Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Structured Programme VS Direct Hire (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6859-structured-programme-vs-direct-hire.html)

Unregistered 14-03-2016 07:28 PM

I was accepted into a prestigious structured program for an MNC.

I don't understand why you think that graduating in December means that you're not entitled to apply or be a part of these programs. I graduated in December along with a number of my batch mates who got into investment banking, trading, the list goes on. Some of them also start in July, others slightly earlier.

The long story short is this - If you are good, and if you have applied before the application deadline, graduating in December doesn't disadvantage you from any MAP or structured grad program application.

noobieguy 14-03-2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81330)
I was accepted into a prestigious structured program for an MNC.

I don't understand why you think that graduating in December means that you're not entitled to apply or be a part of these programs. I graduated in December along with a number of my batch mates who got into investment banking, trading, the list goes on. Some of them also start in July, others slightly earlier.

The long story short is this - If you are good, and if you have applied before the application deadline, graduating in December doesn't disadvantage you from any MAP or structured grad program application.

so which structure programme accept dec intake?

so far from what i know all intake only in july per year..

Unregistered 15-03-2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobieguy (Post 81343)
so which structure programme accept dec intake?

so far from what i know all intake only in july per year..

They start mostly in July but you can wait out the 6 months doing whatever other work you might be interested in.

Unregistered 15-03-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81348)
They start mostly in July but you can wait out the 6 months doing whatever other work you might be interested in.

Truth hurts, but what the above poster mentioned is right.

Some employers will even allow you to start working in the company early (in other positions) till your MA/grad programme starts in July.

Unregistered 15-03-2016 03:46 PM

Hi TS, just sharing with you some of my thoughts here, I was a Dec graduate who entered a program in July. Before that I did part time jobs.

The key decisions lies in what are your current priorities now - What is the kind of career you want? Are you urgently in need to repay your tuition loan?

Programs - For your graduating cycle, there are some programs which you can apply in Sem 1 and get the offer by Nov/Dec. Programs are highly sought after because of them being packaged well with promise of rotations and fast track. Well in many cases this can be true, do not be disillusioned that you will have an "easy life" being in a program. If you are complacent and do not perform as well, chances are your career will progress like a direct hire. Do not blindly rush into a program just because of its prestige, consider clearly what you want to do. As another previous poster has mentioned, it is indeed not statistically favorable on how many people get into programs.

Direct hire - If you are unable to tank the living costs for six months of unemployment (should you get into a program), then perhaps direct hire should be your consideration. You can always start work first, if you decide that a program is truly what you want, you can apply to a program later. Many programs allow fresh grads with less than two years working experience to enter.

You mentioned that you are interning at an oil/gas MNC, why not take the chance to speak to your colleagues/HR and find out hows their typical hiring process like? Ask for a recommendation letter from your supervisor before you leave, and establish contacts with your colleagues.

Moving forward to the current and future sems before you graduate, attend career talks for companies/roles you think you might be interested in, no harm going to listen and networking with the people from the company. Even if you're alone. Should it be possible, reach out to your career officer for advice too. Look at the opportunities and carefully consider what are your priorities.

Wishing you all the best!