Lawyer Salary - Page 1365 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #13641 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 11:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone else thinks that the Govt has been recently conflating FTAs and FDIs with the free flow of foreign talent on the CECA issue? There is some relationship but not a strong one.

FTAs and FDIs are mainly structured for the free flow of goods , services and capital.

Japan and Korea have a plethora of FTAs and FDIs but their language and culture forms a natural barrier to the free flow of people.

Australia and New Zealand have a plethora of FTAs and FDIs but they regulate the flow of foreign workers stringently.

Attacking the PSP using FTAs and FDIs is just a cover for their failure or perhaps unwillingness to regulate the massive influx of foreign workers.

The government is fully aware about allowing a foreign worker OVERFLOW because it wants to hurriedly create a bigger and bigger economy to justify its bigger and bigger salaries. the saddest part of the Singapore model of success is that the ruling elites/ policy makers are not on the same boat as the commoners who toil 24/7 which includes us junior/senior assocs/SPs.

Like George Orwell wrote in the Animal Farm, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Reply With Quote
  #13642 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone else thinks that the Govt has been recently conflating FTAs and FDIs with the free flow of foreign talent on the CECA issue? There is some relationship but not a strong one.

FTAs and FDIs are mainly structured for the free flow of goods , services and capital.

Japan and Korea have a plethora of FTAs and FDIs but their language and culture forms a natural barrier to the free flow of people.

Australia and New Zealand have a plethora of FTAs and FDIs but they regulate the flow of foreign workers stringently.

Attacking the PSP using FTAs and FDIs is just a cover for their failure or perhaps unwillingness to regulate the massive influx of foreign workers.

The government is fully aware about allowing a foreign worker OVERFLOW because it wants to hurriedly create a bigger and bigger economy to justify its bigger and bigger salaries. the saddest part of the Singapore model of success is that the ruling elites/ policy makers are not on the same boat as the commoners who toil 24/7 which includes us junior/senior assocs/SPs.

Like George Orwell wrote in the Animal Farm, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
ez reddit repost

Reply With Quote
  #13643 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 12:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
how about you tell me here and i can have some mental preparation when i go in two years later? haha, everyone here keeps saying it's bad but i have no idea what to look out for or prep against etc
Had a friend there a while back. Poor thing was the definition of overworked. Wouldn’t say the culture is toxic but the hours (regular 3am nights, burnt weekends) and the learning curve are no joke. Good luck.

Reply With Quote
  #13644 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 12:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you think this forum is toxic, you will be woefully under-prepared for practice.
nice fearmongering bro
Reply With Quote
  #13645 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ya lol wtf theres no point telling him it's not great without elaborating further honestly i think some of yall here just live off other peoples' anxiety and unhappiness
I mean just ask him to ask his seniors. Easy.

They'll speak freely.
Reply With Quote
  #13646 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 12:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I mean just ask him to ask his seniors. Easy.

They'll speak freely.
LOL like that everything also ask seniors/colleagues/friends la, what’s the forum for? op wanted to ask the forum, is that wrong? maybe he already asked his seniors or he doesn’t know anyone etc.

v hard to answer his qn meh
Reply With Quote

  #13647 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone else thinks that the Govt has been recently conflating FTAs and FDIs with the free flow of foreign talent on the CECA issue? There is some relationship but not a strong one.

FTAs and FDIs are mainly structured for the free flow of goods , services and capital.

Japan and Korea have a plethora of FTAs and FDIs but their language and culture forms a natural barrier to the free flow of people.

Australia and New Zealand have a plethora of FTAs and FDIs but they regulate the flow of foreign workers stringently.

Attacking the PSP using FTAs and FDIs is just a cover for their failure or perhaps unwillingness to regulate the massive influx of foreign workers.

The government is fully aware about allowing a foreign worker OVERFLOW because it wants to hurriedly create a bigger and bigger economy to justify its bigger and bigger salaries. the saddest part of the Singapore model of success is that the ruling elites/ policy makers are not on the same boat as the commoners who toil 24/7 which includes us junior/senior assocs/SPs.

Like George Orwell wrote in the Animal Farm, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
I actually agree with part of your post.

This isn't race-baiting. We are looking at the degree of freedom in relation to the movement (and employment) of people.

While it is discriminatory, no country around the world provides for absolute freedom with regards to the movement and employment of foreigners, without more. Every state is entitled to impose conditions on the employment of foreigners for the benefit of its citizens.

I don't think he answered those questions or framed those issues well.
Reply With Quote
  #13648 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 01:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LOL like that everything also ask seniors/colleagues/friends la, what’s the forum for? op wanted to ask the forum, is that wrong? maybe he already asked his seniors or he doesn’t know anyone etc.

v hard to answer his qn meh
This OP obviously not in the industry. Some things just simply cannot be explained with words.

So in response to your query: yes, very hard to answer his question through the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #13649 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This OP obviously not in the industry. Some things just simply cannot be explained with words.

So in response to your query: yes, very hard to answer his question through the forum.
huh cannot explain with words but then if he asks his seniors or future colleagues then they use what? sign language?
Reply With Quote
  #13650 (permalink)  
Old 18-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I mean just ask him to ask his seniors. Easy.

They'll speak freely.
hi! im the op that asked about a&g -- wanted to ask the forum because the only seniors i know are just one batch above me, so they haven't gone into practice yet. i'm a girl, so unlike guys who know girls two batches above them due to ns, i don't. and i didn't get a chance to intern at the department (though, even if i interned i doubt it would be representative of practice). just thought i'd drop in on this forum to ask around if anyone has any advice/tips/general comments.

if you don't then no worries at all -- but i just don't really see the point in people just telling me "good luck" or "you'll see when you join" because of course i will see when i join. i ask because i want to know some things before i join.

in any case, i understand now it may be hard to put into words, and i appreciate everyone's candour.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Htx
9 Replies, 515 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,161 Replies, 1,368,025 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,294 Replies, 4,795,170 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
570 Replies, 455,657 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
802 Replies, 217,153 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
407 Replies, 394,807 Views
Chinese backed tech company WLB in... ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 816 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,385 Replies, 601,398 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,140 Replies, 1,713,729 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,842 Replies, 966,117 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,941 Replies, 1,798,891 Views
Career Switch To Be A Teacher ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,587 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,031 Replies, 261,649 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 40,599 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,068 Replies, 2,564,239 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,183 Replies, 2,581,538 Views
Jobless for a long long time ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
107 Replies, 4,491 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,865 Replies, 1,450,798 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 105,222 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
517 Replies, 293,703 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,100 Replies, 546,712 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,874 Replies, 625,187 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,712 Replies, 7,462,121 Views
architecture graduate - go hdb or...
3 Replies, 1,404 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 19,863 Views
Grab Finance Graduate Programme... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,733 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,772 Replies, 4,406,424 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 11,942 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2