Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Sales job: International travel/Allowance

Old 24-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Verified Member

terminator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ask the HR. You are entitled to know such relevant policies. Zero value in asking here, we have no clue which company or industry you are in to even give you a benchmark.
I know it depends on policy but I just don't want to be shocked, confused or be ignorant when a policy is dictated to me. So that is why assessing from opinion, experience and advice of others, just in order to be prepared. Tks anyway

Old 24-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
You say junior staff can request advance payment? I thought it was other way round- can ask junior staff to do anyhow?
Depends on the HR travel policy.

Quote:
Yes I also find the per diem model seems nice. So did they give you per diem allowance upfront ?
Many companies don't practice per diem anymore. Back when I did get per diem it was always on reimbursement. Don't be surprised that your admin may book hotels for you but you may have to pay first upon check out since it is unlikely that your company will have corporate accounts with so many hotels in so many countries.

Quote:
I really hope they already have a generous/reasonable travel policy in handbook. And hope it's advance allowance, and whatever is leftover based on receipts, they take from me. Hope that they don't make a fishy/customized policy.
Don't expect generous travel policies in this current economic climate. What do you mean customized policy?? Your company can dictate anything they want but no reputable company will short change you over this kind of things la.....

Quote:
So may I ask you if you happened to travel overseas on public holiday(in Singapore)/weekend, then did you claim timeoff for that? And how about the medical insurance during overseas travel?
Depends on HR travel policy. Usually you get off in lieu but there are times when I don't claim. As a sales person you will be very flexi and you are bound to slack off during office hours so learn how to give and take. Don't "gek kao" everything down to the last min.... Medical insurance usually covered by company group policy.

IN short, FIND OUR FROM HR.

Old 24-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, that is interesting piece of advice and encouraging too. Yes, I don't want to cling my thoughts on these and end up losing focus on real thing. That is why I need a clear perspective on this based on experience of other people.

You say junior staff can request advance payment? I thought it was other way round- can ask junior staff to do anyhow?

Yes I also find the per diem model seems nice. So did they give you per diem allowance upfront ?

I really hope they already have a generous/reasonable travel policy in handbook. And hope it's advance allowance, and whatever is leftover based on receipts, they take from me. Hope that they don't make a fishy/customized policy.

So may I ask you if you happened to travel overseas on public holiday(in Singapore)/weekend, then did you claim timeoff for that? And how about the medical insurance during overseas travel?

Tks
Just ask HR lah, how you expect ppl here to answer things like time off, public holiday, insurance. Just because you are new doesn't mean no common sense right.

Stop asking random stuff here. PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL YOUR HR!!!

Old 25-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Depends on the HR travel policy.

Many companies don't practice per diem anymore. Back when I did get per diem it was always on reimbursement. Don't be surprised that your admin may book hotels for you but you may have to pay first upon check out since it is unlikely that your company will have corporate accounts with so many hotels in so many countries.

Don't expect generous travel policies in this current economic climate. What do you mean customized policy?? Your company can dictate anything they want but no reputable company will short change you over this kind of things la.....

Depends on HR travel policy. Usually you get off in lieu but there are times when I don't claim. As a sales person you will be very flexi and you are bound to slack off during office hours so learn how to give and take. Don't "gek kao" everything down to the last min.... Medical insurance usually covered by company group policy.

IN short, FIND OUR FROM HR.
Tks for your info. I am coming to realize that: reimbursements is a common practice. It depends on the HR's practice policy and if reimbursements is the way then I would just need to politely ask if advance is possible. But what you said about paying first for hotel and flights is disturbing. Because from what I think, travel will not be occasional but regularly. Even if they don't have corporate account with hotels/airlines then they still cannot pay first by company's debit/credit card via online booking? I think it is possible to do so.

I understand from the replies so far that I don't need to be too much worried or fussy about all these expenses matter, especially the subsistence expenses. I believe the HR has been dealing with this in past so they should have some practice in place.

