Graduated from NTU EEE recently, what are my career options? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Graduated from NTU EEE recently, what are my career options?

Old 18-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hao lian

"Just" basic
Annual package will be "more"

Come I clap for you since u so haolian
I am the one who post 8k basic but I did not post the "just" and "more". I am just encouraging the TS not to be too worry about the academic results and learn as much as possible during the first few years so he can achieve his goal to join MNC. 7 years ago, I was in the same position too, worry that all government jobs will shut me out and MNC will not bother to look at my resume etc. More importantly is having a right attitude and employers will recognise your capability. Seriously nothing to Haolian, there are many scholars and high fliers earning very high salary.

Old 18-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am the one who post 8k basic but I did not post the "just" and "more". I am just encouraging the TS not to be too worry about the academic results and learn as much as possible during the first few years so he can achieve his goal to join MNC. 7 years ago, I was in the same position too, worry that all government jobs will shut me out and MNC will not bother to look at my resume etc. More importantly is having a right attitude and employers will recognise your capability. Seriously nothing to Haolian, there are many scholars and high fliers earning very high salary.
8k is not much. Even those bancassurance sales staff you see in local banks can earn up to 20k a month. And they are fresh grads

Old 18-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Default 103

Quote:
8k is not much. Even those bancassurance sales staff you see in local banks can earn up to 20k a month. And they are fresh grads
Indeed provided if you want to be in sales. We are not comparing to people in sales.

Old 18-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am sure you are not here to help the TS. Not many people can enter bank to earn high salary and not all Bankers are earning big bucks. There might be fresh grads earning high commission but not consistent. As mentioned by TS, he has joined construction industry with 3k salary but worry about his future on having only a pass degree. Shouldn't we as senior who has similar experience to provide some advice.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 23-06-2016, 01:09 PM

freshgrad90 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi, I am the TS. Thanks guys for the positive reply. Yeah the excessive emphasis on salary, finance sector is a bit discouraging but I am very grateful for the positive information posted here.

Usually, how long do I need to stay in this first job before I can try moving onto another bigger company again? Is 1 year considered too short?

I didnt do well in NTU second year, I failed all the modules in that year due to some serious family problems that I was going through. From 3rd year onwards, I managed to buck up and get an average of A-/B+ and get out of academic probation, but it was already too late and I could only graduate with a pass degree. Most universities state they need a second class upper honours for masters, in that case I can never further my education?

Sorry for asking too many questions but I believe this thread has been really useful. Thanks again.
Old 24-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

Similar situation, just sharing. I graduated CS this year from nus with a pass, 2.2/5 (due to illness, but no excuse). Got interview with MNC like oracle, BOAML, IBM, Ubisoft, etc, but did not get the job because I did not do very well in the test/interview. Offered 3.1k by NCS but turned down. Finally settled with a local coy at 3k. Not bad for a fresh grad with a pass degree. There are many times where hopelessness and depression really set in, and there are times where I lowered my expectation to 2k+ and just apply whatever on jobstreet, even with toxic recruitment agency.

Now, I devote my non working hour to building side projects, improving myself, and preparing for technical interview. Hopefully can land a job in a big tech company like FB/Google 1 year from now.

Old 28-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshgrad90 View Post
Hi, I am the TS. Thanks guys for the positive reply. Yeah the excessive emphasis on salary, finance sector is a bit discouraging but I am very grateful for the positive information posted here.

Usually, how long do I need to stay in this first job before I can try moving onto another bigger company again? Is 1 year considered too short?

I didnt do well in NTU second year, I failed all the modules in that year due to some serious family problems that I was going through. From 3rd year onwards, I managed to buck up and get an average of A-/B+ and get out of academic probation, but it was already too late and I could only graduate with a pass degree. Most universities state they need a second class upper honours for masters, in that case I can never further my education?

Sorry for asking too many questions but I believe this thread has been really useful. Thanks again.
There is no fixed period for you to move to MNC. It really depends on your progression and available opportunities. Furthermore, not all MNCs are better than SME. Just work diligently and always update your CV periodically for possible openings.
Old 28-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Similar situation, just sharing. I graduated CS this year from nus with a pass, 2.2/5 (due to illness, but no excuse). Got interview with MNC like oracle, BOAML, IBM, Ubisoft, etc, but did not get the job because I did not do very well in the test/interview. Offered 3.1k by NCS but turned down. Finally settled with a local coy at 3k. Not bad for a fresh grad with a pass degree. There are many times where hopelessness and depression really set in, and there are times where I lowered my expectation to 2k+ and just apply whatever on jobstreet, even with toxic recruitment agency.

Now, I devote my non working hour to building side projects, improving myself, and preparing for technical interview. Hopefully can land a job in a big tech company like FB/Google 1 year from now.
Yes don't give up. Sometimes you wont know, just apply. After 3 yrs of work, I am now in an MNC, among the top employers together with FB/Google. Never expect to join the company.
Old 29-06-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Yes don't give up. Sometimes you wont know, just apply. After 3 yrs of work, I am now in an MNC, among the top employers together with FB/Google. Never expect to join the company.
Hi, were you initially also in a smaller firm or SME? Were you also holding onto a pass degree?

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 29-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
There is no fixed period for you to move to MNC. It really depends on your progression and available opportunities. Furthermore, not all MNCs are better than SME. Just work diligently and always update your CV periodically for possible openings.
Hi, just checking. Do you guys quote your cgpa/degree class in your resume? Even after getting the first job and after 1 or 2 years maybe, do you guys still quote the degree class in the resume?

Or, just plainly put it as a Bachelor's Degree from NTU/NUS?