Lawyer Salary - Page 1153 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11521 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 09:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Barring 3,4,5 & 7 under the worth it jobs, the rest are too rare to even bother realistically getting a shot at
Sorry but even tech is getting more competitive and itís not a protected industry. Expats earn double the pay for the same role too

Reply With Quote
  #11522 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 09:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Barring 3,4,5 & 7 under the worth it jobs, the rest are too rare to even bother realistically getting a shot at
Very true the list of possible jobs but also very humbling.
On average after 10 years of practice, a $10k salary is the average
Corp is also not that lucrative.
After covid, many companies would realise that they can just do a lot of the corporate lawyering jobs in house.
Eventually things like registration of charges etc, I suspect these can be done in house too. Regulators will look at how to automate it with Corppass etc.
Now we have liability and quantum calculators for motor accident and personal injury.
Everything will eventually be automated, work processes improved further.
Increasingly it will become hard to earn a lot. With inflation and salary stagnated, this problem is exacerbated further

Reply With Quote
  #11523 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 09:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry but even tech is getting more competitive and itís not a protected industry. Expats earn double the pay for the same role too
Agreed. But there really is a world out there. Law suffers from late adopter tax, just like all other industries with finite clients.

If you were the founder of an insurance company before anyone had a policy, you'd be swimming in your own pool and anything else is demeaning. Now? All the insurance agents going door to door or cold calling. "Oh sorry, I already have a policy."

All big and institutional clients already have good lawyers they trust, either on retainer or otherwise an established working relationship. In fact they'll go to the US and MC EPs first. You want to make EP anywhere? Bring them in.

I really pity the next generations of law students thinking they're in this for the money and they'll make EP. That their grades count for something and they'll earn millions. Maybe 1 person to 5 people out of that batch will make EP after 15 to 20 years in this new generation. The rest are doomed to be JPs and SAs for life.

This is a different generation. Law school is a lie. Legal drama is a lie despite what mass media tells kids. This is not Suits where you even can afford to wear Tom Ford while being your own person. Not in this generation.

So stop being dumb grunts. You backstab and put each other down only to realise 8-10 years in that you were always and will always be a loser because you failed to realise that law is no longer a good industry to be in.

Reply With Quote
  #11524 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agreed. But there really is a world out there. Law suffers from late adopter tax, just like all other industries with finite clients.

If you were the founder of an insurance company before anyone had a policy, you'd be swimming in your own pool and anything else is demeaning. Now? All the insurance agents going door to door or cold calling. "Oh sorry, I already have a policy."

All big and institutional clients already have good lawyers they trust, either on retainer or otherwise an established working relationship. In fact they'll go to the US and MC EPs first. You want to make EP anywhere? Bring them in.

I really pity the next generations of law students thinking they're in this for the money and they'll make EP. That their grades count for something and they'll earn millions. Maybe 1 person to 5 people out of that batch will make EP after 15 to 20 years in this new generation. The rest are doomed to be JPs and SAs for life.

This is a different generation. Law school is a lie. Legal drama is a lie despite what mass media tells kids. This is not Suits where you even can afford to wear Tom Ford while being your own person. Not in this generation.

So stop being dumb grunts. You backstab and put each other down only to realise 8-10 years in that you were always and will always be a loser because you failed to realise that law is no longer a good industry to be in.
If you come from NUS Law your life will significantly be easier. People view you differently, your employers prioritise you.
Reply With Quote
  #11525 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 09:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

To also clarify - I don't mean to demean any law school when I say law school is a lie. What I mean is the economics of it, in terms of the market and the likely career prospects now.
Reply With Quote
  #11526 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 09:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To also clarify - I don't mean to demean any law school when I say law school is a lie. What I mean is the economics of it, in terms of the market and the likely career prospects now.
The law professor take umbrage at this observation.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #11527 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 09:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The law professor take umbrage at this observation.
Sorry my England not veri gud. Wad is umbrell- umbrage?
Reply With Quote
  #11528 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 10:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry my England not veri gud. Wad is umbrell- umbrage?
You must be hailing from a subpar school.
Reply With Quote
  #11529 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 10:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Very true the list of possible jobs but also very humbling.
On average after 10 years of practice, a $10k salary is the average
Corp is also not that lucrative.
After covid, many companies would realise that they can just do a lot of the corporate lawyering jobs in house.
Eventually things like registration of charges etc, I suspect these can be done in house too. Regulators will look at how to automate it with Corppass etc.
Now we have liability and quantum calculators for motor accident and personal injury.
Everything will eventually be automated, work processes improved further.
Increasingly it will become hard to earn a lot. With inflation and salary stagnated, this problem is exacerbated further
Let me share you a secret: in almost every industry, looks sell. Learn how to capitalise on what you have.
Reply With Quote
  #11530 (permalink)  
Old 22-05-2021, 10:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me share you a secret: in almost every industry, looks sell. Learn how to capitalise on what you have.
Isnít this obvious? Every industry is the same not unique to law.
But how many people can really use this? Maybe out of a part b batch of 700 ppl, maybe 10-20? You think everyone else got looks meh?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,066 Replies, 2,535,388 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,602 Replies, 7,098,185 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,366 Replies, 10,751,997 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,025 Replies, 4,871,290 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,228 Replies, 1,150,519 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,743 Replies, 5,407,733 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,524 Replies, 3,597,373 Views
DBS Bank career advancement,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 309,793 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,572 Replies, 699,919 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,270 Replies, 737,438 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
192 Replies, 179,227 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 80,869 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,628 Replies, 1,460,788 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,306 Replies, 3,943,620 Views
Working in NEA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
128 Replies, 172,655 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,451 Replies, 4,949,720 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,930 Replies, 1,530,665 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
923 Replies, 441,843 Views
Career change after 10 months ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 7,856 Views
Is HR useless?
7 Replies, 321 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,910 Replies, 1,648,017 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,347 Replies, 691,309 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,576 Replies, 2,546,581 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
816 Replies, 469,299 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,386 Replies, 1,214,289 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
232 Replies, 265,441 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
349 Replies, 397,874 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
724 Replies, 731,404 Views
Job application form have you ever... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 1,420 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
736 Replies, 582,226 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2