Regarding the "customized" policy thing: You make sense that a good/caring employer will not shortchange an employee over such matters. After all, they should know that if it gets burdensome for the staff then the staff may have second thoughts about the job. Taking pressure of workload and tough deadlines is one thing, but being worried due to money matters is another issue. I think it would just be better to politely discuss in case such business-related expenses get burdensome for me, like if I need to pay a lot of my own money first or that the reimbursements are being delayed, etc.

I would appreciate if you can advise if my thought process is ok??

Last edited by terminator; 25-06-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 25-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Just ask HR lah, how you expect ppl here to answer things like time off, public holiday, insurance. Just because you are new doesn't mean no common sense right.

Stop asking random stuff here. PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL YOUR HR!!!
This is random stuff but not irrelevant. I had clearly mentioned in my first post that people with knowledge or experience may advise. And so far the input has been great. I expect them to answer the things mentioned above because they may have dealt with same things on their own job or are aware of the practice in their company? I am not asking them to tell me what is the right way or how it should be with my future employer, just asking to share their own opinion/experience. Tks for the advice about asking from the HR, though.
Old 25-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Tks for your info. I am coming to realize that: reimbursements is a common practice. It depends on the HR's practice policy and if reimbursements is the way then I would just need to politely ask if advance is possible. But what you said about paying first for hotel and flights is disturbing. Because from what I think, travel will not be occasional but regularly. Even if they don't have corporate account with hotels/airlines then they still cannot pay first by company's debit/credit card via online booking? I think it is possible to do so.

I understand from the replies so far that I don't need to be too much worried or fussy about all these expenses matter, especially the subsistence expenses. I believe the HR has been dealing with this in past so they should have some practice in place.

Regarding the "customized" policy thing: You make sense that a good/caring employer will not shortchange an employee over such matters. After all, they should know that if it gets burdensome for the staff then the staff may have second thoughts about the job. Taking pressure of workload and tough deadlines is one thing, but being worried due to money matters is another issue. I think it would just be better to politely discuss in case such business-related expenses get burdensome for me, like if I need to pay a lot of my own money first or that the reimbursements are being delayed, etc.

I would appreciate if you can advise if my thought process is ok??
OMG - Pick up the bloody phone and call HR and ask whatever thing you wanna ask!!! Happy with the answer take the job, not happy just sayonara. I really find it ridiculous that you are going on and on about something like this emoing and fantasizing about some business case as if you are pitching for a mutli-billion dollar deal.

You are not going to survive in the sales world with this sort of mentality. Successful sales people are bold, confident, go-getter and unafraid of any rejection. So far, you are displaying all the opposite traits.

Either wise up and change your behavior or go look for some other desk bound job. Hate to sound rude, but you are not going to last a year in sales with this sort of humjiness when you haven't even start work.

Jeezzzz

Old 25-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are not going to survive in the sales world with this sort of mentality. Successful sales people are bold, confident, go-getter and unafraid of any rejection. So far, you are displaying all the opposite traits.
Agreed. Stop bitching about it and pick up the damn phone and talk to HR. What is TS selling?? I'd be more concerned about closing my first sale than such trivial things.
Old 27-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Salesman

Quote:
This is random stuff but not irrelevant. I had clearly mentioned in my first post that people with knowledge or experience may advise. And so far the input has been great. I expect them to answer the things mentioned above because they may have dealt with same things on their own job or are aware of the practice in their company? I am not asking them to tell me what is the right way or how it should be with my future employer, just asking to share their own opinion/experience. Tks for the advice about asking from the HR, though.
Just sharing my experience in these fields, been with small and MNC companies before.

If it is a MNCs, I believed all budget will need to be approved through your company process software, your immediate boss will need to know the expense, and also the CFO as well. Once they approved, then you can proceed. Some provides (Japanese co.) fixed allowance per day, but exclude flghts, accommodation. In American companies, usually you have to pay first and claim when you are back in office. But claiming will also depends on the type of reports you are sending to them. If it is a good trip, they won't ask so much. But if it is not a fruitful trip, probably they will be picking on you.

If it is a SME, best is to check with HR first. Or someone you feel comfortable in the office (after your first day). If you are asking your boss, sure he will say take the most economical accommodation, flights, meals, etc.

For big companies, they should be an employee handbook which states the benefits, what grade of benefits are you entitled, etc...

So simple.