Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Help: My company kenna eaten over. (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7466-help-my-company-kenna-eaten-over.html)

jerrylim 16-06-2016 04:33 AM

Help: My company kenna eaten over.

Long story short, my company kenna taken over by another bigger local subsidiary. Then my direct boss will return to HQ.

Then I will be under another manager which we used to have issues working together. I have been here for 11 years and just completed some Spec dip in poly recently.

Have started looking around for jobs since 2 weeks. The company merger will take place 4-6 months from now.

I already have the intention to run 1 1/2 years ago due to low salary and progression in my current place but stayed on because of the part time course at SP.

After sending out many applications, only NTU contacted me for an interview. But I am quite concern about the 3 years contract position offered. My current is a perm and I had very bad experience from 1997-2004 struggling around contract jobs and bad economy. That is why I managed to stay in my current company for 11 years.

After 11 years my salary is still below 4k and I am dealing with the IT infrastructure side.

I am wondering now to take the NTU one if offered to run from the new weird manager that I will be under or wait for any perm opportunities from the private sectors? I seldom change jobs so I hope to find a perm opening. Thanks guys.:(:(

Unregistered 16-06-2016 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrylim (Post 87228)
Long story short, my company kenna taken over by another bigger local subsidiary. Then my direct boss will return to HQ.

Then I will be under another manager which we used to have issues working together. I have been here for 11 years and just completed some Spec dip in poly recently.

Have started looking around for jobs since 2 weeks. The company merger will take place 4-6 months from now.

I already have the intention to run 1 1/2 years ago due to low salary and progression in my current place but stayed on because of the part time course at SP.

After sending out many applications, only NTU contacted me for an interview. But I am quite concern about the 3 years contract position offered. My current is a perm and I had very bad experience from 1997-2004 struggling around contract jobs and bad economy. That is why I managed to stay in my current company for 11 years.

After 11 years my salary is still below 4k and I am dealing with the IT infrastructure side.

I am wondering now to take the NTU one if offered to run from the new weird manager that I will be under or wait for any perm opportunities from the private sectors? I seldom change jobs so I hope to find a perm opening. Thanks guys.:(:(

Just go for the interview first. 3 years contract is a long time and you can definitely find another job by then. Plus NTU is quite a good name compared to those small unknown SMEs that you are working for. It will be better for your resume. If NTU offers you higher salary than your current job, you should consider jumping and ask NTU if they can offer u perm

jerrylim 16-06-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87231)
Just go for the interview first. 3 years contract is a long time and you can definitely find another job by then. Plus NTU is quite a good name compared to those small unknown SMEs that you are working for. It will be better for your resume. If NTU offers you higher salary than your current job, you should consider jumping and ask NTU if they can offer u perm

I am working in a mnc as well. But then me already 41 now. 3 years 44 and I reckon it will be even harder for me to find new jobs.

Unregistered 16-06-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrylim (Post 87232)
I am working in a mnc as well. But then me already 41 now. 3 years 44 and I reckon it will be even harder for me to find new jobs.

Your this kind of mentality, just stay put where you are and whine away. You deserve your salary and your current situation, no matter the age.

Unregistered 16-06-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87236)
Your this kind of mentality, just stay put where you are and whine away. You deserve your salary and your current situation, no matter the age.

He may have commitments (families, kids, elderly parents). Don't judge too quickly.

I do agree that you should go for the interview with NTU, fight for a higher salary.

Unregistered 16-06-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrylim (Post 87232)

Be more confident. Work and learn hard in NTU to be valuable asset to them. Hard work and knowledge is visible and you need to prove to employer that you are capable for them to convert you to permanent. All the negative thinking will only hamper your growth.

jerrylim 16-06-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87236)

In singapore, growing old is scary. maybe you are young now and did not have to face such situations.

jerrylim 16-06-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87238)
He may have commitments (families, kids, elderly parents). Don't judge too quickly.

I do agree that you should go for the interview with NTU, fight for a higher salary.

over the years of working. i do have some savings. so i am looking for stability rather than more money. the only thing about ntu is contract. finding jobs is not easy, i was thinking to find a perm one then run.

jerrylim 16-06-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87239)
Be more confident. Work and learn hard in NTU to be valuable asset to them. Hard work and knowledge is visible and you need to prove to employer that you are capable for them to convert you to permanent. All the negative thinking will only hamper your growth.

if i am not wrong. there are no perm positions in NTU. even associate professors are based on 3 years contract. except full professors in faculty. :(

Unregistered 16-06-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrylim (Post 87243)
if i am not wrong. there are no perm positions in NTU. even associate professors are based on 3 years contract. except full professors in faculty. :(

Then if u not comfortable with contract then stay put and be happy with ur less than 4k salary. Just try and get along with ur new boss.