low, the trajectory is longer than others. Graduates nowadays just wanna easy way out and think that money grows on trees.
This type better set up old folks home la.

When digitalisation getting more and more prevalent, he will be forced to use his whatsap. Anyway he is in his 60s, considered semi retire liao. Such tech to him is not impt. So he can hire senior citizens into his firm and make it an old folks law firm. Old is gold ma. See whether his clients will choose a young and dynamic and fast thinking solicitor or an old rusty out dated lawyer.

His clients are recycled one ? Those old usual clients ?
Reply With Quote
  #15595 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 05:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Old is gold isit? These are dinosaurs that grew up in a time where a flat is a few thousand dollars, and a bowl of noodles are a few cents.

These are the same people that may be collecting millions as an EP, while you are moaning that don't wanna pay you for TC.

In a time where ppl on scholarship get paid while studying, get free uni and get a well paying civil service job,

you wonder why your parents pay $$ for your uni, for the privilege to do 1-2yr TC for free and then not get retained.

It's better to get a younger boss who understands inflation
Errr... to this OP, actually not just legal industry, your argument works for most if not all industries too.

If that's the case, I think might as well jump off the building since we cannot live and thrive like the dinosaurs. At least, these dinosaurs now are earning 6-7 digit yearly


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #15596 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 05:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The partners and senior partners may earn peanuts in the past, but things also cost peanuts in the past.
Actually, I am thinking, if we are generalizing that our pay should be pegged to inflation.....civil service (incl doctors) pays had been stagnant for the past x years. If you want to get a job with salary pegged to inflation, then perhaps should consider going for election?
Reply With Quote

  #15597 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 06:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Errr... to this OP, actually not just legal industry, your argument works for most if not all industries too.

If that's the case, I think might as well jump off the building since we cannot live and thrive like the dinosaurs. At least, these dinosaurs now are earning 6-7 digit yearly

Regarding the 'old is gold' argument, to certain extent, it is quite true. But do be mindful that when you get older, you tend to have lower stamina, your mind is probably not as acute as you might be, and you may talk and slur so slowly in court (if in liti) that the judge will probably be rolling his/her eyes, wishing that you end your argument faster. But this is fine, if you a bunch of minions doing the grunt work. Your role will just be consultative and your advice will be highly regarded coz old is gold mah. Can charge clients SGD 1.5k per hour of work.

When one is ageing, it's either you become like wine (the older, the better), Or you become like a bread (the older you are, the more mold you have). So even though these EPs are dinosaurs, eh at least the world sees dinosaurs (and its fossils) as something valuable. The archeologists will probably win some Nobel-prize level award sia
Reply With Quote
  #15598 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 08:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

May I ask how the culture is like at Eldan Law? I am contemplating a move there as an associate.
Reply With Quote
  #15599 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 09:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Will Baker Singapore follow Baker US in matching the US$215k Milbank scale?
Reply With Quote
  #15600 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 09:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Heard some B4 partners are not allowing some assocs to progress in their PQE scale so that they don't have to give the "big" pay bump to all their Assocs.

With the pay bump, I am sure some JPs and Counsels will be asked to leave the firm end of next year since their billings cannot support the salary increment of their Assocs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,856 Replies, 6,228,632 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,495 Replies, 1,969,523 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,685 Replies, 2,248,791 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,003 Replies, 520,803 Views
Marriott International
0 Replies, 34 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,250 Replies, 872,915 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,841 Replies, 2,795,763 Views
Internship tips
5 Replies, 199 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,429 Replies, 3,372,622 Views
HSBC Bank ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 57,742 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
872 Replies, 224,176 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
199 Replies, 158,841 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
310 Replies, 138,470 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 390,335 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,331 Replies, 2,229,243 Views
PSA International ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
86 Replies, 23,801 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,992 Replies, 787,068 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 61,348 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,585 Replies, 3,023,735 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 138,427 Views
ST Engineering Aerospace ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 35,764 Views
Mapletree Investments
7 Replies, 14,356 Views
is this tech job normal? ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 3,664 Views
Need some advice if I should early... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 1,045 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 25,020 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,011 Replies, 8,678,240 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
547 Replies, 187,948 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,913 Replies, 1,863,135 Views
dealing with freelance investor
9 Replies, 3,409 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,047 Replies, 357,368 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2