Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 07-04-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164484)
What's the WFH arrangement for big 4 and other mid size firms now that restrictions have been eased?

Still same. I don't think 75% allows a practical split. It means 1/4 of the employees have to work from home

Unregistered 07-04-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164563)
Still same. I don't think 75% allows a practical split. It means 1/4 of the employees have to work from home

so most assocs are working from home most of the time unless they choose otherwise? that’s pretty good. thanks

Unregistered 08-04-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164581)
so most assocs are working from home most of the time unless they choose otherwise? that’s pretty good. thanks

Life at Fervent not bad. Can go home anytime we like (if Mr Lun not looking)

Unregistered 08-04-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164372)
Tired trainee here. I realised 2 years into law school that I had made a huge mistake and resolved to go in-house as soon as possible. My plan is to grind out a few years of PQE before I try to leave practice.

Right now I’ve been retained at a mid-sized firm doing general corp but I’m contemplating applying out to more specialized practices. What areas of law should I be focusing on if I want to be an attractive hire for in-house positions down the road?

IPOs, M&A and restructuring - where the real money is

Unregistered 08-04-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164621)
Life at Fervent not bad. Can go home anytime we like (if Mr Lun not looking)

Call me at 11pm later. I want to discuss your draft with me. Also please prepare my speech for the hearing tmr, I want it on my desk by 7am by hooks or by crooks.

Unregistered 08-04-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164624)
IPOs, M&A and restructuring - where the real money is

M&A will always be in-demand. For capital markets work, it really depends on the jurisdiction - SG IPOs are dead, for example. Restructuring are fine too. Funds is an up and coming practice area.

In terms of relevance to in-house roles, I’d say general corporate, M&A and even some capital markets experience will be useful.

Unregistered 08-04-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164484)
What's the WFH arrangement for big 4 and other mid size firms now that restrictions have been eased?

WFH is still default for the big and mid sized firms, barring skeletal staff presence. Afaik, only the seccys and office managers are in office for admin work and accepting documents.

Unregistered 09-04-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164632)
Call me at 11pm later. I want to discuss your draft with me. Also please prepare my speech for the hearing tmr, I want it on my desk by 7am by hooks or by crooks.

Sounds like my boss. Weekend also call me. If I dont pick up fast I'm ded

Unregistered 09-04-2021 09:50 AM

How’s work as an in house liti general counsel? Heard typically pay cut 10%-20% plus take on more substantial work as compared to law firm at 2-3PQE level.. wanting to jump but afraid that I’ll be even more burnt out than I already am.

Unregistered 09-04-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164843)
How’s work as an in house liti general counsel? Heard typically pay cut 10%-20% plus take on more substantial work as compared to law firm at 2-3PQE level.. wanting to jump but afraid that I’ll be even more burnt out than I already am.

There are rarely any pure “liti” in-house counsel roles. Not in Singapore at least. An in-house counsel needs to be a generalist and corporate skills are a lot more relevant and valued - major disputes are usually rare for most companies. Companies who hire litigators usually put them in an operational role, think running the day to day contractual documentation rather than being involved in higher level work like M&A. IMO this means you’ll burn out a lot quicker because you’re usually dealing with low level contract / procurement managers and there’s a lot of volume work.

Also, the pay cut usually happens only if you stay too long in practice because you won’t have the corporate drafting skills required. A match is usually possible <5PQE.