Lawyer Salary - Page 1520 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 30-12-2021, 09:23 AM
Unregistered

Stay away from law girls. What you really want is a partner who understands that you work long hours and what that entails. Preferably one who works long hours herself. However, this need not be in law. Preferably in the "caring" professions. Healthcare or social workers or teachers may be a good match.

Most law girls are not worth the trouble. Too demanding, argumentative, and high expectations. The worst are those who try to portray an influencer lifestyle but cmi in terms of looks or savviness (Law is not a career that lends one to doing side hobbies well, unless you're inhouse counsel hehe.) Difference is these law girls can afford to buy their own handbags instead of leeching off sponsors. But due to their earning power, their expectations for their partners and for life, increase dramatically as well.

Very few guys find a woman more attractive because she is super smart and has high earning capacity. Intelligence makes people more attractive for sure, but there are diminishing marginal returns for women. Your partner should be smart up to a point - anything beyond that and things can go either way.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 30-12-2021, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stay away from law girls. What you really want is a partner who understands that you work long hours and what that entails. Preferably one who works long hours herself. However, this need not be in law. Preferably in the "caring" professions. Healthcare or social workers or teachers may be a good match.

Most law girls are not worth the trouble. Too demanding, argumentative, and high expectations. The worst are those who try to portray an influencer lifestyle but cmi in terms of looks or savviness (Law is not a career that lends one to doing side hobbies well, unless you're inhouse counsel hehe.) Difference is these law girls can afford to buy their own handbags instead of leeching off sponsors. But due to their earning power, their expectations for their partners and for life, increase dramatically as well.

Very few guys find a woman more attractive because she is super smart and has high earning capacity. Intelligence makes people more attractive for sure, but there are diminishing marginal returns for women. Your partner should be smart up to a point - anything beyond that and things can go either way.
My spouse is a lawyer and I find her plenty attractive. Not high maintenance at all. In fact, I am glad that she can help to contribute to the family expenses.

Old 30-12-2021, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

This exactly describes a few law girls I already know. Especially those who type long paragraphs. Gives me migraines.

Old 30-12-2021, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You should have given this advice 5 years ago. Would have saved me much grief
Speak from personal experience. Keep your sanity.
Old 30-12-2021, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
This exactly describes a few law girls I already know. Especially those who type long paragraphs. Gives me migraines.
I feel you. And although the paragraphs above are at risk of generalising law girls, I echo its sentiments. In terms of the traditional gender roles and expectations, law girls are demanding, argumentative, sometimes very, very fussy. It comes with the job.

Stay away. If she's unmarried, you know why.
Old 30-12-2021, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It’s actually much lesser at Cambridge then. Think around 9-10 in my year.
I know the intake at Oxford is much bigger
Nobody cares.

Also, who knows if you’re actually cambridge. Show linkedin screenshot? NPNT. Otherwise, we suspect u from SMU

Old 30-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Speak from personal experience. Keep your sanity.
Yeah no one told me, found out too late.
As earlier posters said, the caring professions would work, healthcare or teachers.
There’s a reason why they say caveat emptor
Old 30-12-2021, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

imo its not so much the profession as the kind of person/personality it attracts.

anecdotal experience - straight guys are chill slackers, usu quit after 2yrs to go inhouse cos dont want to work so hard. by that time the pants size xxl alr and the moobs bigger than cleaner auntie

gay guys are the kind who show up to the office (before covid) looking like they came straight from gq magazine photoshoot and proceed to give 200% 24hrs a day 7 days a week. always damn bitchy about what u wearing like i rly dgaf where my shirts come from pls

girls got 2 types. one is the neurotic easily stressed control freak cry in toilet at lunch for dunno what fk reason kind. do not date/marry. can handle other peoples failing marriage but not their own lmao

the other is as above poster said, super chio ig got 1m followers lunch at mbs use her code for 10% off. this kind you bill all the hours in 1 yrs for 200 yrs still dun have enough money to support her lifestyle

in comparison doctors for example are mostly normal well adjusted people
Old 30-12-2021, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

^ is gold, but how come this become dating forum now??
Old 30-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
imo its not so much the profession as the kind of person/personality it attracts.

anecdotal experience - straight guys are chill slackers, usu quit after 2yrs to go inhouse cos dont want to work so hard. by that time the pants size xxl alr and the moobs bigger than cleaner auntie

gay guys are the kind who show up to the office (before covid) looking like they came straight from gq magazine photoshoot and proceed to give 200% 24hrs a day 7 days a week. always damn bitchy about what u wearing like i rly dgaf where my shirts come from pls

girls got 2 types. one is the neurotic easily stressed control freak cry in toilet at lunch for dunno what fk reason kind. do not date/marry. can handle other peoples failing marriage but not their own lmao

the other is as above poster said, super chio ig got 1m followers lunch at mbs use her code for 10% off. this kind you bill all the hours in 1 yrs for 200 yrs still dun have enough money to support her lifestyle

in comparison doctors for example are mostly normal well adjusted people
Nah, it's because of the competitiveness of the industry and the exploitation of the juniors. Lawyers have diverse personalities, just that it takes a certain type of personality to willingly stay and face such exploitative behaviour (i.e. 6k/mth as NQ compared to the 100s to 300+k/month for random EPs in mid to large firms), especially in litigation (where you need to be able to handle large amounts of stress from superiors and clients).

For lawyers, if you want to be successful, you're competing on a global scale (big deals and litigations are rarely SG based), whereas most doctors just need to compete in their heartland mall or around SG at best (SG has the benefit of having comparative wealth in the region, so they can also have better medical facilities, which allows doctors to overcharge).

The medical industry have lobbied successfully to keep SG medical industry locked-up for only a few schools. They also managed to successfully overcharge and bill for medical procedures, safe in the knowledge that people think "money can't buy health".

This allows them to become very close-knit and protectionist, since they aren't fighting off large hordes for patients (for example, try to find a doctor to give expert testimony against another doctor or say they overcharged as compared to finding a lawyer to sue another lawyer).

Also, they have the added benefit of having the general public trust and affection (even if I overcharge you or screw up, the public will believe me), and don't need to fear that their client (or the counterparty) is trying to screw them. This prevents you from being jaded or suffering mental health problems from stress. Even if you f*ck up badly, the patients are unlikely to find out, since the hospital (and the staff doctors/nurses) will help to cover up your f*ckups as much as possible. This creates a far more stress-free environment.

If SG legal industry was locked-up for only a few schools (like it was last time) and charged fees in line with the global market, you'll suddenly find that most of the lawyers are "well-adjusted" too. Couple that up with an industry-wide "agreement" to shield each other, and you'll have saint-like legal practitioners.

It's the industry's fault, not the people inside.