31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp - Page 10 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp

Old 26-02-2016, 12:00 PM

Blueberry is on a distinguished road

On a serious note for the threadstarter, people who go study for PHD, if I am not wrong, those are ppl who hold higher position in their companies and it is not easy to enrol for the PHD studies unless they fulfil the strict pre-requisites. Even when you want to sign up for a Master's Degree in SIM, there may be interviews and you need to pass the interviews before you are accepted. So threadstarter, if you want a stable job with $3k to 5k, start working now. Or else you are wasting more time going round and round regretting and restart again and regretting again and re-start again.

Old 26-02-2016, 12:10 PM

jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
You should start to look for a job of your preferred industry and start working now. This is to gain experience in your preferred industry. No point getting a higher certificate when you do not have the related work experience and you are not even a young student who just graduated from school. You can always do a part-time degree whatsoever. Forget about online courses seriously. I never trust those things unless the courses are for people to take up for leisure. You already mentioned you have lost out so why still continue to waste your time ? 31 years old is not young anymore. Start working now. When you look back some 10 years later, you will be thankful that you managed to woo back the lost time.
yes thanks. i tried applying for entry level jobs in the sectors i like but got no replies. only got replies from scammers, insurance type.

i have the same thoughts as you actually, work, get income, do a pt degree and take a year off to do a masters a few years later. but it seems hard to get an entry level job i like in an industry i wanna work in. work experience in temp jobs in macdonalds or retail will do nothing for my career.

i haven't been back to sg for years now, reading the post helps me understand the psyche of the average joe.

i am getting lots of offers for 2-3k teaching jobs in malaysia, china etc, due to my experience in this industry. i know these jobs will not pay much but they are always there as an option. living in a developing country has challanges but i work 30 hours a week, do a job i like, teach kids i like, got so many friends here, it is a pretty decent lifestyle to be honest.

i got an offer to do a phd. once again, it is good to hear the reasoning of some people here. i am waiting on results for masters applications.

maybe, i will just go for it. and if they say i am too this and that in singapore, then no choice, i will stay in south china or malaysia and market my phd or masters to do research or gain better jobs.

Old 26-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Quote:
On a serious note for the threadstarter, people who go study for PHD, if I am not wrong, those are ppl who hold higher position in their companies and it is not easy to enrol for the PHD studies unless they fulfil the strict pre-requisites. Even when you want to sign up for a Master's Degree in SIM, there may be interviews and you need to pass the interviews before you are accepted. So threadstarter, if you want a stable job with $3k to 5k, start working now. Or else you are wasting more time going round and round regretting and restart again and regretting again and re-start again.
obviously he will go round and round again. end of the day he already decided to get his crashed masters and phd. he just want others to agree with him that his crashed bach and master is as good as the rest. so well, dont bother to give such people advice as he dont need it. end of the day he will start again his argument by stating some brainless attacks; for instance the ntu Senior AD and then post some links or video of whoever had a qualification of a private degree as if he can make it like them. Being a brand ambassador is actually nothing, not a long run and that's for young faces and if you have the luck. if comprehension cmi already still wanna talk so much. just leave him alone and his crashed degree, masters and some claimed top 50/100 phd invites la.

Old 26-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

when you do not receive any replies from the industry for even entry level job, you should know that the people here weren't lying to you about having an online degree and continue pursuing some useless crashed masters and phd will not do any help. Looking at your replies and pointless arguements, i think it is better for you to stay in where you are or go china.
Old 26-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
dear blueberry, my cousin is in his last year in ntu and he also got accepted into ntu's phd, a cond offer. he has no work experience at all.

it is well known that in many top schools in singapore, hong kong, macao, japan, etc, that the locals don't want to do phds. because it is not a career that leads to money, working and doing a masters leads to more money, as you pointed out. you lose out on income and work experience as well when u do a phd.

you will find that the phd students in many top schools, take nus, ntu or whatever, are mostly mainland chinese students, with very few locals.

one just needs a bachelor degree (normally second upper at least), good gre scores, and to demonstrate research ability to get in.

take a look here for nus's current phd students:

M&O - Our Students - PhD & MSc Students

mostly chinese students from 'good universities' in china. only 4/25 are singaporeans. these chinese folks will get their phd and bugger off to the usa or china to work as an assist prof earning 6k usd in the us or 8 or 10k rmb (around 1-2k sgd) in china. very few of them can make it in the usa, most will bugger off back to china and lead a good life there.

