Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Trainee Lawyer 30-08-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered J (Post 27698)
I've heard that the big 4 starts you off (after being called) at 5.5k. Does anyone know how much a mid-size firm offers?

You're about right. In 2012 (for freshly qualified lawyers), two of the big four firms start at 5k, one starts at 5.2k and another one starts at 5.7k. Offshore firms (ie UK magic/silver circles and US white shoes) pay much higher though, 8k+ if I'm not wrong.

Unregistered 31-08-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27755)
DPP for guys, abt 4600 to 4900 depending on your grade. Woman, about 3900.
Not sure about APP.

Wow. thanks for the info. how about average yearly increment? Then APP's pay should be lower than DPP since they report to DPP right?

Unregistered 31-08-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trainee Lawyer (Post 27842)
You're about right. In 2012 (for freshly qualified lawyers), two of the big four firms start at 5k, one starts at 5.2k and another one starts at 5.7k. Offshore firms (ie UK magic/silver circles and US white shoes) pay much higher though, 8k+ if I'm not wrong.

alamak... a young fresh lawyer already hit hdb ceiling, and cannot buy bto flat when he graduates... jialat lah for those wana settle down quickly and make babies to boast population... must work like a dog then can buy condo, but work so hard, then libido kena affect, how arh?

Unregistered 01-09-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27855)
alamak... a young fresh lawyer already hit hdb ceiling, and cannot buy bto flat when he graduates... jialat lah for those wana settle down quickly and make babies to boast population... must work like a dog then can buy condo, but work so hard, then libido kena affect, how arh?

why are you worried about them? they can always buy hdb resale flats, but it doesn't match their high flyer image. imagine suits-donning legal eagles coming out of a hdb lift and walking in the void deck alongside grumpy uncles and aunties. hilarious.

Unregistered 01-09-2012 02:57 PM

Was an arts student who stumbled into banking, and for the next good 10 years. Recently I have been reading up about law and wondering if my private banking experience would ever stand me in any good stead ?

Unregistered 02-09-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27883)
Was an arts student who stumbled into banking, and for the next good 10 years. Recently I have been reading up about law and wondering if my private banking experience would ever stand me in any good stead ?

It will certainly be helpful, your finance knowledge will be in demand in big law firms (who tend to do a lot of IPOs). However, you'd have to consider the opportunity cost of going back to law school + training. It'll take around 4-5 years and I'm sure that, as a banker, you will hit 5k in less than that amount of time.

curious-unregistererd 02-09-2012 06:29 PM

hi

trainee lawyer, which two big 4 firms start at 5k?

which is the one that starts at 5.7k? any hints?

Trainee Lawyer 02-09-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curious-unregistererd (Post 27905)
trainee lawyer, which two big 4 firms start at 5k?

which is the one that starts at 5.7k? any hints?

I heard that the 5.7k firm also works its trainees & lawyers very hard, no free lunch in the world.

All four big firms are equally good (except A&G, which is the best IMO). If you can hold out at the big firms for six years, you'll be earning at least S$10k a month when you hit 30 (32 for men). Very competitive remuneration.

Unregistered 04-09-2012 09:43 PM

why is a&g the best? just because the minister came from there? they have so few SCs

and what happens after 6 years if you dont make partner?

Unregistered 05-09-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trainee Lawyer (Post 27914)
I heard that the 5.7k firm also works its trainees & lawyers very hard, no free lunch in the world.

All four big firms are equally good (except A&G, which is the best IMO). If you can hold out at the big firms for six years, you'll be earning at least S$10k a month when you hit 30 (32 for men). Very competitive remuneration.

regarding the above, for just an estimate - how much do the non-equity partners earn?