Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 08-11-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189390)
Second this. I'm only a second upper from NUS but managed to clinch a couple of book prizes and it has opened doors. I'm definitely not doing as well as JLCs or Firsts but I feel I'm generally punching above my weight.

Law is a prestige obsessed industry, especially for international firms. Build up your profile, get some publications under your belt, plus a few academic awards or Deans list (even from donkey years back) and you'll be a fairly competitive candidate. It goes without saying that you should be coming in from a big 4 at least.

Basically, think of anything that will look good on a lawyer's profile page in an international firm's website, and that should be the angle you should aim for.

The fch are mostly doing very well. So while after 4-5 years of practice grades do not really matter, it matters if you want a career in academia, judiciary or magic circle.
Of course there are small anomalies everywhere where 2:2 eventually do very well.
But it’s easier to succeed when the odds are less stacked against you.

Unregistered 08-11-2021 11:54 AM

In academia, a fch is very important.
In judiciary, a fch is desirable.
In legal policy making, a fch is the standard.

Reason for the high bar in these 3 areas - you have to be good in the law.
You are teaching the next generation of lawyers in academia.
You’re also making decisions or creating legal policies on matters that affect the livelihood of people - the law has to be beyond correct. One must also have that aptitude.

In practice, it’s different. In a business, you must be likable by your clients. A fch alone is not going to make people like you.

Unregistered 08-11-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189396)
In academia, a fch is very important.
In judiciary, a fch is desirable.
In legal policy making, a fch is the standard.

Reason for the high bar in these 3 areas - you have to be good in the law.
You are teaching the next generation of lawyers in academia.
You’re also making decisions or creating legal policies on matters that affect the livelihood of people - the law has to be beyond correct. One must also have that aptitude.

In practice, it’s different. In a business, you must be likable by your clients. A fch alone is not going to make people like you.

While true, unfortunately clients do tend to automatically give you more respect and the benefit of doubt when you come from a big firm. Speaking as someone who jumped from a mid size to a big 4. Clients don't really care if you have book prizes etc though so once you're in, your grades and achievements do stop mattering.

Unregistered 08-11-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189365)
how's the culture like in dentons rodyk?

Be wary and choose your team carefully. i heard banking teams can be toxic.

Unregistered 09-11-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189406)
While true, unfortunately clients do tend to automatically give you more respect and the benefit of doubt when you come from a big firm. Speaking as someone who jumped from a mid size to a big 4. Clients don't really care if you have book prizes etc though so once you're in, your grades and achievements do stop mattering.

Why are the big 4s placed on such a pedestal lol. Was from one and don’t think clients saw me as anything more

Unregistered 09-11-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189466)
Why are the big 4s placed on such a pedestal lol. Was from one and don’t think clients saw me as anything more

More.. than what? You have something to compare to?

Unregistered 09-11-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189469)
More.. than what? You have something to compare to?

Than a paper pusher

Unregistered 09-11-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189417)
Be wary and choose your team carefully. i heard banking teams can be toxic.

And incompetent

Unregistered 09-11-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189511)
And incompetent

That's just the lower tier B4 banking teams. Or actually. It's more like two at the top, one in the middle and the other in the dumps. Avoid the one in the dumps at all costs - i've been amazed at how poor the quality of work from experienced associates in that team can be

Unregistered 09-11-2021 05:22 PM

Any news about the salary reviews?