Lawyer Salary - Page 1236 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #12351 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I dunno why yall talking like mcm civil servants, all these woolly notions of salary must go up just cos some time has passed, must beat inflation, etc. Like apropos of nothing, and simply by virtue of being an employee, can talk about salary in the abstract, divorced from any value it is supposed to be commensurate with

Yall forgetting you sell legal services. Sell being the operative word, if not each one of you got charge out rate and do time sheets for what

Not a single post has addressed the value contributed point. So I'll repeat it - in this day and age, wtf does a lawyer do to justify the salary they draw. Why is the argument for more, and not less. Why isn't NQ pay $2,500
Have you even seen a contract before and the amount of paperwork in a transaction? This is besides the commercial astuteness you expect from hiring from the big 4. Even if you donít think the legal sector should be on pace with inflation simply by virtue of it being a sales based (which is ridiculous ground), paying 5.6-6 is not proportionate to the work produced.

I just assumed that you were talking about corp work cause if you were referring to liti work you obviously donít work in the legal sector.

Reply With Quote
  #12352 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 09:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

how many attempts needed to pass part b nowadays? Whatís the cause for failing a subject?

Reply With Quote
  #12353 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 12:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I dunno why yall talking like mcm civil servants, all these woolly notions of salary must go up just cos some time has passed, must beat inflation, etc. Like apropos of nothing, and simply by virtue of being an employee, can talk about salary in the abstract, divorced from any value it is supposed to be commensurate with

Yall forgetting you sell legal services. Sell being the operative word, if not each one of you got charge out rate and do time sheets for what

Not a single post has addressed the value contributed point. So I'll repeat it - in this day and age, wtf does a lawyer do to justify the salary they draw. Why is the argument for more, and not less. Why isn't NQ pay $2,500
This guy must be a salty non-lawyer. Only people who wanted to, but failed to, become a lawyer will ever use "apropos of nothing" in their writing (in an attempt to look clever).

It's very simple. Legal fees for a freshly called associate is $300+/h. On average you should be billing 2000+ hours a year, but let's count it as 2000. That's $600,000 a year. That's the value you are providing to your firm/customers (also, because the OP is evidently not an economist, value is determined by market forces that deem your work at a certain pricepoint --> stupidly saying that lawyers have not addressed their value proposition is an argument that can be transposed to any vocation - why doctors demand high salary? why bankers demand high salary? why xxx demand high salary? - because that's the value society is willing to ascribe to the work that they do).

Again, since the OP evidently does not know how the legal industry works, the breakeven point for hiring a fresh lawyer is estimated at 3x their pay. I.e. if you are paid 6k/mth, you should be billing 18k/mth. That's only $216,000. Meaning that the firm, excluding overheads and related costs, are taking around 400k while giving you 72k (and whatever bonus for that year - which is pegged to higher billings). All these extra fees go to the partner's pocket. Generally the partner's only achievement is being born at the right time (when law was not so competitive) and being older and therefore more "experienced".

Telling everyone there is a "glut" of lawyers, and then artificially suppressing wages without a corresponding drop in legal fees tells us that this is merely profiteering by the firms. But we will always have idiots like the OP who are salty of the salaries of NQ lawyers, without understanding the amount of value an NQ lawyer brings to the firm.

Reply With Quote
  #12354 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 01:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well thereís definitely something wrong when legal salaries in other financial centres have increased substantially in the past 10 years, whereas Singaporeís local firms have remained stagnant. Are Singapore law firms losing relevance?
The underlying issue, as you've alluded to, is that Singapore law firms have likely not remained as profitable as firms in other jurisdictions.

Bear in mind that our legal industry is very underdeveloped and immature. You won't find reported stats on revenue figures for law firms.

In the US and UK, you have AmLaw200 and The Lawyer 200 rankings that track stats like revenue, profit per lawyer (PPL), profit per partner (PPP), profit per equity partner (PEP) Year on Year without fail. These have shown nothing but steady increases. If we can't even find these stats, you can forget about industry-wide info on salary scales, which must be gleaned anecdotally here.

