Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Question about Risk Management Job (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7089-question-about-risk-management-job.html)

fashynisty 13-04-2016 02:12 AM

Question about Risk Management Job

Hello everybody,

I am a fresh graduate with a degree in economics and finance looking for credit/market risk analysis position. But after searching for weeks, I realized they don't usually take fresh grad as a start.

I want to know is there any other job positions to take up first and learn the foundations of risk before breaking into the risk department in the future? Or any other ways to get into it. Hope you guys will be able to give some advices. Thank you very much.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 83414)
But after searching for weeks, I realized they don't usually take fresh grad as a start.

They do - you just aren't what they are looking for.

fashynisty 13-04-2016 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83416)
They do - you just aren't what they are looking for.

U know about what other positions I could take up that will eventually lead up to risk management prospect in the future?

Unregistered 13-04-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 83418)
U know about what other positions I could take up that will eventually lead up to risk management prospect in the future?

There are openings in Group Risk Management under most of the local/international graduate banking programmes. If you are familiar with risk modelling (Actuary) you should be looking at insurers. They are all out there you just need to find them.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 09:43 AM

Door want to do credit on the business side (front office) or on the risk mgt/quantitative side (middle office)?

Unregistered 13-04-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashynisty (Post 83414)
Hello everybody,

I am a fresh graduate with a degree in economics and finance looking for credit/market risk analysis position. But after searching for weeks, I realized they don't usually take fresh grad as a start.

I want to know is there any other job positions to take up first and learn the foundations of risk before breaking into the risk department in the future? Or any other ways to get into it. Hope you guys will be able to give some advices. Thank you very much.

For banking side you already miss the bus. People already network and chalk up internship during studies, you graduate then ask means no hope already.

Your next best alternative is to go for risk positions in insurance, corporate finance in big co or boutique mgt consultancies.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83428)
Door want to do credit on the business side (front office) or on the risk mgt/quantitative side (middle office)?

I want to do Risk mgt/quantitative side

Unregistered 13-04-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83580)
I want to do Risk mgt/quantitative side

Not all middle-office risk functions are quantitative in nature though..and even then these tend to be filled mainly by ppl with PhDs or Masters in quantitative fields, though sometimes they may take in fresh grads with a strong quant background. This would include areas such as counterparty credit risk modelling & economic capital modellingetc. Stress testing is somewhat less quant, though some form of econometric modelling is usually required (depending on the approach the bank adopts).

Many of the roles however, in the context of a commercial bank, would be management or regulatory reporting, portfolio monitoring, policy, credit risk systems etc. which do not require a quant background. Often for these roles, banks are more open to hiring fresh grads. A possibility is to get hired into one of these roles and try for a transfer to a more quant role down the line, though I think some of these other more qualitative roles could be interesting in their own right...

Unregistered 22-04-2016 11:23 PM

Hi, I have similar interest as well, just that I am more for credit risk. It appears they do hire ppl who were previously credit analysts for a few years. However, I've tried searching for firms hiring fresh graduates for credit analysts but none sadly. What are other roles (contract or not) are there that can eventually lead to credit risk roles? Thank you!

noobieguy 23-04-2016 10:22 AM

actually companies will not hired fresh grad to do risk management job.
risk need to have experiences in relevant areas.

there are still some risk position though but not those big MNC companies definitely.