Lawyer Salary - Page 1337 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #13361 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 03:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How long or how many years will it take for me to reach 8k-10k salary per month? I'm currently a student overseas but I am concerned about paying off the 150k debt.
In a small firm

Reply With Quote
  #13362 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 04:47 PM
Deringerbruhaus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you're probably quite right in re no. 5 position and mcdonalds. Baker was known as the McD of law firms maybe ten years ago - now their pay is somewhere between local b4 and true international.
What an ignorant post. DRD and Bakers are worlds apart these days. Bakers is organised into regional profit centres these days, where as DRD is a 100% franchise model. The standards between Dentons offices differ to a scary extent. Bakers are getting the most prominent files these days, have made a number of prominent recent hires, and the recent pay hike reflects the forward looking strategy and growing profile of the firm. DRD on the other hand are languishing after departure of Mr Jeyeratnem, and console ownself by having many 'senior partners'.

Reply With Quote
  #13363 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why Baker got one CECA disputes partner speak with thick ang moh accent. They sign treaty with India also? Or they moving to chennai business Park.

Reply With Quote
  #13364 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 05:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dentons, like Bakers and DLA Piper, are in the category of "McDonalds" firms in London. Many franchises worldwide, but reputation is by no means MC or SC level. Not saying they aren't solid mid tier firms. But then, the City is chock full of solid mid tier firms.

Difference is, in the Singapore market, being the white worshippers that we are, glue yourself onto any tom dick and harry angmoh firm and you'll instantly gain a boost of outsized prestige.

In the Singapore market, Rodyk's standing is exactly what it is: number 5. This has been the case for decades since the merger with HelenYeo, and will continue to remain so for the foreseeable future, irrespective of the Dentons' branding.
While it is undoubtably true that there is a "Macdonalds" mindset attached to verein or "franchise" style international firms like Dentons, Baker or DLA, it is also true that Baker/DLA pays higher than big4. I do believe there is a difference between "int" firms in SG that pay local rates, and "int" firms that pay >big4 rates.

Money attracts talent, or at least a sufficient level of talent. Obviously firms like Baker SG are not top choices for a variety of reasons (for e.g. the good corp talents will go to true int firms, and no litigator who values their long-term career is going to go to Baker disputes), but I'll have to admit that they are tempting with their "in-between" trans-Atlantic (i.e. less that UK but higher than SG) rate. Even though they are not as well regarded overseas as the true "int" firms, the fact that they pay higher than b4 helps alot in establishing their "rank" among the firms in SG.

Obviously, they can't compete with strong local firms (tier 1s) or the truly int firms (much higher pay), but they occupy a middle ground position where they have some reputation, and higher pay. I don't think it is white-worship bringing people to higher-paying "int" firms, it's just that money talks.

For Dentons Rodyk, I do think you are spot on, as their Rodyk name carries more weight in SG than Dentons. Indeed, their branding could be a lot stronger, since Dentons as a "global" firm doesn't have much cohesive branding (as they are new/asian-majority and therefore not the top choice of Caucasian firms).

Regardless, insofar as they keep paying local rates, they will be regarded as a local firm, and therefore, will have to be content with being "Rodyk". No matter how strong the branding is, if the pay isn't correspondingly higher, you won't get the "brand reputation" of the "int" firms.
Reply With Quote
  #13365 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 05:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is that a general qn or is there something that you've heard that led you to the belief that DRD is a sunset firm? My understanding is that DRD actually bills more than the London office, and pay is competitive or even better than some B4.
Sadly its not competitive with its name sake im us/uk
Reply With Quote
  #13366 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 05:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deringerbruhaus View Post
What an ignorant post. DRD and Bakers are worlds apart these days. Bakers is organised into regional profit centres these days, where as DRD is a 100% franchise model. The standards between Dentons offices differ to a scary extent. Bakers are getting the most prominent files these days, have made a number of prominent recent hires, and the recent pay hike reflects the forward looking strategy and growing profile of the firm. DRD on the other hand are languishing after departure of Mr Jeyeratnem, and console ownself by having many 'senior partners'.
Isnt the reason for the pay hike to dissuade juniors who have been leaving in droves to intl firms such that the inertia is high when u get only 2ish k now when they jump to a uk firm and the only wise target is now to (another) us firm.
Reply With Quote

  #13367 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
While it is undoubtably true that there is a "Macdonalds" mindset attached to verein or "franchise" style international firms like Dentons, Baker or DLA, it is also true that Baker/DLA pays higher than big4. I do believe there is a difference between "int" firms in SG that pay local rates, and "int" firms that pay >big4 rates.

Money attracts talent, or at least a sufficient level of talent. Obviously firms like Baker SG are not top choices for a variety of reasons (for e.g. the good corp talents will go to true int firms, and no litigator who values their long-term career is going to go to Baker disputes), but I'll have to admit that they are tempting with their "in-between" trans-Atlantic (i.e. less that UK but higher than SG) rate. Even though they are not as well regarded overseas as the true "int" firms, the fact that they pay higher than b4 helps alot in establishing their "rank" among the firms in SG.