I suspect that revenue growth of local Big 4 and midtier firms is very flat or only slightly increasing, but non-fee earner overheads are increasing a lot. To maintain the same level of partner drawings, the partners have resisted across-the-board raises in the salary scale.

Because this problem of low profitability of Singapore legal services is structural, the solution must also be structural. I.e., to allow for full liberalization of international firms to practice in all areas of SG law. That will force some unprofitable local firms to merge or close while giving more options to Singapore lawyers to work in international firms here.

We may not see NY or London level salary scales, but it at least cause an upward push on salaries for the largest firms here.
Reply With Quote
  #12355 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This guy must be a salty non-lawyer. Only people who wanted to, but failed to, become a lawyer will ever use "apropos of nothing" in their writing (in an attempt to look clever).

It's very simple. Legal fees for a freshly called associate is $300+/h. On average you should be billing 2000+ hours a year, but let's count it as 2000. That's $600,000 a year. That's the value you are providing to your firm/customers (also, because the OP is evidently not an economist, value is determined by market forces that deem your work at a certain pricepoint --> stupidly saying that lawyers have not addressed their value proposition is an argument that can be transposed to any vocation - why doctors demand high salary? why bankers demand high salary? why xxx demand high salary? - because that's the value society is willing to ascribe to the work that they do).

Again, since the OP evidently does not know how the legal industry works, the breakeven point for hiring a fresh lawyer is estimated at 3x their pay. I.e. if you are paid 6k/mth, you should be billing 18k/mth. That's only $216,000. Meaning that the firm, excluding overheads and related costs, are taking around 400k while giving you 72k (and whatever bonus for that year - which is pegged to higher billings). All these extra fees go to the partner's pocket. Generally the partner's only achievement is being born at the right time (when law was not so competitive) and being older and therefore more "experienced".

Telling everyone there is a "glut" of lawyers, and then artificially suppressing wages without a corresponding drop in legal fees tells us that this is merely profiteering by the firms. But we will always have idiots like the OP who are salty of the salaries of NQ lawyers, without understanding the amount of value an NQ lawyer brings to the firm.
The only important point was "the breakeven point for hiring a fresh lawyer is estimated at 3x their pay" - who comes up with this stuff?

It seems so arbitrary, like an excuse to work backwards and say because I bill $600k a year, I should be paid $200k a year and therefore ~$17k a month.

What kind of client is willing to instruct a bunch of 24yos who each earn $17k a month?
Reply With Quote
  #12356 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The underlying issue, as you've alluded to, is that Singapore law firms have likely not remained as profitable as firms in other jurisdictions.

Bear in mind that our legal industry is very underdeveloped and immature. You won't find reported stats on revenue figures for law firms.

In the US and UK, you have AmLaw200 and The Lawyer 200 rankings that track stats like revenue, profit per lawyer (PPL), profit per partner (PPP), profit per equity partner (PEP) Year on Year without fail. These have shown nothing but steady increases. If we can't even find these stats, you can forget about industry-wide info on salary scales, which must be gleaned anecdotally here.

I suspect that revenue growth of local Big 4 and midtier firms is very flat or only slightly increasing, but non-fee earner overheads are increasing a lot. To maintain the same level of partner drawings, the partners have resisted across-the-board raises in the salary scale.

Because this problem of low profitability of Singapore legal services is structural, the solution must also be structural. I.e., to allow for full liberalization of international firms to practice in all areas of SG law. That will force some unprofitable local firms to merge or close while giving more options to Singapore lawyers to work in international firms here.

We may not see NY or London level salary scales, but it at least cause an upward push on salaries for the largest firms here.
Can we not do "other people go up, so we also must go up"

Quite a stupid reason for increasing salaries tbh, like for no good reason at all pay must go up without increasing the value provided to clients
Reply With Quote

  #12357 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 03:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The only important point was "the breakeven point for hiring a fresh lawyer is estimated at 3x their pay" - who comes up with this stuff?

