Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Question about Risk Management Job (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7089-question-about-risk-management-job.html)

fashynisty 13-04-2016 02:12 AM

Question about Risk Management Job

Hello everybody,

I am a fresh graduate with a degree in economics and finance looking for credit/market risk analysis position. But after searching for weeks, I realized they don't usually take fresh grad as a start.

I want to know is there any other job positions to take up first and learn the foundations of risk before breaking into the risk department in the future? Or any other ways to get into it. Hope you guys will be able to give some advices. Thank you very much.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 83414)
But after searching for weeks, I realized they don't usually take fresh grad as a start.

They do - you just aren't what they are looking for.

fashynisty 13-04-2016 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83416)
They do - you just aren't what they are looking for.

U know about what other positions I could take up that will eventually lead up to risk management prospect in the future?

Unregistered 13-04-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 83418)
U know about what other positions I could take up that will eventually lead up to risk management prospect in the future?

There are openings in Group Risk Management under most of the local/international graduate banking programmes. If you are familiar with risk modelling (Actuary) you should be looking at insurers. They are all out there you just need to find them.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 09:43 AM

Door want to do credit on the business side (front office) or on the risk mgt/quantitative side (middle office)?

Unregistered 13-04-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 83414)
Hello everybody,

I am a fresh graduate with a degree in economics and finance looking for credit/market risk analysis position. But after searching for weeks, I realized they don't usually take fresh grad as a start.

I want to know is there any other job positions to take up first and learn the foundations of risk before breaking into the risk department in the future? Or any other ways to get into it. Hope you guys will be able to give some advices. Thank you very much.

For banking side you already miss the bus. People already network and chalk up internship during studies, you graduate then ask means no hope already.

Your next best alternative is to go for risk positions in insurance, corporate finance in big co or boutique mgt consultancies.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83428)
Door want to do credit on the business side (front office) or on the risk mgt/quantitative side (middle office)?

I want to do Risk mgt/quantitative side

Unregistered 13-04-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83580)
I want to do Risk mgt/quantitative side

Not all middle-office risk functions are quantitative in nature though..and even then these tend to be filled mainly by ppl with PhDs or Masters in quantitative fields, though sometimes they may take in fresh grads with a strong quant background. This would include areas such as counterparty credit risk modelling & economic capital modellingetc. Stress testing is somewhat less quant, though some form of econometric modelling is usually required (depending on the approach the bank adopts).

Many of the roles however, in the context of a commercial bank, would be management or regulatory reporting, portfolio monitoring, policy, credit risk systems etc. which do not require a quant background. Often for these roles, banks are more open to hiring fresh grads. A possibility is to get hired into one of these roles and try for a transfer to a more quant role down the line, though I think some of these other more qualitative roles could be interesting in their own right...

Unregistered 22-04-2016 11:23 PM

Hi, I have similar interest as well, just that I am more for credit risk. It appears they do hire ppl who were previously credit analysts for a few years. However, I've tried searching for firms hiring fresh graduates for credit analysts but none sadly. What are other roles (contract or not) are there that can eventually lead to credit risk roles? Thank you!

noobieguy 23-04-2016 10:22 AM

actually companies will not hired fresh grad to do risk management job.
risk need to have experiences in relevant areas.

there are still some risk position though but not those big MNC companies definitely.

fashynisty 26-04-2016 06:22 PM

I was offered an interview by Maybank for this Credit Executive (Retail Credit) position. Want to ask if this job scope has got prospect to credit risk analyst in the future?

"You will be responsible for preparation for credit review and risk assessment analysis of various types of lending proposals for our clients. You will ensure credit quality and its compliance with credit policy and lending guidelines."

Unregistered 26-04-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 84469)
I was offered an interview by Maybank for this Credit Executive (Retail Credit) position. Want to ask if this job scope has got prospect to credit risk analyst in the future?

"You will be responsible for preparation for credit review and risk assessment analysis of various types of lending proposals for our clients. You will ensure credit quality and its compliance with credit policy and lending guidelines."

Just fancy wording to describe ticking off SOP checklist and documentation. Maybank probably even worse than our 3 local banks.

fashynisty 26-04-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84483)
Just fancy wording to describe ticking off SOP checklist and documentation. Maybank probably even worse than our 3 local banks.

