Lawyer Salary - Page 1059 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #10581 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lol, excellent. Anyway if you think all those international firms are the best to work in, wait till they ask you to go at 2-3 years mark...
Is it because your performance is sub-par?
Usually law firms will not ask the associate to leave, as the associate can sue for unfair dismissal.

Just need to review the past two to three years appraisals.
If the appraisals are good or average, there is no reason for dismissal, and a case can be built.

Reply With Quote
  #10582 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2021, 10:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is it because your performance is sub-par?
Usually law firms will not ask the associate to leave, as the associate can sue for unfair dismissal.

Just need to review the past two to three years appraisals.
If the appraisals are good or average, there is no reason for dismissal, and a case can be built.
Are you from Singapore? In Singapore, have you seen any juniors suing their law firms for unfair dismissal?

Reply With Quote
  #10583 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2021, 10:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Really amusing to see how naive some of the posts are, and how on the other extreme we have the smart alec (behave as if they know it all).

Anyway for what it is worth, the truth is young law graduates will always be extremely optimistic, given that they have not been poured cold water on by the truths of legal practice.
Ppl who have been in law long enough will know that only a select few really make it to the top. For every one person at the top, many would have been eliminated in the process.
Itís not like medicine where after 5 years most dudes/gals from the same batch are still in practice.

You hear of lawyers becoming hawkers, chefs etc.
Do you hear the same thing for the doctors? No

Reply With Quote
  #10584 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2021, 06:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Really amusing to see how naive some of the posts are, and how on the other extreme we have the smart alec (behave as if they know it all).

Anyway for what it is worth, the truth is young law graduates will always be extremely optimistic, given that they have not been poured cold water on by the truths of legal practice.
Ppl who have been in law long enough will know that only a select few really make it to the top. For every one person at the top, many would have been eliminated in the process.
Itís not like medicine where after 5 years most dudes/gals from the same batch are still in practice.

You hear of lawyers becoming hawkers, chefs etc.
Do you hear the same thing for the doctors? No
ya because doctors still stuck in residency for the next 10years.

You diss the 'smart-alecs', yet I can literally feel your arrogance through my screen.

Your definition of 'top' is extremely narrowly defined. There are countless ways for a lawyer to excel that are not within the legal rankings, or even in the legal industry at all.

Giving credit where credit is due, lawyers or perhaps most professional salarymen do indeed get jaded. Not because there isn't much growth, but simply because they are sick and tired of their job.

Those that aren't are the ones that have a certain degree of passion in the industry and thus naturally will climb the ranks. Or they just bite the bullet and say fk it might as well, since I've came so far.
Reply With Quote
  #10585 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2021, 10:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is it because your performance is sub-par?
Usually law firms will not ask the associate to leave, as the associate can sue for unfair dismissal.

Just need to review the past two to three years appraisals.
If the appraisals are good or average, there is no reason for dismissal, and a case can be built.
Super self entitled millennial. Might as well say in the past your psle got 235 then u forever condemned cannot go law sch. Or that u get high rating 2 yrs ago u have life tenure. U make me sick with your spoilt brat behaviour I hope you arent in my firm
Reply With Quote
  #10586 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Super self entitled millennial. Might as well say in the past your psle got 235 then u forever condemned cannot go law sch. Or that u get high rating 2 yrs ago u have life tenure. U make me sick with your spoilt brat behaviour I hope you arent in my firm
Keep quiet la
Reply With Quote

  #10587 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2021, 04:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hbet63 Asia Betting : .hbet63.net
100% Welcome Bonus

Bonus Up To SGD 888
Sign Up & Become Member Now !!✅

The Best Sportsbo
ok & Live Casino In Singapore ➡️ .hbet63.net 🔥🔥Register Now 😎
Reply With Quote
  #10588 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2021, 09:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi everyone, junior entering the industry here - got lucky to secure a b4 tc and was wondering if the retention rates are as good as rumours set it out to be. Do I have to royally screw up to not get retained? Heard stories about failing part A first time and getting kicked off the TC. Any recourse then?


Also, how come most previous posts mention something like Ďrelease retention rateí? Do firms publish specific retention rates or is it all hearsay?
Reply With Quote
  #10589 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone, junior entering the industry here - got lucky to secure a b4 tc and was wondering if the retention rates are as good as rumours set it out to be. Do I have to royally screw up to not get retained? Heard stories about failing part A first time and getting kicked off the TC. Any recourse then?


Also, how come most previous posts mention something like Ďrelease retention rateí? Do firms publish specific retention rates or is it all hearsay?
Yes you must screw up royally. But it depends from firm to firm and team to team. I suggest you find out about your team. Generally retention rate / attrition rate is both high in B4.

If you fail the Bar (Part A or Part B) you will be removed with immediate effect. This is what it is. I have heard of people being told to leave midway in TC because they failed Part B.
Reply With Quote
  #10590 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2021, 12:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes you must screw up royally. But it depends from firm to firm and team to team. I suggest you find out about your team. Generally retention rate / attrition rate is both high in B4.

If you fail the Bar (Part A or Part B) you will be removed with immediate effect. This is what it is. I have heard of people being told to leave midway in TC because they failed Part B.
I donít think itís all bad. Especially itís an automatic filter given the glut.
And the Part B bar exams is a national exam in a sense. All graduates (from whatever school you grad from have to take, whether as some posters claim delisted, listed, Oxbridge whatever). So itís also one measure of aptitude.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,277 Replies, 1,072,669 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,144 Replies, 2,023,335 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,508 Replies, 6,785,280 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
642 Replies, 172,823 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,217 Replies, 931,512 Views
DSTA or CSIT ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 22,813 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,672 Replies, 9,312,959 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,094 Replies, 3,046,423 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,738 Replies, 2,653,182 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,868 Replies, 3,714,054 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,027 Replies, 909,122 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,000 Replies, 224,861 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
515 Replies, 266,619 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,276 Replies, 940,328 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,410 Replies, 2,420,768 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
335 Replies, 165,325 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
260 Replies, 270,505 Views
Polytechnic lecturer salary range ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 83,977 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,469 Replies, 672,370 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
537 Replies, 164,693 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 142,128 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,351 Replies, 5,162,253 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 59,782 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 6,175 Views
Starting pay for fresh grad? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 28,424 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
139 Replies, 219,127 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
368 Replies, 415,115 Views
Applying for govt job?
8 Replies, 5,067 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
698 Replies, 610,701 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 57,149 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2