Lawyer Salary - Page 1181 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11801 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 03:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
there's that drew & napier yr3 who's bragging nonstop about her robertson quay condo
The one who got the same tat as her ex?

Reply With Quote
  #11802 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 09:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It’s not about financial security. If wages are stagnated according to OP, then a work around solution is to get married earlier to get the bto early. It’s a choice we have to make. If you’re going to eventually get married, pushing it earlier doesn’t make a difference. Unless you are not intending to get married, then whatever I say makes no sense to you ultimately.
It’s nothing to do with stakeholders in the legal industry. Just look at Malaysia, do you know how much junior associates fresh out of the bar are paid? Look also at our south East Asian neighbours...
Back when Goh Chok Tong was still PM, he aspired Singaporeans to Swiss standards of living, now I see we have to resort to comparing ourselves to third rate developing countries in SEA in order to give ourselves a pat on the back. All the while ignoring the fact that standards of living for junior lawyers has been declining while the cost of living are rising faster than our paychecks.

Well done, my fellow learned friends for setting the bar ever lower.

Reply With Quote
  #11803 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 10:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Back when Goh Chok Tong was still PM, he aspired Singaporeans to Swiss standards of living, now I see we have to resort to comparing ourselves to third rate developing countries in SEA in order to give ourselves a pat on the back. All the while ignoring the fact that standards of living for junior lawyers has been declining while the cost of living are rising faster than our paychecks.

Well done, my fellow learned friends for setting the bar ever lower.
I concur. Singapore is just another another polished good looking third world city in ASEAN. Despite it clean streets, polished furnishings, it is unbearable place to live in. The people there live in this “illusion of bubble” thinking it is an utopia in the world. Everything there looks like it is “working” when u look deeper, it is in fact same as the surrounding ASEAN countries.

Whatever statistics they published, the opposite reality is true on the ground. Singapore is the only country, i have seen publish so many statistics on state controlled media. The mass media is not a free entity and a government mouthpiece. There are not many jobs available and cost living is very high relative to wages. Slave wages, labor exploitation, lack of rights , authoritarian rule. Basically it is a third world place under disguise with first world looks. Getting out of Singapore with a overseas LLB and moving to a real first world country (UK) is the best choice i have ever made despite being a local born Singaporean.

Reply With Quote
  #11804 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 10:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Back when Goh Chok Tong was still PM, he aspired Singaporeans to Swiss standards of living, now I see we have to resort to comparing ourselves to third rate developing countries in SEA in order to give ourselves a pat on the back. All the while ignoring the fact that standards of living for junior lawyers has been declining while the cost of living are rising faster than our paychecks.

Well done, my fellow learned friends for setting the bar ever lower.
To my fellow forum outlookers, wake up your ideas. The reality is that it is a bad time to enter into the law profession, a bad time to get a partner and settle down, a bad time to live. No matter how hard you work, it is all but an "American Dream". So, if foreigners or foreign grads take your jobs, let it be. Don't hustle, don't bustle, as it is not worth sacrificing your mental health and time for a dream which will never come true. HDB bids are getting more difficult, costly and lengthy (more than 6 years for now).

So, be smart, you can never beat the flawed system. The future will never be us. We should just learn to survive first. So just sit back and don't rock the boat.
Reply With Quote
  #11805 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I concur. Singapore is just another another polished good looking third world city in ASEAN. Despite it clean streets, polished furnishings, it is unbearable place to live in. The people there live in this “illusion of bubble” thinking it is an utopia in the world. Everything there looks like it is “working” when u look deeper, it is in fact same as the surrounding ASEAN countries.

Whatever statistics they published, the opposite reality is true on the ground. Singapore is the only country, i have seen publish so many statistics on state controlled media. The mass media is not a free entity and a government mouthpiece. There are not many jobs available and cost living is very high relative to wages. Slave wages, labor exploitation, lack of rights , authoritarian rule. Basically it is a third world place under disguise with first world looks. Getting out of Singapore with a overseas LLB and moving to a real first world country (UK) is the best choice i have ever made despite being a local born Singaporean.
So is it all doom and gloom for SG's future outlook? As a IB student with a passion for law, should I read law locally or overseas in order to hedge against the former? I should qualify for NUS or SMU but at this stage I'm leaning towards Australia's G8 unis so I could work in Australia later. A relative who's a solicitor in Perth works 8-5 weekdays only and is able to earn enough to afford his own bungalow and another as an investment property in his early thirties. He came from a lower-middle class HDB-dwelling background so I don't think parental help factored in his success.

