Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 19-05-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169235)
Yes yes. And the macquaries are qualified. Seriously peeps aren't you aggrieved. We study so hard to have a shot in little red dot and yet they can have a better pay and life than us. Isn't this something Min Law should look at?

Min Law (and SAL, and Law Soc) does not have your interests at heart. They are run by law firm senior partners who want to keep their sky-high equity partner profits off the back of low associate wages.

If you want to improve your lot you always have the option (although not always easy, I know), to seek greener pastures elsewhere as many of us have - although I **** on the Singapore education system sometimes it does prepare us well to work in many places all over the world.

It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness!

Unregistered 19-05-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169502)
I've said this until I'm blue in the face.

This. ****, Doesn't. Matter. In. Real. Life.

FFS this is not the USA where they actually have on-campus recruiting and people show up at your uni just to interview you.

I've used less than 5% of my LLB in private practice and the partners also know it. They interview you based on other things.

Lazy Singapore law firmHR people may use grades or school as a cut off. If you have a problem, go apply in other countries where they actually have resources to make a proper asssessment at interview stage.

And nobody outside of Singapore has heard of NUS or SMU.

Outside of Singapore NUS ranks alongside Durham University.

SMU ranks alongside RMIT law.

Unregistered 19-05-2021 07:02 PM

What should you do if you are struggling with part a/b and can’t pass? Is it better to just find other legal jobs now that don’t require you to be called? Or will getting called significantly help in getting better jobs next time

Unregistered 19-05-2021 07:06 PM

why is getting called becoming such a difficult and long journey with the 1 year tc and high failure rates? Not sure if this whole thing is even worth it anymore

Unregistered 19-05-2021 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169507)
Outside of Singapore NUS ranks alongside Durham University.

SMU ranks alongside RMIT law.

NUS is an award winning world class institution and it will always be.

It has been that way since its inception. It is full of heritage.

Unregistered 19-05-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169520)
why is getting called becoming such a difficult and long journey with the 1 year tc and high failure rates? Not sure if this whole thing is even worth it anymore

To discourage people like you from studying law.

Unregistered 19-05-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169503)
It's totally fine in London.

Also consider the Bristol law firms (Osborne Clarke, Burges Salmon) - they do very good work and QOL is probably better in Bristol all things considered despite the lower pay (still much higher than Singapore, mind you)

NUS is way better than Bristol. Don't make me laugh

Unregistered 19-05-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169523)
NUS is way better than Bristol. Don't make me laugh

Bristol versus Macquarie which is better?

Unregistered 19-05-2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169530)
Bristol versus Macquarie which is better?

For the last time, NUS outranks all other schools. The argument? Pls refer to previous pages of this forum

Unregistered 19-05-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169531)
For the last time, NUS outranks all other schools. The argument? Pls refer to previous pages of this forum

Yes for Chinatown