Sales job: International travel/Allowance - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Sales job: International travel/Allowance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
terminator is on a distinguished road
Default Sales job: International travel/Allowance

This is NOT a job advert. I just need help of fellow contributors who have some experience or know-how.

Hello, so I will be starting my first Sales job. Ok, I admit that I was ignorant of some aspects of compensation during the interview process so did not clarify. Basic pay is ok. My questions to fellow contributors:

A) Travel allowance/expenses: This job would require international travel. Flight and hotel booking will supposedly be done by the company so let's not consider these in expenses discussion here. P.S.: I do not own a personal credit card.
A1) Should company pay for my meals expenses during travel?
A2) If the answer to above is yes, besides meals, taxi fare, laundry, what other expenses should I be prepared for or expect the company to cover?
A3) For international travel is it normal for employee to pay first for necessary expenses during travel like taxi, meals, laundry, etc and then get reimbursed after submitting the receipts? Or should the company give advance before each travel? What should I expect and what is the acceptable way for such regular expenses: Advance or Reimbursement?
A4) How about medical insurance while overseas? What is going on in the industry for Sales-related employees?

B) Commission: Commission structure etc will be decided after probation or responsibility given.
B1) Which commission structure should I expect and which are better?

Question A3 is most important to me and kind of bothering me, because I don't want to end up paying huge bills during my trip, as I am no manager or high earner yet, so few hundred dollars per month matter to me as well.

Any help appreciated. Tks

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Most companies I know of typically reimburse travel related expenses, i.e. you pay first and get paid later. Typically once a month. Some do twice a month. You should check with your company. The company should also get you health and travel insurance with international coverage.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
This is NOT a job advert. I just need help of fellow contributors who have some experience or know-how.

Hello, so I will be starting my first Sales job. Ok, I admit that I was ignorant of some aspects of compensation during the interview process so did not clarify. Basic pay is ok. My questions to fellow contributors:

A) Travel allowance/expenses: This job would require international travel. Flight and hotel booking will supposedly be done by the company so let's not consider these in expenses discussion here. P.S.: I do not own a personal credit card.
A1) Should company pay for my meals expenses during travel?
A2) If the answer to above is yes, besides meals, taxi fare, laundry, what other expenses should I be prepared for or expect the company to cover?
A3) For international travel is it normal for employee to pay first for necessary expenses during travel like taxi, meals, laundry, etc and then get reimbursed after submitting the receipts? Or should the company give advance before each travel? What should I expect and what is the acceptable way for such regular expenses: Advance or Reimbursement?
A4) How about medical insurance while overseas? What is going on in the industry for Sales-related employees?

B) Commission: Commission structure etc will be decided after probation or responsibility given.
B1) Which commission structure should I expect and which are better?

Question A3 is most important to me and kind of bothering me, because I don't want to end up paying huge bills during my trip, as I am no manager or high earner yet, so few hundred dollars per month matter to me as well.

Any help appreciated. Tks
Shouldn't you be asking your company HR for their policies on such basic matters?

I fail to understand why you are asking these questions here. Every company has differences in travel policy and commission structure, if you don't like it then just turn down the offer. They are not going to change such things just because some online forum tells you otherwise.

If you want to ask advice on pay maybe others who do sales can share, otherwise this kind of administrative procedures really depends on companies and there is no such thing as 'acceptable' or 'not acceptable'.

PS: I really don't think reimbursement procedures should be the driver of assessing an offer. You should be focusing on more relevant things IMO.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2016, 12:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Shouldn't you be asking your company HR for their policies on such basic matters?

I fail to understand why you are asking these questions here. Every company has differences in travel policy and commission structure, if you don't like it then just turn down the offer. They are not going to change such things just because some online forum tells you otherwise.

If you want to ask advice on pay maybe others who do sales can share, otherwise this kind of administrative procedures really depends on companies and there is no such thing as 'acceptable' or 'not acceptable'.