Shag...This job got prospect to become credit risk analyst in the future? Job market very bad now don't know should take up this job or not :(

noobieguy 26-04-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 84485)
Shag...This job got prospect to become credit risk analyst in the future? Job market very bad now don't know should take up this job or not :(

hello dude.. offered interview only leh!! also not offer you position..

wait till they offer you this position then say la..

there many ppl out there want the job..

Unregistered 26-04-2016 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobieguy (Post 84488)

Some people really know how to count chickens before they hatch. Haven't even attended first round interview already thinking "should take up this job or not". Talks as if he's got a few competing offers. ROFL

fashynisty 26-04-2016 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobieguy (Post 84488)

Haha okok sorry bro! i put it in wrong words my bad.

Unregistered 27-04-2016 12:09 AM

TS: Not sure why this obsession to do risk management in a bank. Seeing that you don't even seem to know what a Credit Executive in retail banking does, it sounds like you have no idea about the banking industry in the first place.

You also never mention what your academic qualifications are except that you studied economics and finance, so I assume they are probably average at best. My advice to you is to cast your net wide and apply for as many jobs as you can. You are just wasting precious time by limiting your options that early and chances are it's only going to get tougher for you as most employers dislike people who cannot find a job too long.

fashynisty 27-04-2016 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84494)
TS: Not sure why this obsession to do risk management in a bank. Seeing that you don't even seem to know what a Credit Executive in retail banking does, it sounds like you have no idea about the banking industry in the first place.

You also never mention what your academic qualifications are except that you studied economics and finance, so I assume they are probably average at best. My advice to you is to cast your net wide and apply for as many jobs as you can. You are just wasting precious time by limiting your options that early and chances are it's only going to get tougher for you as most employers dislike people who cannot find a job too long.

Yes, I don't know mostly about banking industry in the first place that's why i ask around here. Thank you for your advice, appreciate much.

Unregistered 27-04-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 84496)
Yes, I don't know mostly about banking industry in the first place that's why i ask around here. Thank you for your advice, appreciate much.

That's the main problem with many freshies like you - it is TOO LATE to wait until graduation then start asking online for help in getting good jobs in banking. This sort of take it easy mentality might work for some industries, but most people know that for popular jobs in banking you have to start working on it from your first year in university.

You are late in the game already. If your degree is average honors from a local uni, start applying for BO and operations jobs in large numbers and maybe some of it will stick.

If your degree is private type, then you are probably game over even for most BO jobs, the best you can hope for is general sales in consumer/corporate banking.

That's the reality. Face it and don't further compound your unemployment by insisting on only applying for banking risk management jobs.

Unregistered 27-04-2016 03:58 PM

what's the difference between a credit analyst in consumer or corporate banking and the risk analyst you guys are referring to?

Unregistered 27-04-2016 05:17 PM

"I was offered an interview by Maybank for this Credit Executive (Retail Credit) position. Want to ask if this job scope has got prospect to credit risk analyst in the future?

I'm on the S & T desk and it is pretty quiet today. All waiting for Yellen to speak the magic words. Anyway to answer your question, credit executive is just the guy who does credit review for new or existing bilateral/syndication.

You will enjoy the job if you can write well and have a thing for looking at financial reports.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84545)
"I was offered an interview by Maybank for this Credit Executive (Retail Credit) position. Want to ask if this job scope has got prospect to credit risk analyst in the future?

I'm on the S & T desk and it is pretty quiet today. All waiting for Yellen to speak the magic words. Anyway to answer your question, credit executive is just the guy who does credit review for new or existing bilateral/syndication.

You will enjoy the job if you can write well and have a thing for looking at financial reports.

Retail credit does not look at financial reports often.

Canberra 28-04-2016 12:23 AM

Hi Freshie,

What some folks here are speaking the truth albeit harsh words. You're a fresh grad without experiences and banks can't afford to hire you. Few reasons; too expensive, demand too much, lack of experience, cannot seat still and follow orders, challenging authorities etc.

Start from commercial banking first, maybe sales role then internal hop or get out to other institutions, best is head-huntered!

fashynisty 28-04-2016 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84574)
Retail credit does not look at financial reports often.

Hi there! Care to share what does retail credit look at often? Would love to know more thanks!

fashynisty 28-04-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canberra (Post 84576)
Hi Freshie,

What some folks here are speaking the truth albeit harsh words. You're a fresh grad without experiences and banks can't afford to hire you. Few reasons; too expensive, demand too much, lack of experience, cannot seat still and follow orders, challenging authorities etc.

