Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/711-jobless-graduates-should-consider-singapore-armed-forces.html)

DP-- 11-06-2009 07:29 PM

Interesting and sounds elitist, but what is a 'top' uni? You're a scholar? The country does not thrive on scholars alone.

to axe-- 11-06-2009 07:59 PM

The term scholar has two definitions, check it out. In Singapore, it largely refers to the scholarship system by which the state inducts the best into their fold. In the dictionary, a scholar is also "one engaged in the pursuits of learning; a learned person; one versed in any branch, or in many branches, of knowledge; a person of high literary or scientific attainments; a savant. --Shak. Locke."

There are a lot of graduates and undergraduates from top universities who think that these people are bumpkins. It's nice that so many of them sound so 'surprised' and have their heads in the sand. Like you? Have a nice evening. :)

to axe-- 11-06-2009 08:01 PM

Oh, the NTU bumpkin above who got rejected over 5 times is perfect example. he's just one of the 15,000 of them....savour for yourself. toodles.

DP-- 11-06-2009 08:15 PM

Thought in this context where we're talking abt. farmers, u'd be the opposite- scholar, one of those state-sponsored to study in the so-called top unis.
In the real world, folks like u don't impress us at all. There are many of your type in organisations that failed big time. Have glib tongue the very most. Thought u have an axe to grind with the local u folks like us but u are just pure snob.
My head is very above ground and my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

Haha, have pleasant dreams and don't be haunted by the farmers who are many and may one day be your Boss.

running 13-06-2009 07:51 PM

i hope this is not drifting too far, but what are DXOs paid at mindef?

bjhchong 14-06-2009 02:46 PM

Who wants to be on standby 24/7?

Major aint a very big deal in our arms forces... it's almost equivalent to a senior administrator outside.

My 2 cents worth...

Reservist 19-06-2009 10:21 PM

SAF is great. Every incamp training I look at what the regulars do and relate to their salaries, I cant think of that many comparable jobs in the private sector with as high a pay and as little to do.

http://www.salary.sg/2009/jobless-gr.../#comment-5048

nsman 20-06-2009 02:33 PM

Regulars earn a lot for what they are doing. Just ask any male citizen. Moreover, have you heard of retrenchments in SAF? Even after retiring from service, many of them get a comfortable second career is government agencies like DSTA and GLCs like ST.

If you don't mind the job and whatever "stigma" you may face, I'd say signing on with the armed forces may be a very good choice indeed.

bjhchong 28-06-2009 08:07 PM

2nd careers: I guess you are referring to the commisioned ocifers bah... i come to find out that some of the non-coms i know worked in ST (only, period) (for those who can make it)... Most of them end up as security guards... the COs i know who are looking for 2nd careers will need to be quite "high up" (typically > Majors) & are typically scholars... but COs do stand a significantly greater chance at it lah...

I believe I should re-iterate what somebody said somewhere in this forum lah: 不进则退, i tink watever u do, if stop rite there & be complacent, bet ur ass on somebody eating up your lunch for you...

quek 29-06-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhchong (Post 4026)
2nd careers: I guess you are referring to the commisioned ocifers bah... i come to find out that some of the non-coms i know worked in ST (only, period) (for those who can make it)... Most of them end up as security guards... the COs i know who are looking for 2nd careers will need to be quite "high up" (typically > Majors) & are typically scholars... but COs do stand a significantly greater chance at it lah...

I believe I should re-iterate what somebody said somewhere in this forum lah: 不进则退, i tink watever u do, if stop rite there & be complacent, bet ur ass on somebody eating up your lunch for you...

Haha I like the word "ocifer". Reminds me of the good old days as men.

Is it really that bad that the warrant officers or sergeants end up as security guards? I'd rather go drive a taxi.