Lawyer Salary - Page 1024 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #10231 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Will WFH mainly remain as default after Covid? Does anyone have any sentiments of whether law firms are heading towards this direction? I know some international firms are 90%-100% operating remotely and wondering if this approach will be adopted in future too. Serious question here, no trolls pls

Reply With Quote
  #10232 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Will WFH mainly remain as default after Covid? Does anyone have any sentiments of whether law firms are heading towards this direction? I know some international firms are 90%-100% operating remotely and wondering if this approach will be adopted in future too. Serious question here, no trolls pls
I'm curious too. What about their office space? Surely the firms won't way to pay full rent if utilisation is low.

Reply With Quote
  #10233 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does the legal service pay private sector rates? Was wondering what sort of salary a deputy senior state counsel will earn.

Reply With Quote
  #10234 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does the legal service pay private sector rates? Was wondering what sort of salary a deputy senior state counsel will earn.
200k?

Tenchar
Reply With Quote
  #10235 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2021, 07:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Will WFH mainly remain as default after Covid? Does anyone have any sentiments of whether law firms are heading towards this direction? I know some international firms are 90%-100% operating remotely and wondering if this approach will be adopted in future too. Serious question here, no trolls pls
Anyone has any comments to this or have spoken to any equity partners about WFH/future rental prospects?
Reply With Quote
  #10236 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
200k?

Tenchar
Is that on a high side for a Deputy senior state counsel?
Reply With Quote

  #10237 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I will be doing my TC at a small firm in SG next year. The thing is, I am living on my own in SG and renting my own place (family went back to Malaysia), which is not cheap. I have emergency funds but it's not a lot. I'm trying to plan my finances so I don't run out of money, since expenses > income during the TC period.

Can someone give me a rough idea of how long the TC+call break period lasts? TC is for six months and then there's a month-long call break? How come some people on Linkedin appear to have a TC period that is longer than six months? Is it safe to say that the maximum is say 7 months for TC and 6 weeks for call break (to account for unexpected situations), after which, even if I am only a Legal Exec, my pay will be at least 2k plus a month? Of course this assumes I am retained. If I am not retained, will have to find another Assoc position elsewhere.

How hard would it be to work a part-time job on weekends during my TC, or should i not consider this at all unless I am really hard-pressed for money? Would working on weekends be too tiring?
Reply With Quote
  #10238 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2021, 01:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I will be doing my TC at a small firm in SG next year. The thing is, I am living on my own in SG and renting my own place (family went back to Malaysia), which is not cheap. I have emergency funds but it's not a lot. I'm trying to plan my finances so I don't run out of money, since expenses > income during the TC period.

Can someone give me a rough idea of how long the TC+call break period lasts? TC is for six months and then there's a month-long call break? How come some people on Linkedin appear to have a TC period that is longer than six months? Is it safe to say that the maximum is say 7 months for TC and 6 weeks for call break (to account for unexpected situations), after which, even if I am only a Legal Exec, my pay will be at least 2k plus a month? Of course this assumes I am retained. If I am not retained, will have to find another Assoc position elsewhere.

How hard would it be to work a part-time job on weekends during my TC, or should i not consider this at all unless I am really hard-pressed for money? Would working on weekends be too tiring?
The TC period is officially 6 months (typically from start of Jan to end June). You get called end August if all goes well. Your call break (the interim period) is dependent on your firm - I know of people who have worked the entire call break as a legal executive, and others who have taken the entire call break off. Most will fall somewhere in between.

Holding down a part time job with regular hours may be difficult, but would largely depend on the amount of work you receive at your firm. At some places you may not be expected to work during the weekend at all. You can perhaps consider ad hoc jobs such as food delivery, which may provide a more flexible schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #10239 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2021, 11:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
200k?

Tenchar
I hear that Fervent Chambers 2pqe can earn around there.
Reply With Quote
  #10240 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2021, 11:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I will be doing my TC at a small firm in SG next year. The thing is, I am living on my own in SG and renting my own place (family went back to Malaysia), which is not cheap. I have emergency funds but it's not a lot. I'm trying to plan my finances so I don't run out of money, since expenses > income during the TC period.

Can someone give me a rough idea of how long the TC+call break period lasts? TC is for six months and then there's a month-long call break? How come some people on Linkedin appear to have a TC period that is longer than six months? Is it safe to say that the maximum is say 7 months for TC and 6 weeks for call break (to account for unexpected situations), after which, even if I am only a Legal Exec, my pay will be at least 2k plus a month? Of course this assumes I am retained. If I am not retained, will have to find another Assoc position elsewhere.

How hard would it be to work a part-time job on weekends during my TC, or should i not consider this at all unless I am really hard-pressed for money? Would working on weekends be too tiring?
Iím actually in your situation right now, and Iíd say the answer depends on how xiong your small firm is. Iím TC-ing at a mid-sized firm with OK hours, rarely leave later than 8pm, and I tutor on the weekends. It sucks a bit that I donít have a single day to myself but what to do 🙃

(If you can, I highly recommend tutoring, especially JC kids. 6 hours of work a week earns me the same amount as 2/3 of my TC salary. Lol.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Relationship manager / Personal... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 50,988 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,213 Replies, 3,935,018 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,473 Replies, 2,531,698 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
561 Replies, 214,901 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,172 Replies, 2,885,588 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,140 Replies, 955,651 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
728 Replies, 204,909 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 143,163 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
393 Replies, 432,499 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,390 Replies, 1,167,943 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,389 Replies, 331,040 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,156 Replies, 3,148,515 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,842 Replies, 9,607,364 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
340 Replies, 110,200 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 142,998 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 5,621 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
384 Replies, 181,601 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
353 Replies, 180,723 Views
IMDA AIM Graduate Development... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 4,679 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,040 Replies, 7,127,265 Views
Electrical Engineering Jobs in...
1 Replies, 289 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
522 Replies, 284,937 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 68,350 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 290,612 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,493 Replies, 724,747 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,436 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,136 Replies, 439,178 Views
How to make money online as a...
2 Replies, 1,436 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 113,859 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
559 Replies, 232,715 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2