Lawyer Salary - Page 1232 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #12311 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2021, 07:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Part A used to be 90% pass rate in 2010-2014. Same as Part B.

In fact, if Part A and local syllabus is equivalent, those who get 2.2s in local universities should be barred from practice until they can at least get a 2.1 standard.

Part B should be marked on a hidden bell curve to maintain a low pass rate. Problem solved. Parity and if you really suck whichever school you come from you can't practise.

Somehow, although Part A was made to gradually have a 30% pass rate (anecdotal), Part B retained its 90% pass rate until 2021. Lucky they are raising the standards of BOTH.
Spoken like a true overseas graduate who doesn't understand the rigour of the local law courses. Part A is NOT equivalent to local law standards. It is equivalent in breadth but nowhere near in depth, and is in fact a watered down crash-course on Singapore law that anybody who bothers to take 2-3 weeks before the papers to study, can and should pass on the first go.

Second lower local law school grads are easily equivalent to 2.1s from the UK. Local law school graduates who are third class honours can't practice and they're already a step up from UK 2:2s, who are not graded on a curve.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #12312 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2021, 08:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why were the supp papers for part a removed but still around for part b?

Reply With Quote
  #12313 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As they should. So sick of the poor standards of these foreign uni grads. Note that my gripe is with the foreign grads, not the unis themselves. Unfortunately, the majority of those Singaporean students that study in these schools just don't have what it takes to practice at the required level.

In my view, foreign unis should be limited to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Melbourne, Sydney and UNSW, and the US schools. Full stop. Sick of having to babysit subpar NQs.
LoL at the addition of schools from a certain country here.

Reply With Quote
  #12314 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 03:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Spoken like a true overseas graduate who doesn't understand the rigour of the local law courses. Part A is NOT equivalent to local law standards. It is equivalent in breadth but nowhere near in depth, and is in fact a watered down crash-course on Singapore law that anybody who bothers to take 2-3 weeks before the papers to study, can and should pass on the first go.

Second lower local law school grads are easily equivalent to 2.1s from the UK. Local law school graduates who are third class honours can't practice and they're already a step up from UK 2:2s, who are not graded on a curve.
I agree with the general tenor of your post. The hate is somewhat warranted.

But don't BS pls. You say I don't understand the "rigour" of local unis. But neither can you understand the "rigour" of Part A. You never took Part A. Don't provide a dumb comparison based on experience on one end and one end only.

Second paragraph - generally true. However, that being said, there must be a cut-off for reasons of parity. Where you would like to draw a line is really up to you. It's an objection from fairness and every single lawyer must be subject to the same exam.

Even if you say, for instance, every single UK grad must take NUS modules marked on a bell curve, that would be palatable. Don't need to make it a "Bar exam".

The lack of parity is disappointing and, to say the least, rigged.
Reply With Quote
  #12315 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 03:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree with the general tenor of your post. The hate is somewhat warranted.

But don't BS pls. You say I don't understand the "rigour" of local unis. But neither can you understand the "rigour" of Part A. You never took Part A. Don't provide a dumb comparison based on experience on one end and one end only.

Second paragraph - generally true. However, that being said, there must be a cut-off for reasons of parity. Where you would like to draw a line is really up to you. It's an objection from fairness and every single lawyer must be subject to the same exam.

Even if you say, for instance, every single UK grad must take NUS modules marked on a bell curve, that would be palatable. Don't need to make it a "Bar exam".

The lack of parity is disappointing and, to say the least, rigged.
I also agree because there are some foreign schools that print degrees. We know who the culprits are. No need to keep publicising. A 2.2 from NUS may even be better than a FCH from some places.

But the objection is parity. It is not school-shitting. I really do not give a **** about the vitirol that comes out of entitled local YPs.

To have parity:

1. Either make all foreign grads take the first part of the Bar based on NUS papers marked on a bell curve

2. Make NUS modules which are tested in Part A marked on a pass-fail-distinction basis.

It is rubbish to categorise each person based on perceptions about school and reputation.

You advocate merit. So there isn't any reason for a lack of parity - even your perception about reputation, if true, does not apply to every single person from a particular school. Many duds around in every school.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #12316 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 03:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I also agree because there are some foreign schools that print degrees. We know who the culprits are. No need to keep publicising. A 2.2 from NUS may even be better than a FCH from some places.

But the objection is parity. It is not school-shitting. I really do not give a **** about the vitirol that comes out of entitled local YPs.

