Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Commission from overseas taxable? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6760-commission-overseas-taxable.html)

dann 28-02-2016 12:10 PM

Commission from overseas taxable?

I have a day job and is looking forward to create a better life for my family. am starting to provide consultation services to an oversea company which will in turn pay me service fee/commission to my personal bank account in SG.

Will this income be taxable? Tried to lookup online and there is a directive "Tax Exemption for Foreign-Sourced Income" stating it is not taxable. somehow feels that it is not simple, maybe have to hit many criteria to be eligible?

Seeking advise from those who have experience this before.

Unregistered 28-02-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 80565)
I have a day job and is looking forward to create a better life for my family. am starting to provide consultation services to an oversea company which will in turn pay me service fee/commission to my personal bank account in SG.

Will this income be taxable? Tried to lookup online and there is a directive "Tax Exemption for Foreign-Sourced Income" stating it is not taxable. somehow feels that it is not simple, maybe have to hit many criteria to be eligible?

u shouldnt be asking this sort of impt thing online. dun be a cheapskate - hire a proper cross border tax consultant. tax issues esp transnational type is not simple straight forward yes-no google answer.

u might end up doing the wrong thing for many years only to get caught in an audit and have to pay back everything with interest and penalties. i kena from aussie ato few years ago and was lucky the total amount was not too big and able to take short term loans to tide out.

dann 28-02-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80567)
u shouldnt be asking this sort of impt thing online. dun be a cheapskate - hire a proper cross border tax consultant. tax issues esp transnational type is not simple straight forward yes-no google answer.

u might end up doing the wrong thing for many years only to get caught in an audit and have to pay back everything with interest and penalties. i kena from aussie ato few years ago and was lucky the total amount was not too big and able to take short term loans to tide out.

thanks and appreciate your advice. thing is i would not be making so much that it warrants a proper consultant. just want to be on the correct page of the authority, would go by the necessary channel/methods if need be.

right now as it is only initial stage, am just researching to understand how is the sound way to do this.

Unregistered 28-02-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 80565)

foreign sourced income such as dividends and property are tax exempt sg side because they are already taxed at domicile. i dun think iras is that stupid so easy can escape tax. also the overseas country unlikely just to let co. payout commissions to a foreign contract staff without repercussion.

if really that easy all the companies would have either setup a new shell co. or use an existing overseas subsidiary to simply pay employees in high tax jurisdictions to save on income tax. like above poster say, better to seek professional advice on such things. usually if not too complicated its maybe 1-3k only.