PS: I really don't think reimbursement procedures should be the driver of assessing an offer. You should be focusing on more relevant things IMO.
TS say he is starting on the job, so offer already sign no way to back out. Agree that he should just clarify with his company instead of asking here, no point also.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
terminator is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Shouldn't you be asking your company HR for their policies on such basic matters?

I fail to understand why you are asking these questions here. Every company has differences in travel policy and commission structure, if you don't like it then just turn down the offer. They are not going to change such things just because some online forum tells you otherwise.

If you want to ask advice on pay maybe others who do sales can share, otherwise this kind of administrative procedures really depends on companies and there is no such thing as 'acceptable' or 'not acceptable'.

PS: I really don't think reimbursement procedures should be the driver of assessing an offer. You should be focusing on more relevant things IMO.
Thanks for the reply. Agreed that there is no right or wrong way. It might also depends on circumstances or situation.

However, there would be 50-75% international travel so I suppose that such regular/subsistence expenses(airfare/hotel by company beforehand) may not be insignificant. And if there is no written practice, as you know at times the management may choose or suggest the convenient way for themselves; that they prefer to reimburse rather than giving advance. Since I am new to this, I just want to know what is the trend or dominant practice in other places for such jobs? I neither want to look fussy/miser nor be shortchanged. And it wud not be matter of occasional or few travels, but an ongoing thing on my job.

Also, is it ok if i ask about this during first few days of job or only when the first travel opportunity comes by?

Thks to other 2 person who replied also. Further input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Thanks for the reply. Agreed that there is no right or wrong way. It might also depends on circumstances or situation.

However, there would be 50-75% international travel so I suppose that such regular/subsistence expenses(airfare/hotel by company beforehand) may not be insignificant. And if there is no written practice, as you know at times the management may choose or suggest the convenient way for themselves; that they prefer to reimburse rather than giving advance. Since I am new to this, I just want to know what is the trend or dominant practice in other places for such jobs? I neither want to look fussy/miser nor be shortchanged. And it wud not be matter of occasional or few travels, but an ongoing thing on my job.

Also, is it ok if i ask about this during first few days of job or only when the first travel opportunity comes by?

Thks to other 2 person who replied also. Further input would be appreciated.
TBH if such a thing (honestly quite trivial IMO) is really that important to you, you should have just asked the company before signing up with them.

Be that as it may, if your company doesn't even have a written policy on such basic administrative matters, then I suspect it's a very small local company culture type, i.e. more or less 99% guaranteed is you pay first then reimburse.

This kind of company you better be conservative no matter what the boss say verbally, buy cheapest budget airline and stay basic local 3* or below hotel first. Since they don't have any proper policy, you don't want to get into a situation where the company refuse to reimburse for 'excessive' expense then become a you say they say argument. You sure lose in the end like that.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Your company must have a travel policy. Ask for it.

Most companies require you to pay first and reimburse later, unless you are a very junior staff then you may request for advance payment. Once again depending on your company travel policy. Usually meals, travel, laundry, mobile phone expenses should be claimable. I have meals and drinks at reasonable places although my boss doesn't question me on the few occasions that I go to fancier restaurants while traveling. One of the companies I've worked for went on a per diem basis which was great.

Don't fret over it.. traveling for work is no big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
terminator is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
TBH if such a thing (honestly quite trivial IMO) is really that important to you, you should have just asked the company before signing up with them.

Be that as it may, if your company doesn't even have a written policy on such basic administrative matters, then I suspect it's a very small local company culture type, i.e. more or less 99% guaranteed is you pay first then reimburse.