To have parity:

1. Either make all foreign grads take the first part of the Bar based on NUS papers marked on a bell curve

2. Make NUS modules which are tested in Part A marked on a pass-fail-distinction basis.

It is rubbish to categorise each person based on perceptions about school and reputation.

You advocate merit. So there isn't any reason for a lack of parity - even your perception about reputation, if true, does not apply to every single person from a particular school. Many duds around in every school.
My next question is also this: if you advocate merit why should the people in every school who only party and dud around be able to rely on the perception about their school, which is formed usually from the brilliant ones?
Reply With Quote

  #12317 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 10:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LoL at the addition of schools from a certain country here.
Delta variant country?
Reply With Quote
  #12318 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wtf guys. Nobody cares about what tom dick harry on a forum thinks is aptitude.

Unpopular take: Curve and mandated fail rates do not weed out ineptitude. They merely breed competitiveness. The selectivity of such systems is a byproduct. There’s no reason not to grant a professional qualification for everyone who meets the necessary standards.

Students just need to make sure they study for the bar. Yes you’re out if school now but you have one (or two) more exam(s) to go for before you can practice. Now is not the time to let up.

Now can the kids please take your vitriol elsewhere, and just ask salary (or practise) related questions?
Reply With Quote
  #12319 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 12:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=Unregistered;174849]Wtf guys. Nobody cares about what tom dick harry on a forum thinks is aptitude.

Unpopular take: Curve and mandated fail rates do
The current system is regressive since it purports to produce the SAME STANDARD of lawyers based on different objectives and standards (of local exams and Part A).

The starting point should be the same and not vary according to different subsections of the legal profession. You want to produce an NUS 2.1 standard across the board, so be it. All foreign grads to be marked on NUS exams on a bell curve.

This puts an end to the entire universe of vitirol which has been expounded in the past 1000 pages. If someone cannot meet an NUS 2.1 standard, he's out. No need to compare schools. If someone is from a bad school but meets an NUS 2.1 standard, he's worthy of being called regardless of school.

If you say NUS students should have jobs because of the academic rigour in NUS, I'm sure you will support parity. It will remove everyone's sense of entitlement. Don't give me BS like your school better than his school. Put your money where your mouth is.

Members of the public are relying on the rigour of examinations to ensure certain minimum standards. The ends justify the means (of imposing such parity).
Reply With Quote
  #12320 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2021, 02:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Unpopular take: Curve and mandated fail rates do
The current system is regressive since it purports to produce the SAME STANDARD of lawyers based on different objectives and standards (of local exams and Part A).

The starting point should be the same and not vary according to different subsections of the legal profession. You want to produce an NUS 2.1 standard across the board, so be it. All foreign grads to be marked on NUS exams on a bell curve.

This puts an end to the entire universe of vitirol which has been expounded in the past 1000 pages. If someone cannot meet an NUS 2.1 standard, he's out. No need to compare schools. If someone is from a bad school but meets an NUS 2.1 standard, he's worthy of being called regardless of school.

If you say NUS students should have jobs because of the academic rigour in NUS, I'm sure you will support parity. It will remove everyone's sense of entitlement. Don't give me BS like your school better than his school. Put your money where your mouth is.

Members of the public are relying on the rigour of examinations to ensure certain minimum standards. The ends justify the means (of imposing such parity).
why set to the nus standard? "practice" on its own has demands above and beyond that of what is taught in nus, have a higher common bar

but anyway, agree with your basic premise
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,758 Replies, 1,414,869 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
870 Replies, 224,818 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 137,934 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
137 Replies, 100,654 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
316 Replies, 138,449 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
452 Replies, 276,882 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,021 Replies, 524,013 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,270 Replies, 642,533 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,693 Replies, 1,287,405 Views
Maybank ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 6,877 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,741 Replies, 4,625,018 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
120 Replies, 58,179 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 110,441 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,082 Replies, 2,529,219 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 6,892 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,606 Replies, 7,354,053 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
482 Replies, 273,920 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,335 Replies, 575,592 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,009 Replies, 2,505,890 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,699 Replies, 4,358,796 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,563 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 453,845 Views
Asset Management Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 4,076 Views
Pacific Century CyberWorks (PCCW)
1 Replies, 62 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 86,593 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
182 Replies, 208,523 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 23,267 Views
Visa Inc
0 Replies, 62 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2