Lawyer Salary - Page 153 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1521 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree with you.

I know many GLBs who are very capable and quite a handful of them are in big 4 firms and international law firms and JLCs. Also, for moots at least one from every cohort have been representing school and winning local competitions. Also it is not uncommon that a GLB gets onto the Dean's list as well.

In fact their achievements in their very own small numbers are beyond the proportion of the general LLB cohort they are competing against.
agreed, GLBs generally do better in the job market vis-a-vis LLBs with similar grade profiles.

Reply With Quote
  #1522 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree.

The next wave is on international arbitration and cross border deals whether you are in disputes or corporate.

Firms will want candidates from a well branded school with an international focus. Some people just diss this off by saying that Singapore has no demand for such an area but these people tend to only see what's in front of them and not beyond.

I guess if international work is not your cup of tea, there is always criminal and family law?

these areas in shortage of lawyers that's why there is a third law school right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Those doing law as second degree from Smu Suss Jd are just buying a law degree.

Why spend $100000 for piece of paper when nobody recognize these schools outside singapore

I am saying this cus job market is bad in singapore and they cannot go elsewhere

employers prefer nus graduates because the curriculum is way more vigorous


Reply With Quote
  #1523 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

nus glb = world class, top in asia
smu jd = can't get in nus but still want a law degree so paid for one
sim jd = what's that?

Reply With Quote
  #1524 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree.

The next wave is on international arbitration and cross border deals whether you are in disputes or corporate.

Firms will want candidates from a well branded school with an international focus. Some people just diss this off by saying that Singapore has no demand for such an area but these people tend to only see what's in front of them and not beyond.
With all this talk about "well branded" schools can anyone give an insight into how international firms and the big 4 "rank" the approved universities?

I assume it is something like this?
1a. Yale, Harvard (both post-grad)
1b. NYU (post-grad), Oxford, Cambridge
2a. NUS, LSE, UCL
2b. SMU, Uni Mel (post-grad)
3. Remaining UK schools, Monash, Sydney
4. Remaining Australian schools
5. New Zealand
Reply With Quote
  #1525 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With all this talk about "well branded" schools can anyone give an insight into how international firms and the big 4 "rank" the approved universities?

I assume it is something like this?
1a. Yale, Harvard (both post-grad)
1b. NYU (post-grad), Oxford, Cambridge
2a. NUS, LSE, UCL
2b. SMU, Uni Mel (post-grad)
3. Remaining UK schools, Monash, Sydney
4. Remaining Australian schools
5. New Zealand
If I may add my inputs, let's talk about what most singaporeans have done and then rank the schools accordingly.
With the exception of a very select few that have gone into academia, with a NUS LLB and go on to Yale to further their studies with a JSM and JSD, etc, most Singaporeans would traditionally have come from NUS/SMU for their undergrad LL.B.
My gut feel is that we view it this way among recruitment partners:
(1) the best are people with a LL.B (first class) from any law school (but sg qualified) and they go on to do a LL.M (or BCL) from either Cambridge, Harvard and Oxford. Those are the best. Of course if they have a PhD to supplement, even better. But chances are people with PhD go on to become academics.
(2) next, are people with BA law from Oxbridge. A BA law from oxbridge at high 2:1 is roughly equivalent to a NUS weak first class (more than 5% but below 10% of cohort) or a very strong SMU magna. A first from Oxbridge is in a league of its own and potentially equal in status to a strong first class or very high summa from SMU (more comparable are those with the double degrees rather than single degree).
(3) next are the people with strong NUS 2:1 or SMU magna. These are equivalent to a UCL/LSE/Durham first class. A mid 2:1 from NUS / SMU cum laude would be equivalent to all other first class on the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia).
(4) NUS weak 2:1 or 2:2 LL.B or SMU (lower than cum laude) would be equivalent to all 2:1 LL.B from the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia). A first class from the list of omitted universities would belong here.
(5) any 2:2 LL.B or lower from the list of scheduled universities / 2:1 LL.B from the list of omitted universities.
Reply With Quote
  #1526 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

I am a year 2 law student looking at options. Is it better to go to CC or JLC? Seems like international work is the way to go now?
Here's a tray of eggs. How many chickens have you got?

Please be realistic. We take like 5 new trainees a year? This number includes Firsts from NUS, SMU, OxCam, Harvard, Yale and a crapload of firsts from leading universities all over the globe. You're a second year NUS student. Unless you're at the top of the Dean's list and have a surefire way of keeping your ass there for the next 3 years, you may have to accept the near certainty that a CC TC is just not going to happen.