(Please don't suggest medicine as it requires a completely different skillset to what I have and I have neither the aptitude nor interest in it. Plus my NUS med friends seem to have their own difficulties with med.)
Reply With Quote
  #11806 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 12:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So is it all doom and gloom for SG's future outlook? As a IB student with a passion for law, should I read law locally or overseas in order to hedge against the former? I should qualify for NUS or SMU but at this stage I'm leaning towards Australia's G8 unis so I could work in Australia later. A relative who's a solicitor in Perth works 8-5 weekdays only and is able to earn enough to afford his own bungalow and another as an investment property in his early thirties. He came from a lower-middle class HDB-dwelling background so I don't think parental help factored in his success.

(Please don't suggest medicine as it requires a completely different skillset to what I have and I have neither the aptitude nor interest in it. Plus my NUS med friends seem to have their own difficulties with med.)

If you stayed in Johor and worked for Fervent Chambers, you could certainly also afford a bungalow and servants with our salary. And work on the best cases.
Reply With Quote

  #11807 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 01:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So is it all doom and gloom for SG's future outlook? As a IB student with a passion for law, should I read law locally or overseas in order to hedge against the former? I should qualify for NUS or SMU but at this stage I'm leaning towards Australia's G8 unis so I could work in Australia later. A relative who's a solicitor in Perth works 8-5 weekdays only and is able to earn enough to afford his own bungalow and another as an investment property in his early thirties. He came from a lower-middle class HDB-dwelling background so I don't think parental help factored in his success.

(Please don't suggest medicine as it requires a completely different skillset to what I have and I have neither the aptitude nor interest in it. Plus my NUS med friends seem to have their own difficulties with med.)
Nope, best advice is to not earn a degree and waste money. Just sit back, relax and do the things you love as life is short.
Reply With Quote
  #11808 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 02:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So is it all doom and gloom for SG's future outlook? As a IB student with a passion for law, should I read law locally or overseas in order to hedge against the former? I should qualify for NUS or SMU but at this stage I'm leaning towards Australia's G8 unis so I could work in Australia later. A relative who's a solicitor in Perth works 8-5 weekdays only and is able to earn enough to afford his own bungalow and another as an investment property in his early thirties. He came from a lower-middle class HDB-dwelling background so I don't think parental help factored in his success.

(Please don't suggest medicine as it requires a completely different skillset to what I have and I have neither the aptitude nor interest in it. Plus my NUS med friends seem to have their own difficulties with med.)
I suggest getting the degree from UK.
Either Oxbridge or UCL/LSE. Nothing lower.
Thereafter, work in Australia, the hours are acceptable.
Reply With Quote
  #11809 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I suggest getting the degree from UK.
Either Oxbridge or UCL/LSE. Nothing lower.
Thereafter, work in Australia, the hours are acceptable.
Is it difficult to enter biglaw australia? I see many asian lawyers doing man in the street type practice areas for other asians, immigration, employment etc. How likely is it for an asian to be hired by KWM, Clayton Utz, Minters, Ashurst in australia
Reply With Quote
  #11810 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

To counteract the doom and gloom in this thread - I am a lawyer with diagnosed depression and have been taking antidepressants since law school.

I would probably be the very person waxing on about how a legal career sucks, and indeed I did have that perspective in the past.

But I have met good persons in the industry, and also realised that much of what I was feeling was a result of my negative perspective. I was a miserable person, and mostly blaming my job for said misery.

Once I went to therapy and had my depression under control, I realised a legal career wasn't such a bad deal. It suits my character, and I do like my colleagues.

I just hope that you guys find some release eventually, whether by changing your job or your perspective. I know first hand how horrible it is to be constantly sad and miserable, and hope that you guys will all see better days. Know that there are still good people, good bosses and good work in the industry, and it is just a matter of finding them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,404 Replies, 1,393,119 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,103 Replies, 270,546 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,287 Replies, 652,083 Views
Relocation to the US or stay in SG? ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 910 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
824 Replies, 222,232 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,353 Replies, 4,829,449 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
116 Replies, 44,836 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,729 Replies, 7,488,209 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,915 Replies, 1,461,482 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
488 Replies, 345,729 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
92 Replies, 27,122 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 123,353 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,103 Replies, 1,330,064 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,952 Replies, 1,810,761 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 2,699 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 101,143 Views
How much to ask for starting pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
201 Replies, 68,832 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,152 Replies, 1,719,930 Views
Anyone working in Recruit express? ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 39,110 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 10,493 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
347 Replies, 111,508 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
575 Replies, 458,488 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 138,615 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,204 Replies, 2,594,930 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 68,730 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
208 Replies, 172,298 Views
Working 2 FT (remote) jobs?...
2 Replies, 165 Views
Luxoft
0 Replies, 45 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,065 Replies, 567,278 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2