Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   To change or not to change (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7258-change-not-change.html)

Aguyindistress 11-05-2016 02:52 PM

To change or not to change

Hi, I am currently working as a Insurance Agent and drawing a salary of about $60k annually. It was my first job out of Uni. Been giving my future some thought and was wondering if I should change a job and dive back into engineering again. I hold a 2nd upper in engineering.

Any advice?

Unregistered 11-05-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguyindistress (Post 85380)
Hi, I am currently working as a Insurance Agent and drawing a salary of about $60k annually. It was my first job out of Uni. Been giving my future some thought and was wondering if I should change a job and dive back into engineering again. I hold a 2nd upper in engineering.

Any advice?

What engineering is your degree? How long have you been working as agent?

Unregistered 11-05-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguyindistress (Post 85380)

Any advice?

Depends... how many years since you grad? Since you work in engineering I would think that you have to start with an entry level job that will probably not get you $60k pa.

Then again, CS is going to have to make the job market for engineers benchmark to them again so you could try CS.

Unregistered 12-05-2016 12:09 AM

Similar situation as you a few years back. Lured by the potential earning but not making as much as fast as expected and beyond my character to keep acting more successful than I really was in front of friends and family.

Left and went back engineering, fortunately without pay cut, doing something I prefer and most importantly no emotional burden :) Since you are already asking this question, it is more of a matter of when and what...

Actually 60k is quite decent, how many years since grad?

Aguyindistress 12-05-2016 01:28 PM

I grad 2 years ago. Started my career end 2014. Last year was my first full year so the first year salary ($24k) helped quite abit. I am majoring in electronics engineering.

The stress on my job is unreal and there are some major changes in the environment which would make it harder to survive.

The only thing that is stopping me is the fact that CS pay increment is a mere 3-5% per annum from what I heard. Anyone can verify this fact?

Unregistered 12-05-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguyindistress (Post 85422)
I grad 2 years ago. Started my career end 2014. Last year was my first full year so the first year salary ($24k) helped quite abit. I am majoring in electronics engineering.

The stress on my job is unreal and there are some major changes in the environment which would make it harder to survive.

The only thing that is stopping me is the fact that CS pay increment is a mere 3-5% per annum from what I heard. Anyone can verify this fact?

Yes the increment is quite little if u compare to insurance agent. But the stability is there in cs. U will suffer paycut if u join cs

Unregistered 13-05-2016 06:54 PM

dunno where you hear that from.
its 6-8% for my case.

Unregistered 14-05-2016 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguyindistress (Post 85422)

CS pay increment is quite good. Most average performers start off 10-12% for the first few years then slow down and stabilize at 6-8% all the way till retirement. Promotions add another 15-20% on top.