Lawyer Salary - Page 1288 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #12871 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2021, 08:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seems like the only conclusion from the above posts are there its not worth joining a sg firm
Itís fine if youíre willing to suck up the shittier pay, same long working hours, for the prospect of making the leap to an international firm a couple of years post-qualification, get a decent in-house job, or the slim chance of making partner.

Reply With Quote
  #12872 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2021, 10:04 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i mean if u can join an int'l firm then of cos better la. the majority of people can't so suck thumb lor

Aiya anw you chose this path. lawyering is far from the best job in terms of effort-to-reward ratio, everybody knows that. u can hv a much better or more lucrative life doing other things

some jobs dont need to put in that many hours but you need to compete in other ways, like sucking up to the right ppl, wayanging playing office politics and tai-ching away work

other jobs like sales, you can get by if you're a smooth talker and know how to schoomze with various ppl. best industries r those u can do jack all and full of not so bright chiobus in the same industry u can trick into getting urself laid

at the junior level, law demands a certain kind of personality that requires u to suck it up or quit, and hang around highly strung plain-Jane nerdy girls to boot
It should be noted that at the junior level for corp, A&G and WongP corp provide good training which is superior to BMWL. They have an established system for training fresh graduates, although for corp one should always take an opportunity from CC if it arises. For litigation, for training purposes it would highly depend on the team you are assigned to. Davinder Singh chambers under DS himself > random litigator under Big 4/intl firm.

Reply With Quote
  #12873 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i mean if u can join an int'l firm then of cos better la. the majority of people can't so suck thumb lor

Aiya anw you chose this path. lawyering is far from the best job in terms of effort-to-reward ratio, everybody knows that. u can hv a much better or more lucrative life doing other things

some jobs dont need to put in that many hours but you need to compete in other ways, like sucking up to the right ppl, wayanging playing office politics and tai-ching away work

other jobs like sales, you can get by if you're a smooth talker and know how to schoomze with various ppl. best industries r those u can do jack all and full of not so bright chiobus in the same industry u can trick into getting urself laid

at the junior level, law demands a certain kind of personality that requires u to suck it up or quit, and hang around highly strung plain-Jane nerdy girls to boot
100% truth. You hit a chord there.

It's a **** job

Reply With Quote
  #12874 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Look at firms like Milbank, MoFo etc
I donít see lawyers from b4 ending up there
L&W has quite a few from A&G (ie SGís only elite corp firm). In other news they offer UK training contract with 3 seats in SG and one in London - no need to get SG qualified (:
Reply With Quote
  #12875 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2021, 03:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
L&W has quite a few from A&G (ie SGís only elite corp firm). In other news they offer UK training contract with 3 seats in SG and one in London - no need to get SG qualified (:
Heard it only offers us rates after 3 years on the job (unless u lateral from a peer firm - which no sg firm is) and its "competitive rates" for those 3 years
Reply With Quote
  #12876 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2021, 11:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Itís fine if youíre willing to suck up the shittier pay, same long working hours, for the prospect of making the leap to an international firm a couple of years post-qualification, get a decent in-house job, or the slim chance of making partner.
Jaded. How many of you feel that Singapore has declined significantly over the last decade? Stagnant pay not keeping up with inflation (except for politicians), rising GST tax and threat of future income taxes raises, rising hdb prices, cecas threatening to take our professional jobs, murderous crazy teens running amok in our midst, and such.

If you ask me ten years ago if I could see Singapore in such a sad state, I would have laughed in your face. Or do we just pop a xanax and see everything through rose-tinted glasses as we were taught in schools to do?
Reply With Quote

  #12877 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It should be noted that at the junior level for corp, A&G and WongP corp provide good training which is superior to BMWL. They have an established system for training fresh graduates, although for corp one should always take an opportunity from CC if it arises. For litigation, for training purposes it would highly depend on the team you are assigned to. Davinder Singh chambers under DS himself > random litigator under Big 4/intl firm.
Iíd say A&G > WongP clearly. Also, the ďtrainingĒ in those firms isnít as structured as they sell it to be - most of the training I received was really just baptism by fire really.
Reply With Quote
  #12878 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2021, 01:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Heard it only offers us rates after 3 years on the job (unless u lateral from a peer firm - which no sg firm is) and its "competitive rates" for those 3 years
wat abt sidley austin and gunderson
Reply With Quote
  #12879 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2021, 05:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Jaded. How many of you feel that Singapore has declined significantly over the last decade? Stagnant pay not keeping up with inflation (except for politicians), rising GST tax and threat of future income taxes raises, rising hdb prices, cecas threatening to take our professional jobs, murderous crazy teens running amok in our midst, and such.

If you ask me ten years ago if I could see Singapore in such a sad state, I would have laughed in your face. Or do we just pop a xanax and see everything through rose-tinted glasses as we were taught in schools to do?
Word. Housing prices moon while salaries stay flat, and we are the snowflakes. Boomers gotta boom.
Reply With Quote
  #12880 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
wat abt sidley austin and gunderson
Interested to know about Sidley too since they are so elite in the US. I heard GD pays straight up US rates but canít tell how far they dock your class year, eg sg 2019 ~ us class of 2020 or 2021 or more.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 21,989 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,564 Replies, 7,338,689 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,678 Replies, 4,599,849 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,001 Replies, 2,497,411 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
114 Replies, 57,101 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,009 Replies, 520,373 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,846 Replies, 607,676 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
437 Replies, 273,777 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,748 Replies, 1,409,285 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,910 Replies, 1,746,224 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
233 Replies, 108,069 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,640 Replies, 1,275,343 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,682 Replies, 4,351,052 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,332 Replies, 570,984 Views
business analyst
1 Replies, 2,742 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,059 Replies, 2,520,957 Views
Perm to contract, increase > 2k... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 4,204 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
625 Replies, 97,989 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
867 Replies, 221,171 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,515 Replies, 730,585 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 369,609 Views
Anyone work in AVA Animal Health... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 8,885 Views
Asset Management Salary ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 3,421 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,022 Replies, 737,669 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
471 Replies, 272,037 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 35,196 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
327 Replies, 452,619 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 153,309 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 26,050 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 100,446 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2