Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 30-06-2021, 05:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Poster above. Sorry for the mass spam - the browser on my phone was glitching massively.
Cool story bro. Your Chinatown firm wifi a bit laggy?

Old 30-06-2021, 06:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Why do posters on this forum make such asinine comments? After a few years in practice, whether you went to NUS/SMU or UK/Aus universities no longer matter as much. Employers value you based on your experience and the quality of your work.

Ironically, MC/US firms that recruit in London/SG take a liking to candidates from UK universities because a large number of partners are British, and it helps with building rapport, cultural fit and whatnot.

I was rejected by NUS and SMU law. I went to what most posters on this forum would consider a second rate degree mill UK university. I'm drawing the increased Milbank/Davis Polk salary (and Cravath scale bonuses). My target hours are less than what a Big 4 associate is expected to pull. I don't see myself as a "successful person" but I don't see myself as a "failure" either.
I think the person's point is that getting into those schools is an achievement in and of itself which should be celebrated. But I don't think he or she implied that said achievement entitles one to a good job in the legal industry, just that the OP has to work harder to get to his or her goal. I don't think your post really helps sets things straight (and also comes across as humblebraggy); in all likelihood you are an outlier and likely got some lucky breaks throughout your career. I am one such person too, but I wouldn't be so quick to say that university stops mattering in a few years. The firm one starts in has a pretty big impact on a lawyer's career trajectory, and your university and grades are great determinants of the firm one starts in (of course, excluding the situation in which your parents have connections in which case congrats for being in the top 10% of legal grads by default).

Imo OP should just take heart that it is still possible in the legal industry to start in a small firm in a transferable practice area, and then move up from there. It is also possible to just take a job as a legal associate in any practice area and weather out Singapore's current market conditions, and then hop to your desired area when the economy gets better. OP's degree may not provide him the same advantages as a Oxbridge/London/NUS/SMU grad, but there are still jobs out there for legal associates.

Old 30-06-2021, 07:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think the person's point is that getting into those schools is an achievement in and of itself which should be celebrated. But I don't think he or she implied that said achievement entitles one to a good job in the legal industry, just that the OP has to work harder to get to his or her goal. I don't think your post really helps sets things straight (and also comes across as humblebraggy); in all likelihood you are an outlier and likely got some lucky breaks throughout your career. I am one such person too, but I wouldn't be so quick to say that university stops mattering in a few years. The firm one starts in has a pretty big impact on a lawyer's career trajectory, and your university and grades are great determinants of the firm one starts in (of course, excluding the situation in which your parents have connections in which case congrats for being in the top 10% of legal grads by default).

Imo OP should just take heart that it is still possible in the legal industry to start in a small firm in a transferable practice area, and then move up from there. It is also possible to just take a job as a legal associate in any practice area and weather out Singapore's current market conditions, and then hop to your desired area when the economy gets better. OP's degree may not provide him the same advantages as a Oxbridge/London/NUS/SMU grad, but there are still jobs out there for legal associates.
provided you do reasonably well in university (e.g. For first job I think attitude and personality are way more important. They either get a glimpse of it during the interview or from interacting with you during internships.

Next are grades and background in relevant subject areas (e.g. doing well in relevant modules for the desired practice area).

If their desired practice area is too generalist then obviously the university they went to becomes of more importance.

but just look around linkedin or in your office - aren't there quite a few graduates from what some people here perceive to be '2nd-tier' or 'lower-rate' universities in the UK and Australia?