Obviously, they can't compete with strong local firms (tier 1s) or the truly int firms (much higher pay), but they occupy a middle ground position where they have some reputation, and higher pay. I don't think it is white-worship bringing people to higher-paying "int" firms, it's just that money talks.

For Dentons Rodyk, I do think you are spot on, as their Rodyk name carries more weight in SG than Dentons. Indeed, their branding could be a lot stronger, since Dentons as a "global" firm doesn't have much cohesive branding (as they are new/asian-majority and therefore not the top choice of Caucasian firms).

Regardless, insofar as they keep paying local rates, they will be regarded as a local firm, and therefore, will have to be content with being "Rodyk". No matter how strong the branding is, if the pay isn't correspondingly higher, you won't get the "brand reputation" of the "int" firms.
Yeah its not like u see lee & lee people go around calling themselves hogan lovells

Any idea whats k&l gates straits law like? More intl or more local. Many sources say they pay <big4
Reply With Quote
  #13368 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 06:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sorry, noob here. What is wrong with Baker disputes. I was under the impression that it is on the up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
While it is undoubtably true that there is a "Macdonalds" mindset attached to verein or "franchise" style international firms like Dentons, Baker or DLA, it is also true that Baker/DLA pays higher than big4. I do believe there is a difference between "int" firms in SG that pay local rates, and "int" firms that pay >big4 rates.

Money attracts talent, or at least a sufficient level of talent. Obviously firms like Baker SG are not top choices for a variety of reasons (for e.g. the good corp talents will go to true int firms, and no litigator who values their long-term career is going to go to Baker disputes), but I'll have to admit that they are tempting with their "in-between" trans-Atlantic (i.e. less that UK but higher than SG) rate. Even though they are not as well regarded overseas as the true "int" firms, the fact that they pay higher than b4 helps alot in establishing their "rank" among the firms in SG.

Obviously, they can't compete with strong local firms (tier 1s) or the truly int firms (much higher pay), but they occupy a middle ground position where they have some reputation, and higher pay. I don't think it is white-worship bringing people to higher-paying "int" firms, it's just that money talks.

For Dentons Rodyk, I do think you are spot on, as their Rodyk name carries more weight in SG than Dentons. Indeed, their branding could be a lot stronger, since Dentons as a "global" firm doesn't have much cohesive branding (as they are new/asian-majority and therefore not the top choice of Caucasian firms).

Regardless, insofar as they keep paying local rates, they will be regarded as a local firm, and therefore, will have to be content with being "Rodyk". No matter how strong the branding is, if the pay isn't correspondingly higher, you won't get the "brand reputation" of the "int" firms.
Reply With Quote
  #13369 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 08:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah its not like u see lee & lee people go around calling themselves hogan lovells

Any idea whats k&l gates straits law like? More intl or more local. Many sources say they pay <big4
lmao its a local firm through and through. actually they've remained small, quite partner/top heavy, and don't seem to have expanded at all in years. Headcount expansion is a sign of healthy firm business growth.

If you look at their lawyer profiles, quite a fair number are transplants from k&l gates' foreign offices. which means local lawyer headcount is actually even lower than lower mid tier firms like CNP.
Reply With Quote
  #13370 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deringerbruhaus View Post
What an ignorant post. DRD and Bakers are worlds apart these days. Bakers is organised into regional profit centres these days, where as DRD is a 100% franchise model. The standards between Dentons offices differ to a scary extent. Bakers are getting the most prominent files these days, have made a number of prominent recent hires, and the recent pay hike reflects the forward looking strategy and growing profile of the firm. DRD on the other hand are languishing after departure of Mr Jeyeratnem, and console ownself by having many 'senior partners'.
Think you need to brush up on your comprehension or get your eyes checked. No one is claiming that DRD = Baker right now. Literally said that DRD was like Baker a decade back, when they were still on a franchise model. It was only subsequently that Baker moved onto its current regional profit-sharing structure.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,129 Replies, 253,192 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,131 Replies, 6,430,577 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,190 Replies, 2,401,737 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,139 Replies, 564,123 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
455 Replies, 240,370 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
430 Replies, 160,077 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,601 Replies, 2,022,232 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,791 Replies, 844,790 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,970 Replies, 1,920,312 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,217 Replies, 8,903,573 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,755 Replies, 956,085 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
501 Replies, 140,576 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,060 Replies, 2,930,492 Views
Official 2022 Retrechment thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 7,689 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,613 Replies, 3,093,193 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,616 Replies, 3,495,838 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
230 Replies, 251,588 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
957 Replies, 630,024 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,133 Replies, 297,006 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,172 Replies, 853,375 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,300 Replies, 707,548 Views
ByteDance / TikTok ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,864 Views
2022 Full time/Summer internship... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,311 Views
Open Government Products (under...
9 Replies, 966 Views
Want to Save More Money? Our Free...
6 Replies, 8,489 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,379 Replies, 2,296,623 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 222,626 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 131,064 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,155 Replies, 517,637 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,279 Replies, 1,496,684 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2