Sorry to dampen your hopes, but that $10k trainee paycheck is not going to come easy. If you really want to come in, you stand a far better chance "lateralling in" after a few years in Big4 practice.
Reply With Quote

  #1527 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2017, 11:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How much better is the pay?
Silver circle - approx 20-30% better
Magic circle - approx 60-70% better
White shoe - 80-100% better

It's quite significant.
Reply With Quote
  #1528 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This is bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I may add my inputs, let's talk about what most singaporeans have done and then rank the schools accordingly.
With the exception of a very select few that have gone into academia, with a NUS LLB and go on to Yale to further their studies with a JSM and JSD, etc, most Singaporeans would traditionally have come from NUS/SMU for their undergrad LL.B.
My gut feel is that we view it this way among recruitment partners:
(1) the best are people with a LL.B (first class) from any law school (but sg qualified) and they go on to do a LL.M (or BCL) from either Cambridge, Harvard and Oxford. Those are the best. Of course if they have a PhD to supplement, even better. But chances are people with PhD go on to become academics.
(2) next, are people with BA law from Oxbridge. A BA law from oxbridge at high 2:1 is roughly equivalent to a NUS weak first class (more than 5% but below 10% of cohort) or a very strong SMU magna. A first from Oxbridge is in a league of its own and potentially equal in status to a strong first class or very high summa from SMU (more comparable are those with the double degrees rather than single degree).
(3) next are the people with strong NUS 2:1 or SMU magna. These are equivalent to a UCL/LSE/Durham first class. A mid 2:1 from NUS / SMU cum laude would be equivalent to all other first class on the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia).
(4) NUS weak 2:1 or 2:2 LL.B or SMU (lower than cum laude) would be equivalent to all 2:1 LL.B from the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia). A first class from the list of omitted universities would belong here.
(5) any 2:2 LL.B or lower from the list of scheduled universities / 2:1 LL.B from the list of omitted universities.
Reply With Quote
  #1529 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am thinking doing a jd.

For those who are doing or have done so

where do you get so much money from to pay school fee
costs $70k- $150k

how long did you take to earn the amount back?

where do jd go after they graduate?

the job market so bad now so should i do law?
Reply With Quote
  #1530 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I may add my inputs, let's talk about what most singaporeans have done and then rank the schools accordingly.
With the exception of a very select few that have gone into academia, with a NUS LLB and go on to Yale to further their studies with a JSM and JSD, etc, most Singaporeans would traditionally have come from NUS/SMU for their undergrad LL.B.
My gut feel is that we view it this way among recruitment partners:
(1) the best are people with a LL.B (first class) from any law school (but sg qualified) and they go on to do a LL.M (or BCL) from either Cambridge, Harvard and Oxford. Those are the best. Of course if they have a PhD to supplement, even better. But chances are people with PhD go on to become academics.
(2) next, are people with BA law from Oxbridge. A BA law from oxbridge at high 2:1 is roughly equivalent to a NUS weak first class (more than 5% but below 10% of cohort) or a very strong SMU magna. A first from Oxbridge is in a league of its own and potentially equal in status to a strong first class or very high summa from SMU (more comparable are those with the double degrees rather than single degree).
(3) next are the people with strong NUS 2:1 or SMU magna. These are equivalent to a UCL/LSE/Durham first class. A mid 2:1 from NUS / SMU cum laude would be equivalent to all other first class on the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia).
(4) NUS weak 2:1 or 2:2 LL.B or SMU (lower than cum laude) would be equivalent to all 2:1 LL.B from the list of scheduled universities (UK as well as Australia). A first class from the list of omitted universities would belong here.
(5) any 2:2 LL.B or lower from the list of scheduled universities / 2:1 LL.B from the list of omitted universities.
"My gut feel" says it all. Who's the "we"?
You do know that it is not really that difficult to get into programmes similar to Cambridge LLM if you have a first from a decent university right? The added value of doing a masters immediately post llb is almost negligible unless you are aiming for academia - and you will be wasting one year of your PQE.

Truth is every partner/recruiter/firm will have different standards and preferences when it comes to the candidates. Some place greater emphasis on academics and some care more about fit and attitude, etc. Undeniably, there are some schools which would rank higher than than others. Further, a first from a decent university would likely give your cv a greater chance of being noticed and then shortlisted for interviews. However, when it comes to retention, it is more about your work performance, fit and attitude. As you progress in your legal career, your results matter less and less.

Next question you would probably ask is what is a "decent" university? It again depends on the people reading your cv and doing the recruitment. If you are applying to an international firm with foreign graduate recruitment, SMU is likely going to be ranked the same as any other Russell group university. As another example, if the partner reading your cv went to the same university as you, chances are you will have a higher chance of being noticed and shortlisted.

Times are tough, whichever school you are in, work hard to get good results, get internship experience, do your best for the internships and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 11:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,572 Replies, 661,045 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
711 Replies, 355,379 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,519 Replies, 1,477,795 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,306 Replies, 4,619,406 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,717 Replies, 3,398,053 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,345 Replies, 821,772 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 29,446 Views
Personal Banker for Fresh Grad
3 Replies, 258 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 26,037 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 15,439 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,544 Replies, 402,815 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
807 Replies, 604,778 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,428 Replies, 1,588,915 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 53,040 Views
Changing industry
0 Replies, 88 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 12,005 Views
FairPrice Supermarket ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 4,277 Views
how much shall I expect for a vp... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
51 Replies, 59,589 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 53,946 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
991 Replies, 405,613 Views
How to get into Banking industry? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 4,385 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 93,581 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
84 Replies, 71,175 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
3 Replies, 1,103 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,703 Replies, 1,133,546 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 5,614 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 58,482 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2