Lawyer Salary - Page 1233 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #12321 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
why set to the nus standard? "practice" on its own has demands above and beyond that of what is taught in nus, have a higher common bar

but anyway, agree with your basic premise
Let's stop all this pointless bickering. With the new training regime reforms to be implemented in 2023, they're raising the bar across the board for both overseas and local grads. And the fact that they're extending the TC period from 6 months to 1 year shows increasing emphasis on producing practice ready NQs, which is a step in the right direction.

The longer period will also weed out those who are half-hearted and not genuinely inclined to practise law. Nothing wrong with that btw since many law grads in oversaturated jurisdictions like Australia and the UK also don't practice law.

Reply With Quote
  #12322 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

NUS has the best rigour. Some even postulate that itís standards are better from Oxbridge.

If u donít come from NUS, donít try to fight for our jobs. If you donít come from NUS, you donít deserve the spots.

Reply With Quote
  #12323 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 05:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let's stop all this pointless bickering. With the new training regime reforms to be implemented in 2023, they're raising the bar across the board for both overseas and local grads. And the fact that they're extending the TC period from 6 months to 1 year shows increasing emphasis on producing practice ready NQs, which is a step in the right direction.

The longer period will also weed out those who are half-hearted and not genuinely inclined to practise law. Nothing wrong with that btw since many law grads in oversaturated jurisdictions like Australia and the UK also don't practice law.
Such bickering is important and should be sustained in order to accentuate the fact that NUS is the best law school in Asia. All arguments have the same conclusion, that NUS students deserve the jobs. I donít even know why we have to go through TC or associate interviews when QS ranking clearly shows that we are better than all the other schools (save for oxbridge, although it is more difficult to get into NUS than oxbridge). Perhaps the legal sector will be better if NUS students are automatically given NQ positions.

Reply With Quote
  #12324 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2021, 05:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Such bickering is important and should be sustained in order to accentuate the fact that NUS is the best law school in Asia. All arguments have the same conclusion, that NUS students deserve the jobs. I donít even know why we have to go through TC or associate interviews when QS ranking clearly shows that we are better than all the other schools (save for oxbridge, although it is more difficult to get into NUS than oxbridge). Perhaps the legal sector will be better if NUS students are automatically given NQ positions.
Thereís a difference between bicker and debate. Appalled that a proud NUS student with the highest standard in Asia couldnít spot this distinction. 3/10.
Reply With Quote
  #12325 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2021, 09:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Such bickering is important and should be sustained in order to accentuate the fact that NUS is the best law school in Asia. All arguments have the same conclusion, that NUS students deserve the jobs. I donít even know why we have to go through TC or associate interviews when QS ranking clearly shows that we are better than all the other schools (save for oxbridge, although it is more difficult to get into NUS than oxbridge). Perhaps the legal sector will be better if NUS students are automatically given NQ positions.
In Asia, competing with the likes of HKU and University of Jakarta. You really set a low bar. This is disappointing, I expected more from NUS, a rank 10 school.

Market sentiment disagrees with "the legal sector will be better if NUS students are automatically given NQ positions" and for good reason.

No one is entitled to a living. If you're 2.2 and you can do the job well you're hired. If you're better and you can't, then you are not worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #12326 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
NUS has the best rigour. Some even postulate that itís standards are better from Oxbridge.

If u donít come from NUS, donít try to fight for our jobs. If you donít come from NUS, you donít deserve the spots.
Don't agree lol. You're deluded.
Reply With Quote

  #12327 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2021, 09:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Watching people argue here is like watching the Special Olympics. Fantastic entertainment.
Reply With Quote
  #12328 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2021, 02:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

While yall were arguing, Milbank raised NQ pay in London to S$260,000 per year.
Reply With Quote
  #12329 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2021, 02:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
While yall were arguing, Milbank raised NQ pay in London to S$260,000 per year.
Yeah, following Davis Polk scale at USD$205K for NQs. Mad $alary war in London and NY. Are Asian offices of these white shoe firms usually on the same scale?

Not an offshore lawyer, just a curious Big 4 assoc grinding it out in a local sweatshop.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
523 Replies, 349,544 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,751 Replies, 7,506,425 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,130 Replies, 276,508 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 39,835 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,411 Replies, 4,853,703 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
525 Replies, 298,993 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,213 Replies, 2,603,352 Views
Career options for a fresh...
8 Replies, 950 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
338 Replies, 149,742 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,469 Replies, 1,407,218 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,797 Replies, 4,425,225 Views
Working at Changi Business Park ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 7,609 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,077 Replies, 2,586,177 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,157 Replies, 1,725,075 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,885 Replies, 631,461 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,127 Replies, 1,333,449 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,962 Replies, 1,818,924 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,106 Replies, 554,931 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
485 Replies, 290,654 Views
New Job Offer that only match... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,084 Views
Can share your your car... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 15,242 Views
Facility Engineer ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,822 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 11,571 Views
Shell Graduate program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 146,571 Views
FD Technologies
0 Replies, 53 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,071 Replies, 570,041 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,944 Replies, 1,468,073 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 10,146 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2