Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   is public sector good for fresh grad? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7527-public-sector-good-fresh-grad.html)

wintrysun 27-06-2016 10:15 PM

is public sector good for fresh grad?

Hi all, my friends and I have very differing views on public sector work for fresh grad. May I know if anyone (been a fresh grad there for long), would you recommend starting your career there?

Many said public sector is a dead end. Is it true that most skills are not transferable? hence the high pay?

Unregistered 27-06-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wintrysun (Post 87799)
Hi all, my friends and I have very differing views on public sector work for fresh grad. May I know if anyone (been a fresh grad there for long), would you recommend starting your career there?

Many said public sector is a dead end. Is it true that most skills are not transferable? hence the high pay?

Sharing from own experience. I graduated 4 years old, in the private sector. Can only say that I am glad that I didnt join the public sector. Personally I develop better in a more dynamic environment which the private sector can offer. Its true to some extent that some skills are not transferable. You can try staying in public sector for long enough, your value may not be as high. So I would recommend private sector. You get to see the real working world.

Unregistered 27-06-2016 11:53 PM

Go to private sector if u have the drive and think u belong to the top 20%. Altho, the problem is 80% of the ppl think they are the top 20%.... 3/4 of them are going to be very disappointed at the end of the day.

For me, im not someone who has strong career ambition nor do i need to drive big cars or live in bungalow. So civil service is the place for me.. i dun have to worry about the poor market condition, i still get my bonus even tho the economy is going from bad to worse, i dun have to OT till 9pm everyday.

Altho civil service will nvr pay me big bucks, it is enough for me to afford a decent standard of living.

Unregistered 28-06-2016 08:05 AM

Elite MNC vs Elite stat board, which is better?

Unregistered 28-06-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87810)
Go to private sector if u have the drive and think u belong to the top 20%. Altho, the problem is 80% of the ppl think they are the top 20%.... 3/4 of them are going to be very disappointed at the end of the day.

For me, im not someone who has strong career ambition nor do i need to drive big cars or live in bungalow. So civil service is the place for me.. i dun have to worry about the poor market condition, i still get my bonus even tho the economy is going from bad to worse, i dun have to OT till 9pm everyday.

Altho civil service will nvr pay me big bucks, it is enough for me to afford a decent standard of living.

Well said, although if you belong to the 80% you will earn more in the CS than pte. Easily $120k in your early 30s, which is more difficult to achieve in pte.

Unregistered 28-06-2016 09:45 AM

Go private cos there's more money there if you are good.

I feel public sector is not suited for young fresh grads (I'll be bored to death)

Unregistered 28-06-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87815)
Well said, although if you belong to the 80% you will earn more in the CS than pte. Easily $120k in your early 30s, which is more difficult to achieve in pte.

On average or generally, civil/public servant able to achieve 120k annually by early 30s? Can anyone second to that? What I heard now is that most civil/public servants earn 120k annually by mid 30s - end 30s. Please do not mislead others by giving the minority numbers.

Unregistered 28-06-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87813)
Elite MNC vs Elite stat board, which is better?

elite MNC. esp for a fresh grad.

because it is much easier to jump from elite MNC to elite stat board than the other way around.

Unregistered 30-06-2016 09:19 PM

sounds to me the overall conclusion s that public sector is slow and doesn't learn much skills.

then why do so many smart graduates join civil service? (pay is also not exceptionally high )

Unregistered 30-06-2016 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87988)
sounds to me the overall conclusion s that public sector is slow and doesn't learn much skills.

then why do so many smart graduates join civil service? (pay is also not exceptionally high )

Decent pay, school environment, iron rice bowl. Most are just scared of the real working world.