Lawyer Salary - Page 1224 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #12231 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 01:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Eh there's a lot of hype going on in legal tech. Nothing new here. SMU's centre for computational law is one of the responses to these trends. Read up the works of Wong Meng Weng.

When emails came about, naysayers were also talking about it spelling the doom of the legal profession

At this stage, there's too much human input in the practice of law for much of it to be replaced by AI.

And if AI reaches the level of sophistication where most legal functions can be replaced, don't forget there're many other industries ahead in line of us that would be replaced long before that.

Reply With Quote
  #12232 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 01:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Another idiot who doesn't know what AI and all these other new technologies can and cannot do... If I see another article from some gungho B4 associate writing about the "range of exciting legal use cases for Blockchain" who thinks he's cutting edge I'm actually gonna puke
LOL I think I've seen at least 7 of those articles just this year alone

Reply With Quote
  #12233 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 02:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LOL I think I've seen at least 7 of those articles just this year alone
At least those dudes can write right.
Why so salty? Try to spend your free time writing otherwise keep quiet

Reply With Quote
  #12234 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I suspect the future of law would be like that.

The very top (fch, deans list, commendation list) will always have a job. Whether in house, practice or govt.

The middle will hollow out.

Those with applied learning (eg TP dip law paralegals) will eventually be highly employable. They will do a lot of the work that require support.

Some posters said earlier that you need legal training to dispense legal advice. True. But what if the AI bot can do it far better and with less mistakes. The partner just need the paralegal to check once over and sign off.

So I donít know in this new business model, is there a future for being mediocre?

Your proposition is highly flawed for several reasons, which makes me doubt whether you are in practice.

1. "what if the AI bot can do it far better and with less mistakes" is a sweeping statement. If you do research and look at what those legal AI platforms can currently do at the moment, we are still at a stage where human input is highly needed and there is still a long time to come such a regime comes to place.

2. Every file/matter is different. If you are a lawyer, you will realise a good one will never simply use the cookie cutter or a copy and paste method or the while. Yes, precedents may be generated, but if you let AI do the work and back off from the matter, I wish you all the very best.

Don't simply make assumptions just because you keep reading articles on "how AI is disrupting the world." Do your own research.
Reply With Quote
  #12235 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 03:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your proposition is highly flawed for several reasons, which makes me doubt whether you are in practice.

1. "what if the AI bot can do it far better and with less mistakes" is a sweeping statement. If you do research and look at what those legal AI platforms can currently do at the moment, we are still at a stage where human input is highly needed and there is still a long time to come such a regime comes to place.

2. Every file/matter is different. If you are a lawyer, you will realise a good one will never simply use the cookie cutter or a copy and paste method or the while. Yes, precedents may be generated, but if you let AI do the work and back off from the matter, I wish you all the very best.

Don't simply make assumptions just because you keep reading articles on "how AI is disrupting the world." Do your own research.
Alright I am at the forefront of law and technology, and when we talk AI platforms we are not talking about those adopted by the big 4 currently but by the white shoe and magic circle.
Iím not the original OP. But let me tell you if you have not been in the legal teams of American banks like JPM and GS, you are way behind your timeÖ

A lot of the works are done in house today. Less work are being farm to the law firms, except for LOs. And LOs in the law firm can actually be done by a bot, things like contract express etc. yes programming needs to be done once, and that the partner can do and fine tune with a paralegal. Why Iím wasting time to explain this instead of writing my journals is simply because Iím trying to pay it forward. Iíve been shown quite a lot of kindness by my giants in the field.
Reply With Quote
  #12236 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

PI and PD work are far from noble, but hey, everybody needs to put food on the table. Personally, I respect community lawyers way more than PI or PD lawyers.
Reply With Quote

  #12237 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Alright I am at the forefront of law and technology, and when we talk AI platforms we are not talking about those adopted by the big 4 currently but by the white shoe and magic circle.
Iím not the original OP. But let me tell you if you have not been in the legal teams of American banks like JPM and GS, you are way behind your timeÖ

A lot of the works are done in house today. Less work are being farm to the law firms, except for LOs. And LOs in the law firm can actually be done by a bot, things like contract express etc. yes programming needs to be done once, and that the partner can do and fine tune with a paralegal. Why Iím wasting time to explain this instead of writing my journals is simply because Iím trying to pay it forward. Iíve been shown quite a lot of kindness by my giants in the field.
I'm pretty sure you've not been in the banking industry as an in-house lawyer. While it is true that alot of contract/corporate work is done in-house, it is usually in tandem with (or the draft version is farmed out to ) Corporate lawyers to double-check. Firstly, the legal fees pale in comparison to the costs of any issues with the document. Secondly, almost every in-house would rather have someone else's ass on the line (i.e. the external firm) instead of approving large-scale contracts/corporate documents without an external lawyer.

So yes, while the contract draft may be inhouse/AI, the work that actually gets passed to the law firm isn't really paralegal-side work (which would more likely die from AI than PQE-ed lawyers).
Reply With Quote
  #12238 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 08:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No one likes to know that they would eventually be replaced. But this will be the reality. Even though knowledge workers like lawyers would not be made entirely redundant, we would only need a small number of them (and you would have to be the top + have relevant knowledge to co-exist with the machines and systems of the future). Obviously, this is not specific to law. Even finance (like S&T) will see a similar change in the next decade.

Safest jobs? Those that really require the human aspect. Think of creative roles like fashion designers and award winning chefs (AIs cannot be creative in their own accord as of yet).
Reply With Quote
  #12239 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 08:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No one likes to know that they would eventually be replaced. But this will be the reality. Even though knowledge workers like lawyers would not be made entirely redundant, we would only need a small number of them (and you would have to be the top + have relevant knowledge to co-exist with the machines and systems of the future). Obviously, this is not specific to law. Even finance (like S&T) will see a similar change in the next decade.

Safest jobs? Those that really require the human aspect. Think of creative roles like fashion designers and award winning chefs (AIs cannot be creative in their own accord as of yet).
Let me add on, think financial advisers. The human touch is needed in this aspect.
Reply With Quote
  #12240 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me add on, think financial advisers. The human touch is needed in this aspect.
Ok, I will tell my kids to do either creative arts or become an Insurance Agent then.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,335 Replies, 574,596 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,009 Replies, 2,503,963 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
481 Replies, 273,427 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,678 Replies, 1,283,565 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,753 Replies, 1,413,273 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,699 Replies, 4,356,752 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,595 Replies, 7,349,961 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 1,531 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,729 Replies, 4,618,872 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,012 Replies, 522,879 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 453,548 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
442 Replies, 276,026 Views
Asset Management Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 3,963 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
869 Replies, 223,779 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
238 Replies, 109,618 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,071 Replies, 2,527,171 Views
Pacific Century CyberWorks (PCCW)
1 Replies, 50 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
118 Replies, 57,944 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 86,474 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
182 Replies, 208,239 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 137,482 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 23,038 Views
Visa Inc
0 Replies, 41 Views
Shopee
0 Replies, 68 Views
Food Panda
1 Replies, 63 Views
DBS Bank
0 Replies, 63 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
627 Replies, 100,089 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
459 Replies, 370,467 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
136 Replies, 100,456 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2