Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career at Age 40s

Old 10-03-2016, 03:01 PM

前路茫茫 is on a distinguished road
Default Career at Age 40s

Hi bro and sis here,

Let me introduce my self, im 40yo, male, work as a sales engineer @ monthly income 3.6K, with 2 kids @ 3 and 6yo,
I a degree holder, i obtain my degree course from Kaplan, (University of south Australlia) Bachelor in MEchanical Engineering,
My question is, currently im thinking wanted to quit from here, and find another job( such as sales manager) with the expected salary is above 4k..
But sometimes i think back at the age of 40, the employer will still offer me that what i wanted ? such as position and salary ?
Currently the job market is that really bad for the middle age man like me ?
I see some of my friend , around same age with me, they already work for the company over 10 years and a manager position, considered already step into comfort zone..
But i still struggling in this company with this pay and no cant climb up to managerial position.
Anyonr can give me some advised ? or you has encountered this before ? (same as my situation )
can share how you deal with it ?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 前路茫茫 View Post
Hi bro and sis here,

Let me introduce my self, im 40yo, male, work as a sales engineer @ monthly income 3.6K, with 2 kids @ 3 and 6yo,
I a degree holder, i obtain my degree course from Kaplan, (University of south Australlia) Bachelor in MEchanical Engineering,
My question is, currently im thinking wanted to quit from here, and find another job( such as sales manager) with the expected salary is above 4k..
But sometimes i think back at the age of 40, the employer will still offer me that what i wanted ? such as position and salary ?
I see some of my friend , around same age with me, they already work for the company over 10 years and a manager position, considered already step into comfort zone..
But i still struggling in this company with this pay and no cant climb up to managerial position.
Anyonr can give me some advised ? or you has encountered this before ? (same as my situation )
Good luck in saving up for your retirement. Continue to work till 67.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi bro and sis here,

What are your skillsets? Do you have extensive experience leading sizable sales team? Do you have some sort of niche network and industry insights that companies are willing to pay for?

It is a bit hard to just ask another company to pay your more and give you a managerial role if you don't have the requisites. There are many youngsters with a few years sales experience willing to take 2k+, what do you bring to the table these youngsters don't?

When you can answer then you will know the answer. As always especially at your age where keeping the current job might be challenging already, always remember do not quit until you get a job. Once you are unemployed, it's sibei jialat.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi bro and sis here,

Good luck to you.

I am also in my 40s. Applied 300 jobs only a handful of interviews. Until now no news. Pmets are facing a really hard time in this current economy. I suggest you keep your job with u until u find a really solid company.

And dun bother applying govt jobs, its even more challenging to get in unless you are a local grad with gd merits.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Unregistered

I agree with the rest, economic is not doing very well better to keep your current job until you sign the job offer with another company, no harm sending resume be it Pte or Govt, you will never know. I'm just few years younger than you and also has this worry but luckily I found a cs job, many ppl do say cs job not that great except pay but which job is easy, even you start a business also not easy. Just take it one step at a time and progress from there, don't be shy to ask question even that person is younger than you. Learning is a life time journey.

Good luck in your future endeavour
Old 11-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree with the rest, economic is not doing very well better to keep your current job until you sign the job offer with another company, no harm sending resume be it Pte or Govt, you will never know. I'm just few years younger than you and also has this worry but luckily I found a cs job, many ppl do say cs job not that great except pay but which job is easy, even you start a business also not easy. Just take it one step at a time and progress from there, don't be shy to ask question even that person is younger than you. Learning is a life time journey.

Good luck in your future endeavour
Congrats to u on finding a CS job. May I know if u r a local grad? which industry may i ask? Are you moving from a pte to cs? any downgrade in salary, responsibilities (or title)?

Jus my opinion to TS, dun take it so hard and then look towards starting your own business in this current economy. The situation is brutal at the moment. Unless you have seed funding or some sort of financial boost/assistance, a mid career (40s age group) biz startup is most certainly to wipe out your savings with limited years to bounce back in 10 years time.

All the best guys/gals.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:58 AM
what

u are 40, u got a degree from unisa (quite reputable uni), and you are paid the same salary as a uni fresh grad (3.6k is the average or a little higher than average this year)?

???
Old 11-03-2016, 12:07 PM

前路茫茫 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by what View Post
u are 40, u got a degree from unisa (quite reputable uni), and you are paid the same salary as a uni fresh grad (3.6k is the average or a little higher than average this year)?

???
Yup,

My paid is 3.6k
Old 11-03-2016, 12:34 PM

Blueberry is on a distinguished road

Just keep sending resumes. In my industry, those 40s still resigning and jumping into another company. Citing my ex colleague as an example, single mother with a teenage daughter, when she came to our company, she was already about 45 years old? worked 2 or 3 months not happy, resigned and jump to another company. So really depends on your industry you are working in as well. Bottomline is still , secure a job first before you tender. Your reasons for leaving you current job are very valid.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Just keep sending resumes. In my industry, those 40s still resigning and jumping into another company. Citing my ex colleague as an example, single mother with a teenage daughter, when she came to our company, she was already about 45 years old? worked 2 or 3 months not happy, resigned and jump to another company. So really depends on your industry you are working in as well. Bottomline is still , secure a job first before you tender. Your reasons for leaving you current job are very valid.
You are missing TS point totally. Jumping around is easy especially if you just mass sending CVs without bothering about job and pay development.

TS wants to make 2 major leaps: 1) From a salesman to a manager leading a team 2) A salary increase that commensurate this much bigger responsibility.

This sort of jump at his age is nowhere as easy as you depict. I agree with finding a job before quitting though.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app