It seems so arbitrary, like an excuse to work backwards and say because I bill $600k a year, I should be paid $200k a year and therefore ~$17k a month.

What kind of client is willing to instruct a bunch of 24yos who each earn $17k a month?
I will answer your point line by line even though it's already pretty clear to everyone here you're just a salty low-achiever:

-> People who have run law firms and know how much the usual cost of hiring staff / rent / benefits are...? Do you have any concept of what running a business entails? The 2.5-3x number is standard in the legal industry.

-> How is it arbitrary to work backwards from revenue to determine cost of employment LOL are you stupid? It's the opposite of arbitrary. So what do you mean when you repeatedly ask "what value do you bring"? Based on your reply you're not referring to monetary value, so what kind of value are you referring to? The value of good service? Moron LOL

-> The client is not instructing the 24 y/o, the client is instructing the partner who takes responsibility for the 24 y/0's work.

I really hope you're 14 or something because if your mind is working like this as a working adult it'd be in the best interests of the species if you don't breed


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #12358 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 03:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I will answer your point line by line even though it's already pretty clear to everyone here you're just a salty low-achiever:

-> People who have run law firms and know how much the usual cost of hiring staff / rent / benefits are...? Do you have any concept of what running a business entails? The 2.5-3x number is standard in the legal industry.

-> How is it arbitrary to work backwards from revenue to determine cost of employment LOL are you stupid? It's the opposite of arbitrary. So what do you mean when you repeatedly ask "what value do you bring"? Based on your reply you're not referring to monetary value, so what kind of value are you referring to? The value of good service? Moron LOL

-> The client is not instructing the 24 y/o, the client is instructing the partner who takes responsibility for the 24 y/0's work.

I really hope you're 14 or something because if your mind is working like this as a working adult it'd be in the best interests of the species if you don't breed
So basically the entire premise is it takes money to produce more money, therefore pay me more money

That is a terrible premise for asking for more money tbh, I mean if that is all you can muster then lawyer salaries should go down instead of up since it's really not apparent what value lawyers provide beyond WORK MANY HURR and WORK HARD DURR
Reply With Quote
  #12359 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 03:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just ignore him lol he's a troll nobody can be this dumb on purpose
Reply With Quote
  #12360 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2021, 03:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So basically the entire premise is it takes money to produce more money, therefore pay me more money

That is a terrible premise for asking for more money tbh, I mean if that is all you can muster then lawyer salaries should go down instead of up since it's really not apparent what value lawyers provide beyond WORK MANY HURR and WORK HARD DURR
Just write your own contracts, then go ahead and sign them. Zero legal fees. We'll be happy to bill you >100 times what you would have paid to get your papers properly drafted in the first place when **** hits the fan. There, economical enough.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,448 Replies, 7,585,686 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,658 Replies, 4,227,175 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
294 Replies, 74,140 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,816 Replies, 2,680,513 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
268 Replies, 174,727 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
169 Replies, 212,191 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,970 Replies, 9,989,124 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,050 Replies, 734,506 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,779 Replies, 3,465,622 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
639 Replies, 267,890 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,597 Replies, 1,310,497 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 9,829 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
630 Replies, 247,154 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
362 Replies, 163,432 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
202 Replies, 122,131 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,718 Replies, 991,440 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,250 Replies, 3,323,112 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,460 Replies, 1,121,617 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,098 Replies, 761,933 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,723 Replies, 3,173,623 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
378 Replies, 285,766 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,093 Replies, 452,798 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,144 Replies, 364,464 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
926 Replies, 632,054 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,174 Replies, 480,806 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,756 Replies, 2,323,988 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,302 Replies, 635,267 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 64,531 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
847 Replies, 245,137 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,039 Replies, 846,739 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2