Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Which job offer should I choose?

Old 18-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for your answer.

Seems semiconductor is really some.place I need to avoid. A lot of my friends also dun even attend interviews when hr approached them.
I tried for MAP in foreogn banks but got rejected either due to technical.skills or due to behaviour performance. Guess I may not be good enough to shine with other top tier fresh grads. I finally received an offer in GA program from DBS but they rescinded after cutting hiring headcount.

Now I think civil service is really somewhere I should go into. Actually my friend study Cvil Eng is gping to LTA. Not sure about his pay but I heard quite well and of course relaxed

Last question: How can get an interview in civil service? I got no feedback after applying...
Finally, haha I never dream I can be some sr director in the future. Hope so!

Thank you.
Well since you applied and din't get any of those good positions in the banks, the only thing left to do is to go careers.gov website and apply as many fresh grad positions as possible. Public sector is very into FCH so just keep applying you will get something.

Be patient, the actual economy is much worse than the news is saying. Many people are trying to get into ministry/stat board so competition is there, it might take a while of applying many jobs before you get an interview.

Old 18-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Appreciate your reply and I assume you are a senior with clear career planning for yourself.

Now tell me, when you were in your twenties, fresh out of school, during a career fair. You saw so many companies and you have a clear goal that you want to do cyber security for example. Then you only send your resumes to a couple of few cyber companies. Then tell me when can you find your career planning job?

I have three offers which are not in the same industry but at least they are related to my degree and all of these I have some knowledge in my degree courses.

I didn't apply for chemicals, I didn't apply for insurance, I didn't apply for mechanical and civil because these are the things I DONT like to do and am not good at doing.

If you ask me about my career planning, let me show you my strength. I am good at maths, with sound coding foundation and I am also talktive and is able to present my ideas.

I know there are trends in Singapore such as data analytics, cyber security as well as DevOps which aimed to make Singapore a smart city. That's why I apply for these companies cuz.I thought yield engineer deal with data a lot. Level 3 engineer focus on DevOps and automation and pentester have hands on practice on cyber security.

I know I might be naive in this career planning. But please point out the errors for me instead of saying I have no future. I might not be as smart as you but at least I have the desire to be successful.
hey, disregard that previous post. No matter how good you are, some people will still find ways to put you down. But from what i see, you are doing a lot better than alot of your peers given that you have options too. (ofc, don't compare with your FCH peeps who got into banks/FMCG graduate programs) If cybersecurity is your area of interest, just go for it. Cybersecurity is now one of the hottest thing, so you should be safe for the next decade.

Choose the role you want, not the company.

Old 18-04-2016, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hey, disregard that previous post. No matter how good you are, some people will still find ways to put you down. But from what i see, you are doing a lot better than alot of your peers given that you have options too. (ofc, don't compare with your FCH peeps who got into banks/FMCG graduate programs) If cybersecurity is your area of interest, just go for it. Cybersecurity is now one of the hottest thing, so you should be safe for the next decade.

I think one should be cautious and not make career decisions based on generalizations of the hottest hype. Semicon, IT, e-commerce, bio science were all hot for a period of time as well, but reality is most people in these industries are suffering a few years later.

In fact certain areas of cybersecurity like vulnerability assessment, system requirements planning and network management are already cooling down due to too much competition and VC pump and dump into non-profitable markets. 2016 is gonna get worse as enterprises pull back and corporate budgets get cut. The only sustaining part left is in public infrastructure now.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think one should be cautious and not make career decisions based on generalizations of the hottest hype. Semicon, IT, e-commerce, bio science were all hot for a period of time as well, but reality is most people in these industries are suffering a few years later.

In fact certain areas of cybersecurity like vulnerability assessment, system requirements planning and network management are already cooling down due to too much competition and VC pump and dump into non-profitable markets. 2016 is gonna get worse as enterprises pull back and corporate budgets get cut. The only sustaining part left is in public infrastructure now.
dun anyhow spread fear if u dunno the industry. many cyber security experts are being paid in excess 20k after they get the relevant exp. this is a booming industry better than most others.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 18-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

i can see that you did think through on your choices.