This kind of company you better be conservative no matter what the boss say verbally, buy cheapest budget airline and stay basic local 3* or below hotel first. Since they don't have any proper policy, you don't want to get into a situation where the company refuse to reimburse for 'excessive' expense then become a you say they say argument. You sure lose in the end like that.
Well, I did not ask about it during interviews as they didn't come across my mind, as I said I am new to thiss. However, now that I am exploring I get these questions. Noted from your and other people's reply that these are not to be worried about a lot as it depends on policy. I am just imagining that what if the company doesn't have a clearly defined policy regarding this? Or a written policy? Worst is they will ask the junior staff (me) to go by reimbursement route, rather than advance? If there is written policy that ok, reimbursement is the only way for all, then I am ok.
The reason its bothering me is that yes, it's a learning opportunity, so even if basic or commission low, not big issue, as low income is still minimum income. But if I end up spending own money during travel on things like food, taxi, etc and wait until reimbursement, this may lower the income I am left with?

By the way, it is really not a very small company. Its decent, but will see the real situation once there. Lol, from what I know, hotel and airfare will be arranged by administration, so lets not go into the scenario where I am paying first and then claim.

But thks anyway, I suppose you mean that I should not worry too much.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ask the HR. You are entitled to know such relevant policies. Zero value in asking here, we have no clue which company or industry you are in to even give you a benchmark.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
terminator is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your company must have a travel policy. Ask for it.

Most companies require you to pay first and reimburse later, unless you are a very junior staff then you may request for advance payment. Once again depending on your company travel policy. Usually meals, travel, laundry, mobile phone expenses should be claimable. I have meals and drinks at reasonable places although my boss doesn't question me on the few occasions that I go to fancier restaurants while traveling. One of the companies I've worked for went on a per diem basis which was great.

Don't fret over it.. traveling for work is no big deal.
Well, that is interesting piece of advice and encouraging too. Yes, I don't want to cling my thoughts on these and end up losing focus on real thing. That is why I need a clear perspective on this based on experience of other people.

You say junior staff can request advance payment? I thought it was other way round- can ask junior staff to do anyhow?

Yes I also find the per diem model seems nice. So did they give you per diem allowance upfront ?

I really hope they already have a generous/reasonable travel policy in handbook. And hope it's advance allowance, and whatever is leftover based on receipts, they take from me. Hope that they don't make a fishy/customized policy.

So may I ask you if you happened to travel overseas on public holiday(in Singapore)/weekend, then did you claim timeoff for that? And how about the medical insurance during overseas travel?

Tks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sales & marketing

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job with travel opportunities and decent work life balance? verselines Income and Jobs 12 15-06-2021 05:37 PM
Join the MLM Travel Industry HanMark Income and Jobs 34 11-10-2015 02:11 PM
Travel/Hospitality/Airlines Salary Daryl Income and Jobs 13 03-07-2013 06:11 AM
Is Medical Allowance Cpf Payable or Taxable? BobbyJ Income and Jobs 1 28-12-2010 05:32 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
675 Replies, 375,190 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,131 Replies, 2,661,585 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,917 Replies, 643,760 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,898 Replies, 7,624,584 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,292 Replies, 2,657,779 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,251 Replies, 311,223 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,047 Replies, 772,270 Views
Singapore LNG Corporation (SLNG)
2 Replies, 286 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
202 Replies, 78,784 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
278 Replies, 115,565 Views
Fresh Grad Advice: Local Big 4... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 14,053 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
169 Replies, 113,543 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,741 Replies, 5,009,085 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
533 Replies, 305,096 Views
Civil Service Bonus 2021 Year End
2 Replies, 539 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
624 Replies, 324,000 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 32,389 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
164 Replies, 53,149 Views
Year end bonus for civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
332 Replies, 66,672 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,847 Replies, 4,468,754 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,046 Replies, 1,866,476 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,802 Replies, 2,151,956 Views
O&G pricing agencies
4 Replies, 1,029 Views
Shell Graduate program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 151,988 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
48 Replies, 12,925 Views
Anyone working in Facebook...
7 Replies, 717 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 24,209 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 132,731 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,199 Replies, 1,522,652 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,836 Replies, 1,491,816 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2