Old 30-06-2021, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

the kind of people that still harp on which uni they went to also ask you about which sec sch or jc you went to within the first 20 minutes of meeting them

it says a lot more about the one asking than the one answering

but unfortunately such is life in sinkieland, you have the measure of a man by the schs he attended and his residential address. no one poor ever studied in acsi and went home to a sixth avenue home without a unit number.

we need to get rid of elitism in the law. proposed changes - do not qualify for pc unless you have clocked at least 50hrs of pro bono work with clas in the preceding pc year. this includes those i dont go to court corporate types. your title is advocate and solicitor, so advocate.

also do away with the mandatory requirement for a uni degree. anyone can sit for the bar exams, even those currently serving prison terms.

have to rub those rich kids' faces in the reality of poverty in sinkieland. must get them to draft affidavits for clients who cant string a complete sentence together in english or even chinese. better still, translate hokkien on the fly.

anyone who disagrees with the sentiment expressed in this post is exactly the kind of person it is targeted at. you might have a higher iq by virtue of your father having more money, but you are not better than the rest of us.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 30-06-2021, 09:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
the kind of people that still harp on which uni they went to also ask you about which sec sch or jc you went to within the first 20 minutes of meeting them

it says a lot more about the one asking than the one answering

but unfortunately such is life in sinkieland, you have the measure of a man by the schs he attended and his residential address. no one poor ever studied in acsi and went home to a sixth avenue home without a unit number.

we need to get rid of elitism in the law. proposed changes - do not qualify for pc unless you have clocked at least 50hrs of pro bono work with clas in the preceding pc year. this includes those i dont go to court corporate types. your title is advocate and solicitor, so advocate.

also do away with the mandatory requirement for a uni degree. anyone can sit for the bar exams, even those currently serving prison terms.

have to rub those rich kids' faces in the reality of poverty in sinkieland. must get them to draft affidavits for clients who cant string a complete sentence together in english or even chinese. better still, translate hokkien on the fly.

anyone who disagrees with the sentiment expressed in this post is exactly the kind of person it is targeted at. you might have a higher iq by virtue of your father having more money, but you are not better than the rest of us.
None of these forum comments have suggested that "kids from lower tier schools" who are from "rich families" think they are better than us NUS grads.

They have been targeted, together with other sinkies and delta citizens.

That being said, NUS will always be the best. We deserve the jobs that these people have.
Old 30-06-2021, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Nothing wrong with being elitist. Law has traditionally been a profession of the educated intellectual class with good upper middle backgrounds. This is true whether u studied in NUS or paid your way for a London degree. Most NUS law grads came from RI, HC or ACS anyway. This is also true is most jurisdictions.

See no reason why it should change. The system works fine.

There's always room for social justice pro bono warriors or atticus finch type rough-and-tumble lawyers.

Old 30-06-2021, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nothing wrong with being elitist. Law has traditionally been a profession of the educated intellectual class with good upper middle backgrounds. This is true whether u studied in NUS or paid your way for a London degree. Most NUS law grads came from RI, HC or ACS anyway. This is also true is most jurisdictions.

See no reason why it should change. The system works fine.

There's always room for social justice pro bono warriors or atticus finch type rough-and-tumble lawyers.
Drop the middle. These days it’s more upper class
Old 30-06-2021, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Drop the middle. These days it’s more upper class
Eh bro u know what is real upper class or not. Upper class is Secretlab Ian Ang who drops $51M on a good class bungalow. And even in those circles, he's probably considered "newly made it". His family is rich though.

Most law students are upper middle only la.

Even if they're upper class, their parents make them study law only for a veneer of respectability. They're expected to contribute to the family fortune or work in the fam business eventually. an international law firm's salary, even at its highest, will not make the slightest impact on the family's net worth
Old 30-06-2021, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Eh bro u know what is real upper class or not. Upper class is Secretlab Ian Ang who drops $51M on a good class bungalow. And even in those circles, he's probably considered "newly made it". His family is rich though.

Most law students are upper middle only la.

Even if they're upper class, their parents make them study law only for a veneer of respectability. They're expected to contribute to the family fortune or work in the fam business eventually. an international law firm's salary, even at its highest, will not make the slightest impact on the family's net worth
How u know so much. U upper class isit or marry upper class ah. And you from international law firm ah bro
Old 01-07-2021, 01:37 AM
Unregistered

Most law kids are upper class.

Just ask your law classmates where they live.
Most would stay in a GCB off estates like chancery lane etc.
the houses are easily worth $40-50M for a small GCB.

That kind of wealth is upper class. Basically private bank and above material.