Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare Your Household Income 2009 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/693-compare-your-household-income-2009-a.html)

davidtan 18-06-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husky (Post 3819)
I am talking about combined income for households applying for flat. The current ceiling if 8K combined household income which I feel is a bit on the low side given that more than 30% of households are earning more than 8k.

My fiancee and I fall into the 8-10k income range. Under current regulations we are not able to apply for new flats. However if you do the maths, going private is a bit of a stretch. Hence my fustration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John (Post 3820)
Assuming no bonus, a 4k monthly (hence 48k annual) will put the person at "higher than 45.8% of all resident taxpayers."

So if both husband and wife make 4k, there are more than 50% households earning more than 8k. And I think the Iras data (and the above mentioned comparison tool) does not even include the people earning below 20k/year.

John and Husky, you may have made a mistake. I'm not sure about the tool that compares household income, but the tool that compares annual income actually took data from IRAS and only included people who earned more than 20k pa. If the tool says you're "higher than 45.8%", you are only higher than 45.8% in that group. If you include all those who earned below 20k and all those who did not even file income tax, the figure will be more than 45.8%, which means much lesser than 50% households (as you claimed) earn more than 8k. I suspect at 8k, the husband and wife may stand at around 70-80% of all people in Singapore.

Husky 18-06-2009 10:33 AM

Hi David,

very good point. I did recall HDB saying the percentage of households earning more that 8k (in 2008) is at 20%. According to them MAJORITY (80%) of households are still eligible for HDB loans. Hence there is no need to review the income celiing which was last changed in 1999.

Back in 1999, the percentage of households with income more than 8k was at 10%. If we look at it from another angle, the proportion of people INELIGIBLE for HDB loans has DOUBLED from 10% to 20%. Hence I believe I still have a strong case to argue for.

Nevertheless, very good point. Something to take note of if I am going to write in to HDB. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtan (Post 3897)
John and Husky, you may have made a mistake. I'm not sure about the tool that compares household income, but the tool that compares annual income actually took data from IRAS and only included people who earned more than 20k pa. If the tool says you're "higher than 45.8%", you are only higher than 45.8% in that group. If you include all those who earned below 20k and all those who did not even file income tax, the figure will be more than 45.8%, which means much lesser than 50% households (as you claimed) earn more than 8k. I suspect at 8k, the husband and wife may stand at around 70-80% of all people in Singapore.

quek 18-06-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidtan (Post 3897)

I remember reading somewhere that a majority of the working population do not pay taxes, so yes, 70-80% may be a good estimate. I hope to see official figures though.

Z-- 07-07-2009 01:58 PM

A NUS Master degree holder (Engineering) with 7 years exp, basic monthly pay $3000 , How you rate this ?

low 07-07-2009 01:59 PM

$3k is very low for someone with 7 years experience. A cab driver earns more.

Z-- 07-07-2009 02:00 PM

You all talking about 100K, 200K…etc., but when we look in to the job websites the pay offer for most of the job is below 4K (not for mangers).

And you check Jobstreet salary report, the salary for most of the engineers are 3K to 3.8 K only. they come out those salary figures from their own data base which is key in by every job seekers, this should be quiet accurate also.

Then how you guys talking about 100K so easily ??

low 07-07-2009 02:00 PM

When the job market is better, you should try to jump every 2 years. Jump to MNCs.

Husky 07-07-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-- (Post 4094)
You all talking about 100K, 200K…etc., but when we look in to the job websites the pay offer for most of the job is below 4K (not for mangers).

And you check Jobstreet salary report, the salary for most of the engineers are 3K to 3.8 K only. they come out those salary figures from their own data base which is key in by every job seekers, this should be quiet accurate also.

Then how you guys talking about 100K so easily ??

I believe the data is skewed... Most engineers I know with a local degree (NUS/NTU) and say 5 years exp are getting about $3.5-4?

meng 07-07-2009 07:42 PM

3K pm? Isnt that what the Govt is paying fresh grads with a good honours?

Husky 08-07-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meng (Post 4106)
3K pm? Isnt that what the Govt is paying fresh grads with a good honours?

Imagine this hypothetical scenario,

Graduating with a honours degree from NUS in 2004. Lands a job paying $2.5k.(mean starting salary of graduates in 2004)

Over the years, annual increment of 5-10% yearly. Ends up at about $3500 in early 2009. Company announces pay cut of 10% in Mar 2009, back to $3150?

poor 28-07-2009 03:13 PM

Daneil, this is household statistic from database. we can't tell the average of each individual. it is for each house, *household with at least 1 working person.

in fact from the report, category at 2.5k is the highest in Singapore of total of 12.2%

unemployed 29-07-2009 04:42 PM

This is talking about combined income of all family members under one roof, not about individual income.

As for avp’s package, I think it’s quite different for local and foreign banks.

So to be accurate, we should add all monthly income and bonuses of all members and divide by 12.

Goondo 03-08-2009 11:28 AM

Alamak. My pay has been reducing year by year since 2007. Doing project delivery

My subordinates cannot tahan the stress, quit and become my customers. Alamak, regret never takan them. Cause now they takan me :(

Think my only way to make more money is to work for MNC and preferably doing sales or pre-sales related jobs. Unfortunately they won't want me.

The will like people with better domain knowledge and inside contacts (like those of my Ex subordinates). Fark the vendor.

CarSalesMan 05-08-2009 04:31 AM

salary

i dun have even an o level cert, sell car for 5 years, every month about 10k to 20k.
i sell average about 20 cars per mth. each car comm about 1000 to 2000.
20k is declare to IRAS. i also make from trade in car 1000 to 2000 per transaction. actual income about 30k:D

glenndanker 09-09-2009 09:26 AM

There is a saying, compare leads no where, it only kills you. $$$$ sense is something we need to acquire......