Start from commercial banking first, maybe sales role then internal hop or get out to other institutions, best is head-huntered!

Hi! I do understand where are they coming from even though it's harsh, at least I learnt something from it. Not like one of them who only knows how to talk about counting chickens and hatching eggs without not giving any relevant advices.

Anyway I will heed your advices and continue to ask around to gain more insights, thanks a lot for your time.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 84591)
Hi there! Care to share what does retail credit look at often? Would love to know more thanks!

Basically you check the basics like credit files, existing loans/mortgages, delinquency, income statements etc. Occasionally if someone is pledging company shares as collateral then you need to get the financial statements, but the job is not to assess but ensure proper documentation and system entry for relevant department for further comment.

This is pretty much a paper work driven administrative job. Every bank will have a standard list of documentation and checklist required depending on the type of lending products and loan amounts. The job is to solicit and document the required info and ensure compliance before giving the go ahead.

Most cases are simple straight forward follow the rules, sometimes you get a few cases borderline or outside SOP then escalate to correct channel and wait for further instructions.

From a certain POV you can call this risk management as well, but it's considered very low level and transactional sort of risk management. Think of your teller/relationship manager at your UOB branch, technically she is also a banker, but it's not the "right" kind that most people are referring to.

Canberra 28-04-2016 04:20 PM

Best Credit Repair Defense Mechanisms | Credit Control
Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 84592)
Hi! I do understand where are they coming from even though it's harsh, at least I learnt something from it. Not like one of them who only knows how to talk about counting chickens and hatching eggs without not giving any relevant advices.

Anyway I will heed your advices and continue to ask around to gain more insights, thanks a lot for your time.

Hi,

Firstly, I cannot afford an advice but may share my opinions. Only the respective banking HR function can provide advisory services. The world is cruel and we are elated that some forum members are willing to expose instead of sweet talking or mockery.

Retail credit positions normally do TM on a remediation work but some folks prefer to call it operational aspects, which means the same thing. The typical mundane collection of documents (not limited to the above post), liaising with internal and cross-border rm etc., attending second tier meeting (instructions to be passed down after a long chain of workers) and more. No voice here just do it.

And yes, you will report to the main "Retail Credit" team. What?! Yes, the ones who liaise with MAS etc. Your potential may be splilt up like going to risk modelling, quant stats or o advisory if you are deemed fit. A detour to MAS or likewise similar firms can secure better chances.

A small speck of dust and wish you the best. There are simply so much more than 2-3 pages won't suffice.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canberra (Post 84618)
[url=://creditrepairex.com/best-credit-repair-defense-mechanisms]Best Credit Repair Defense Mechanisms | Credit Control[/

Hi,

Firstly, I cannot afford an advice but may share my opinions. Only the respective banking HR function can provide advisory services. The world is cruel and we are elated that some forum members are willing to expose instead of sweet talking or mockery.

Retail credit positions normally do TM on a remediation work but some folks prefer to call it operational aspects, which means the same thing. The typical mundane collection of documents (not limited to the above post), liaising with internal and cross-border rm etc., attending second tier meeting (instructions to be passed down after a long chain of workers) and more. No voice here just do it.

And yes, you will report to the main "Retail Credit" team. What?! Yes, the ones who liaise with MAS etc. Your potential may be splilt up like going to risk modelling, quant stats or o advisory if you are deemed fit. A detour to MAS or likewise similar firms can secure better chances.

A small speck of dust and wish you the best. There are simply so much more than 2-3 pages won't suffice.

Probably true for local banks, but as TS interview is with Maybank I don't think they have such a robust process framework. From what I know it's quite disorganized and chaotic over there, so although it's a transactional and operational work, it might be very frustrating due to poor process and systems design and high staff turnover.

Unregistered 25-03-2018 05:24 PM

What is the pay and progression that one can expect for such roles? Market risk reporting etc.
I assume a local uní fresh grad can get into bank with starting pay above 3.5k for such roles right?

sweetlovet 02-05-2020 01:27 PM

Hi, can you share with me how the interview goes?

sweetlovet 02-05-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 84469)

Hi, can you share with me how is the interview like? What kind of qn they ask?