very few singaporeans do a phd. most do a masters and then enjoy their 10k a month salary in a bank or mnc.
Old 26-02-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
when you do not receive any replies from the industry for even entry level job, you should know that the people here weren't lying to you about having an online degree and continue pursuing some useless crashed masters and phd will not do any help. Looking at your replies and pointless arguements, i think it is better for you to stay in where you are or go china.
i know the online degree was a mistake, which is what the whole endeavour is about--fixing this mistake by furthering my studies.

i did get a reply for a temp job in a bank today haha. probably get a temp job till i go back to school.

i am not sure if this is my profile i will still get no replies for entry level jobs:

Jialatliao BA online degree, Msc top 100 uni (recently graduated from a top 100 uni, looking for an entry level job to prove my worth, salary is not important, willing to work hard).

hopefully a good qualification or maybe even a jcu one will make it easier la.

Last edited by jiaklatliao; 26-02-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Old 26-02-2016, 02:35 PM

Blueberry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
dear blueberry, my cousin is in his last year in ntu and he also got accepted into ntu's phd, a cond offer. he has no work experience at all.

it is well known that in many top schools in singapore, hong kong, macao, japan, etc, that the locals don't want to do phds. because it is not a career that leads to money, working and doing a masters leads to more money, as you pointed out. you lose out on income and work experience as well when u do a phd.

you will find that the phd students in many top schools, take nus, ntu or whatever, are mostly mainland chinese students, with very few locals.

one just needs a bachelor degree (normally second upper at least), good gre scores, and to demonstrate research ability to get in.

take a look here for nus's current phd students:

M&O - Our Students - PhD & MSc Students

mostly chinese students from 'good universities' in china. only 4/25 are singaporeans. these chinese folks will get their phd and bugger off to the usa or china to work as an assist prof earning 6k usd in the us or 8 or 10k rmb (around 1-2k sgd) in china. very few of them can make it in the usa, most will bugger off back to china and lead a good life there.

very few singaporeans do a phd. most do a masters and then enjoy their 10k a month salary in a bank or mnc.
How old is your cousin ? What is his educational path ? Is SHE/HE doing the SAME THING as you and managed to study PHD ? If not, better not get into the wrong impression that tertiary schools accepts ANY students.

You are trying your luck hopefully to obtain a recognised higher education certificate and then using it to land on a comfortable stable job. If this do not work, you go look for other educational certificates to try your luck again. You are already 31 years old. By the time you realise this and realise that, you will be in your late thirties. Are you hoping to go into teaching as your career ? If not, seriously, you better stop living in your world.

Not to pour cold water on you but there is no need to be so happy over a temp job. Companies are more strict on permanent position applications.
Old 26-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
How old is your cousin ? What is his educational path ? Is SHE/HE doing the SAME THING as you and managed to study PHD ? If not, better not get into the wrong impression that tertiary schools accepts ANY students.

You are trying your luck hopefully to obtain a recognised higher education certificate and then using it to land on a comfortable stable job. If this do not work, you go look for other educational certificates to try your luck again. You are already 31 years old. By the time you realise this and realise that, you will be in your late thirties. Are you hoping to go into teaching as your career ? If not, seriously, you better stop living in your world.

Not to pour cold water on you but there is no need to be so happy over a temp job. Companies are more strict on permanent position applications.
cousin is 25 i think. he is doing his bachelors in ntu after his a levels. i did my bachelors online i dont even have a levels. he got offered to do a ntu phd. i got an offer to do a phd in a top 50 uni as well and was shortlisted by a local uni for an interview as well (when they interview you for a phd, they already accept that you are qualified, the supervisors just want to keng gai with you see if you can get along with their team, talk about research topics, interests, your chance of getting it is about 50%).

i am still waiting for results for other phd/masters applications.

ya isn't the point of studying to prove oneself and to attract employers? if i study further, i hope to bury my online degree, i think i can get entry level jobs in sg and get some of them to bite. hopefully the qualfication can help in faster promotions as well.

well if not, then i will just stay put and work in msia or whereever then, bo bian loh.
Old 26-02-2016, 02:51 PM

technically i do have a btec higher national diploma before my degree and after my o levels la. it is something like a poor man's a level/poly dip. no one in singapore recognises it la as usual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_National_Diploma
Old 26-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

You are just wasting your time mate. He's not interested in what you say. Next thing he will do is start googling or claiming all sorts of people who are lousier than him also make it big so in short he is a superstar meant for greater heights.

He thinks the only reason why he is doing a crappy lousy paying job in Malaysia is because nobody recognises the greatness of his online degrees. Most of us know better.