Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 25-12-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195013)
Hi im OP. Thanks for advice . I was considering between a SG training contract (2yrs) at the int’ll firm, versus JLC. Its a really tough one. Still mulling.

But yes, there’s only the bunch of us singaporeans in oxon / cantab, and the numbers are whittled down when you count those who came back to SG / got into JLC.

If you’re looking at becoming a HC judge in future, might be good to be a JLC.
Otherwise, try to get a Sidley TC?

Unregistered 25-12-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195081)
If you’re looking at becoming a HC judge in future, might be good to be a JLC.
Otherwise, try to get a Sidley TC?

Honestly, the guy is either a troll or humble-bragging - oh which of these two immensely attractive options is more attractive? Oh, everyone, please tell me how I am upstanding and outstanding in my field, and how to best deal with my 1st Class.

Stop feeding the troll lol.

Unregistered 25-12-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195098)
Honestly, the guy is either a troll or humble-bragging - oh which of these two immensely attractive options is more attractive? Oh, everyone, please tell me how I am upstanding and outstanding in my field, and how to best deal with my 1st Class.

B4 is better on a post tax basis

Unregistered 26-12-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

First and foremost, becoming a HC judge requires something that even a Sidley partner may not have, and that's political connections. Every one with a BA (Cantab) can say they wanna be the PM of Singapore, but only 1 of them can become the PM.

Unregistered 26-12-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Why so salty hahaha didnt get in to Oxbridge, and failed to get FCH even in local?

Unregistered 26-12-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195131)
First and foremost, becoming a HC judge requires something that even a Sidley partner may not have, and that's political connections. Every one with a BA (Cantab) can say they wanna be the PM of Singapore, but only 1 of them can become the PM.

What nonsense are you talking about? Being a HC judge is not about any form of connections, it is about hard work, being the best in your field and standing out. Look at the current HC bench and that would be obvious. Most of the credentials of the HC judges speak rather obviously for themselves. It is no coincidence that they all just happen to be excellent lawyers.

Of cos, it requires a bit of luck and timing to be sure, but that’s the case for everything good in life.

Unregistered 26-12-2021 12:37 PM

Recently saw a PAP wannabe UK magistrate judge on tiktok.

What type of judge is that? Why located in sg, but a foreign judge?

Or is it for nice only the title? Any ah cat ah dog can apply?

Unregistered 26-12-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195145)
What nonsense are you talking about? Being a HC judge is not about any form of connections, it is about hard work, being the best in your field and standing out. Look at the current HC bench and that would be obvious. Most of the credentials of the HC judges speak rather obviously for themselves. It is no coincidence that they all just happen to be excellent lawyers.

Of cos, it requires a bit of luck and timing to be sure, but that’s the case for everything good in life.

HAHAHA
10char

Unregistered 26-12-2021 08:06 PM

how is work at agc like?
do they match salary for 3pqe?
currently in big 4

Unregistered 26-12-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195140)
Why so salty hahaha didnt get in to Oxbridge, and failed to get FCH even in local?

To be fair - it's harder to get FCH in local than Oxbridge undergrad as a SG-porean, there's too many local students pulling down the bell curve.

To also be fair to the Oxbridge grads, they get more exposure and experience (due to the school they are in), so I'd say they have a better overall package as a FCH than a local FCH.