Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF - Page 5 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 17-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Ronaldo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb

I am now only 28 years old working as Business Development Director in media agency and I am earning NETT $12K monthly excluding 3 to 4 K commissions with bonuses.

Can I ask if my salary is Ok??

Thanks
Ronaldo

Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I am now only 28 years old working as Business Development Director in media agency and I am earning NETT $12K monthly excluding 3 to 4 K commissions with bonuses.

Can I ask if my salary is Ok??

Thanks
Ronaldo
It's too low, dude.

I'm a local, 26 this year, working as Business Development Director in media agency too and i'm already earning 25k monthly excluding transport allowance, housing allowances, bonuses and incentives etc. Btw, where do you get commission from?

FYI, my business development manager is already earning 18k monthly excluding all allowances.

You should quit your job and join my department. I still need a assistant business development manager. I'll pay you 15k monthly excluding all allowances.

They all report to me directly. You too, if you join me.

Don't worry, I'm a good boss. Leave your contacts.

Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Holy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nowadays army only recruit those with accounting, business degree so that they can be posted to join the gov related companies or make the army into a business corporations. All other courses of study is unimportant.

Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 30-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The military is full of political games, just like most big corporations.

Unlike most big corporations, your higher-ups have a lot more power over you, far more power.

Survive the political games and you'll be handsomely rewarded. After a few years, you can pretty much determine your future there by your promotions and unit postings.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by army-- View Post
The armed forces offer a great career. Just look at their TV advertisements. Surely, if they can spend so much money producing such attractive TV commercials they must mean what they say.
Is that all you can say? That they have awesome commercials therefore their career is also awesome? Surely you must be more knowledgeable than that.

In any case, the SAF is a bad choice as a career option unless you're totally into the idea of taking up arms and being paid straight out of our tax money without contributing meaningfully to the economy. You will be competing with dirt-cheap NS labour, and that will basically lower your wages as it is cheaper to them to redistribute your work amongst the servicemen rather than you. Even if you get to a rank that has no NS men, they will find it cheaper to redistribute your work amongst lower-ranking NS officers than to pay you competitive market-rate salaries, unless you happen to be the top guy. Basically, that will lower the value of your own labour. Having that constant inflow of cheap NS labour is just like how an influx of low-wage Chinese immigrants can end up depressing wages in industries everywhere here.

You can try and argue that you have special qualities that NS men don't, but that only means that the NS men are somewhat less efficient at it. If you understand economics, you'll realise that no worker can claim total exclusivity in their job. Everything can be given a valuation in the end. Do you think that has stopped immigrant workers from competing from local labour, even though local workers can claim to have "better knowledge" of the local society? And given that NS men earn a lot less, it's so much cheaper for them to hire NS men. And all that, even though MINDEF takes up the largest budget allocation of all the ministries.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

so is MDES scheme really good??
Any different from the past.
Any one are in MDES or Do u have friends/relative in MDES
Reply With Quote

  #47 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Ruth Yaap is on a distinguished road
Smile Salary of Adminstrative Officer at local university

Hi, I am wondering if any one knows how much does an Administrative Officer with about 13 years of working experience earn per month?
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Yaap View Post
Hi, I am wondering if any one knows how much does an Administrative Officer with about 13 years of working experience earn per month?
if you're talking about the AOs in the elite admin service, the good ones with about 10+ years experience earn 300k to 400k a year.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
so how does the MDES works.

The new state that MDES also can recuit mid career professional.

So can someone age 40 join MDES??
Technically, can.
However, if you are applying for a post that's ME4 (Officer equivalent) and above, you may have to go through some leadership training, such as OCS. I think it is a truncated one, so it won't be the full 9 months.

The idea of MDES is to allow mid-stream recruitment to beef up the technical / engineering vocations in SAF.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is that all you can say? That they have awesome commercials therefore their career is also awesome? Surely you must be more knowledgeable than that.

In any case, the SAF is a bad choice as a career option unless you're totally into the idea of taking up arms and being paid straight out of our tax money without contributing meaningfully to the economy. You will be competing with dirt-cheap NS labour, and that will basically lower your wages as it is cheaper to them to redistribute your work amongst the servicemen rather than you. Even if you get to a rank that has no NS men, they will find it cheaper to redistribute your work amongst lower-ranking NS officers than to pay you competitive market-rate salaries, unless you happen to be the top guy. Basically, that will lower the value of your own labour. Having that constant inflow of cheap NS labour is just like how an influx of low-wage Chinese immigrants can end up depressing wages in industries everywhere here.

You can try and argue that you have special qualities that NS men don't, but that only means that the NS men are somewhat less efficient at it. If you understand economics, you'll realise that no worker can claim total exclusivity in their job. Everything can be given a valuation in the end. Do you think that has stopped immigrant workers from competing from local labour, even though local workers can claim to have "better knowledge" of the local society? And given that NS men earn a lot less, it's so much cheaper for them to hire NS men. And all that, even though MINDEF takes up the largest budget allocation of all the ministries.
you are missing the whole point. Defence is important to Singapore. Do you think we are able to do so well and punch above our weight in the international community in the absence of a credible defence force? The defence budget is necessary and important as it lays the foundation for all other national architectures.

It is precisely because many people do not fancy the idea of taking up arms that it is necessary to provide competitive renumeration to attract and retain talents.

Defence is also not something that you can outsource. So you should not bring in the issue of FTs in this context. Just look back at WWII for the best example of our outsourced defences, which did not last a week.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 48 01-07-2020 03:43 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
477 Replies, 289,463 Views
Working in a bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
531 Replies, 343,845 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
577 Replies, 459,434 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,740 Replies, 7,498,322 Views
Can share your your car... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 14,860 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,942 Replies, 1,464,788 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
86 Replies, 73,298 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,294 Replies, 653,321 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
176 Replies, 69,463 Views
Grab Finance Graduate Programme... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 2,354 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,119 Replies, 1,331,882 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
519 Replies, 297,289 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
248 Replies, 107,021 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,852 Replies, 969,694 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,385 Replies, 4,843,164 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,209 Replies, 2,599,253 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,786 Replies, 4,421,784 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,390 Replies, 609,164 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,953 Replies, 1,815,136 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
296 Replies, 113,189 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
140 Replies, 101,663 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
354 Replies, 112,580 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 154,081 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,111 Replies, 273,517 Views
JTC (Jurong Town Corporation) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 40,457 Views
IB Salaries in SG (BBs and EBs...
0 Replies, 147 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,442 Replies, 1,400,301 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,073 Replies, 2,582,139 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
209 Replies, 172,571 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
106 Replies, 139,408 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2