Do avoid semi conductor companies. The jobs are going to China.

As for Level 3 engineer, this sounds like a systems integrator offering you a job rather than the bank directly hire you. Where got fresh grad (even an FCH) go direct to level 3 one? As a level 3, there is no guidance from anyone. You are supposed to be the highest level of support liao. If you dunno how to fix, means cannot fix. There is nobody to teach you. Only those systems integrator will hire you as level 3 straight. And our SIs are really low standard one.

As for cyber security the field is very hot now and will explode in the future. Security is hard. If you have taken any security modules before, you will know just how much you dunno. With the Internet of Things industry exploding due to enablers such as the Raspberry Pi, a lot more security experts are needed but the supply is very low as it is too intellectually difficult and tedious. Trawling through thousands of lines of log records is not fun. But your company is very important. If it is yet another Systems Integrator such as Cisco, you have to run as far as you can.
Old 18-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks!

Well , I apologize to that dude also as I lost my temper...

I was once the so called high flyer among my peers, interned at Buldge Bracket companies, with all the fancy CCA stuff. But that was years ago..

But when banks dumps you, when you CCA title ends, it's time for me to think about my career. After all not everyone can be high flyers forever. Even if u inside bb such as JPM or Goldman, you still have a chance of being sacked.

I think it's best to have a prospect job in a prospect company.
But I think right now I can only choose one of it.

Old 18-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I will be a pentester and I probably plan to pursue a master in three or four years time. My degree doesnt cover much in cyber.
Old 18-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
dun anyhow spread fear if u dunno the industry. many cyber security experts are being paid in excess 20k after they get the relevant exp. this is a booming industry better than most others.
As all these ppl suggest, I should go to cyber offer.

I start as a pentester and I will definitely work hard. Plus I will get a master degree in three to four years time.

My goal is in 5-6 years time, I want to make S$10,000 per month everything included.
Is that possible?
Old 18-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
As all these ppl suggest, I should go to cyber offer.

I start as a pentester and I will definitely work hard. Plus I will get a master degree in three to four years time.

My goal is in 5-6 years time, I want to make S$10,000 per month everything included.
Is that possible?
Very possible with bonuses - Just focus on being very competent in cyber security issues. I think it's a niche industry that is booming. Good luck!

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 18-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i can see that you did think through on your choices.

Do avoid semi conductor companies. The jobs are going to China.

As for Level 3 engineer, this sounds like a systems integrator offering you a job rather than the bank directly hire you. Where got fresh grad (even an FCH) go direct to level 3 one? As a level 3, there is no guidance from anyone. You are supposed to be the highest level of support liao. If you dunno how to fix, means cannot fix. There is nobody to teach you. Only those systems integrator will hire you as level 3 straight. And our SIs are really low standard one.

As for cyber security the field is very hot now and will explode in the future. Security is hard. If you have taken any security modules before, you will know just how much you dunno. With the Internet of Things industry exploding due to enablers such as the Raspberry Pi, a lot more security experts are needed but the supply is very low as it is too intellectually difficult and tedious. Trawling through thousands of lines of log records is not fun. But your company is very important. If it is yet another Systems Integrator such as Cisco, you have to run as far as you can.
I did some thinking in my career. Thank you!

For semicon, yes they are moving back to China but do they also shift their engineers to China as well?
I have a Malay friend got transfer to.China and got prompted. Please kindly verify it.

For the contractor, may I know what is system integrator? The manager told.me I will be a web master which deal with paper work and minutes of meeting which I thought no progression.

Cyber wise, yes it's gonna be tough and tough as hell. I tool related courses in my degree and I did cyber project also.Exammine thousands of lines of code is not funny. Get certed is also mentaly tough as well. But I think my friends in BB companies are also fighting to be the best.

Hope you can answer these questions:
1) Will semicon move their engineers to China and if so will engineers be prompted?
2) What is system integrator? Is it some role with paper work and book meeting rooms?

Thanks.