Lawyer Salary - Page 1489 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #14881 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 01:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yup. Guess UK TC wins but the tax is a killer (how do you even get a banded rate of up to 40%?) I am absolutely appalled at their high income tax. NQ to NQ, the present Part B + PTC means it is one year. UK TC/SQE 2 years, LPC is one year full time. That's 3 years (correct me if I'm wrong).

So properly computed, Part B + PTC (1Y) = 2 Year SQE + 1 year LPC. SG NQ takes 1 year, UK takes 3 years hence UK NQ = 2 PQE for SG.

This *might* change in future. Who knows.
LPC if remember correctly has accelerated version if you're sponsored by your firm. 7 months start to finish, full time, fail anything you lose your TC.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #14882 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 06:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So how do i get from SG to NY???
Just work in any transactional team and apply lol. They are desperate for associates right now.

Reply With Quote
  #14883 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 06:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LPC if remember correctly has accelerated version if you're sponsored by your firm. 7 months start to finish, full time, fail anything you lose your TC.
No only Slaughter and May does that. My firm had people who failed modules and they just retook during their TC.

Reply With Quote
  #14884 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 09:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just work in any transactional team and apply lol. They are desperate for associates right now.
Really?? Do they usually not require a JD? And called to NY bar??
Reply With Quote
  #14885 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 04:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It wouldn’t hurt to let people who fail a bar exam subject take it again in another year. Rather than making bar exams more difficult, a better option would be to mark on a bell curve and only allow 50% to pass each year. The remainder will just have to retake it in another year. In the interim, they should be made a legal exec in firms rather than an associate
Reply With Quote
  #14886 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 05:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Really?? Do they usually not require a JD? And called to NY bar??
They take Canadians and Australians - why would they treat Singaporeans differently?

You take the bar after you’ve started working
Reply With Quote

  #14887 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 05:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
They take Canadians and Australians - why would they treat Singaporeans differently?

You take the bar after you’ve started working
Number 1 - Canadian lawyers have JDs, like US lawyers. It is the general perception that a JD lawyer is better than an LLB lawyer, since JD is regarded as a post-grad professional degree in the Anglo American world.

Number 2 - the global economy of high finance and transaction is still very much a white man's world. It is just the reality that someone from the OECD economies of Canada or Australia, will be preferred over someone from Singapore, even if they're theoretically equally qualified and/or experienced.

This is the harsh reality of life. and no I'm not a racial equality SJW.
Reply With Quote
  #14888 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Number 1 - Canadian lawyers have JDs, like US lawyers. It is the general perception that a JD lawyer is better than an LLB lawyer, since JD is regarded as a post-grad professional degree in the Anglo American world.

Number 2 - the global economy of high finance and transaction is still very much a white man's world. It is just the reality that someone from the OECD economies of Canada or Australia, will be preferred over someone from Singapore, even if they're theoretically equally qualified and/or experienced.

This is the harsh reality of life. and no I'm not a racial equality SJW.
Ooof. Someone hasn't actually worked in an international firm before I see and likes to talk purely based on his own prejudices


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #14889 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It wouldn’t hurt to let people who fail a bar exam subject take it again in another year. Rather than making bar exams more difficult, a better option would be to mark on a bell curve and only allow 50% to pass each year. The remainder will just have to retake it in another year. In the interim, they should be made a legal exec in firms rather than an associate
So you're saying they should fail people who would otherwise be qualified just to keep numbers low? U okay?
Reply With Quote
  #14890 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So you're saying they should fail people who would otherwise be qualified just to keep numbers low? U okay?
When the bar exams become more difficult, X% of people would fail anyway.
Rather than make it difficult which really increases the stress level for everyone, marking it on a bell curve to allow (100-X)% of people to pass makes the most sense
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,443 Replies, 457,290 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,991 Replies, 1,660,457 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
604 Replies, 323,484 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
446 Replies, 198,842 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 83,997 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,033 Replies, 4,566,771 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,480 Replies, 5,310,355 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,590 Replies, 789,640 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
500 Replies, 184,950 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
637 Replies, 497,928 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 90,694 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,284 Replies, 7,853,327 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,081 Replies, 795,512 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,314 Replies, 2,796,570 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
191 Replies, 72,726 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,467 Replies, 684,300 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
260 Replies, 97,459 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
758 Replies, 368,006 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,191 Replies, 1,962,313 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
149 Replies, 134,809 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
953 Replies, 313,866 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
369 Replies, 130,795 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,442 Replies, 1,606,691 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,485 Replies, 2,749,543 Views
Cpf senior manager
4 Replies, 2,347 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
869 Replies, 265,929 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 146,024 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
208 Replies, 163,433 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
59 Replies, 99,407 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2