31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp

Old 24-02-2016, 10:35 AM

jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is completely different from your case of no relevant work experience at all except teaching english in malaysia, no relevant certification (not even a proper accredited diploma) except for an online degree, no professional network in sg at all and a crash course in jcu generic bachelors. As things stand now, a mid career dipoma/nitec with a sim/kaplan/mdis/psb degree is in a better position than you.
yes i understand this. which is why i am trying to further studies to improve my situation and land a stable job to start a family.

i do have an accredited diploma called the btec higher national diploma done online but of course, as with all things in singapore, you will tell me it is not recognised.

so i am trying to go on campus to do some studies.

Old 24-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
okay, explain to me what is the difference between mx13 and mss executive, in terms of career and salary.

the cambridge diploma or 'profesisonal status recognised by cambridge' you refer to is just a 4 months part time diploma that you can do at kaplan for 4k sgd total.

i am just trying to find out the best course to take, either the jcu path or the phd path. just an average man trying to earn some money to start a family and live a stable life.

hong kong is in south china.
do you know that there is a different in obtaining a certification at uni of cambridge and at kaplan? oh gosh! My advice is take none and go back to take a recongised diploma course. if you can state the HK uni name, we can at least see how possible it is for you

Old 24-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
yes i understand this. which is why i am trying to further studies to improve my situation and land a stable job to start a family.

i do have an accredited diploma called the btec higher national diploma done online but of course, as with all things in singapore, you will tell me it is not recognised.

anything can be accredited. today i open a school and provide online course i can also say that it is accreditated because it is link back to the main school and registered with the country. However, the uni i open is not even of any top 100 uni in the world, not to mention it being a well-known one. sees it? the main issue is you need to see which school isit from and how reputable it is in the world? you dont see prestigious university have online degree right? Not only singapore dont recongise it, if you go US, UK, Aussie..i think it dont worth much too.

Old 24-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

What's your interest? So far all I am reading is you want to get an office job in banking or marketing.

Just go get a job related to your interest and then upgrade in areas that are relevant to your chosen career. Best is if your attitude and capabilities are demonstrated, some companies even willing to sponsor further education.

I agree with the rest of the posters here that you shouldn't waste time pursuing dubious certificates. It is better to gain proper work experience followed by relevant education that actually helps, not just buying degree for degree sake.

You already made the mistake of doing online diplomas and degrees which in the end lead to nothing and have to run road to Malaysia to teach English.

In Singapore most people peak their careers in late 30s or 40, you don't really have a lot of time to waste before the age factor sets in.
Old 24-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
okay, explain to me what is the difference between mx13 and mss executive, in terms of career and salary.

the cambridge diploma or 'profesisonal status recognised by cambridge' you refer to is just a 4 months part time diploma that you can do at kaplan for 4k sgd total.

i am just trying to find out the best course to take, either the jcu path or the phd path. just an average man trying to earn some money to start a family and live a stable life.

hong kong is in south china.
fyi, master trainer is not a dip course. It is a professional certification after you attended the required courses and pass it. Before that, you have to first meet the entry requirement for the courses, for instance, academic wise and work experience. Not any dick or henry can just pay 4k to get a professional status certification, if it is so easy, everyone would have got it.

Another issue is for those that got into govt, it is definitely having a proper dip courses or advanced and on top of it having true accreditated certification and relevant network to back them up. looking at singapore now when there is a large pool of people having proper academic certification, you honestly dont stand much chance as a SIM, kaplan full time degree grad will have more chance to land a job then you.

If you are serious about it, i suggest you either go back sg and take a dip course or you see if you can get into at least a SIM. it can land you an office job in the end at least if you do well, salary may not hit 3k if they sees you as a fresh grad. As for teaching, you can join np early childhood dip course, at least start somewhere right now then go headwired thru out. a jcu degree wont land you a teaching job.
Old 24-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

not getting the logic. so ts realise that his online diploma & degree are useless in sg and the solution to all this is to get another short time degree from a uni that is even lower standing than sim???

Old 24-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

Why not drive Uber?

Here's how to get rich in Singapore

1. Buy cheap HDB BTO flat after getting married.
2. Pay off the mortgage.
3. Rent out whole flat.
4. Retire in Malaysia (live in condo and drive car).
Old 24-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

Here is JCU's GES: s://.jcu.edu.sg/student-life/student-support-services/careers-services/graduate-employment-survey

2% work in government.

12% work in education. Please take note that working as a private tuition teacher also counts as working in education.

Average salary is 2k to 3k.

There. That's your future.
Old 24-02-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
anything can be accredited. today i open a school and provide online course i can also say that it is accreditated because it is link back to the main school and registered with the country. However, the uni i open is not even of any top 100 uni in the world, not to mention it being a well-known one. sees it? the main issue is you need to see which school isit from and how reputable it is in the world? you dont see prestigious university have online degree right? Not only singapore dont recongise it, if you go US, UK, Aussie..i think it dont worth much too.
there are many prestigious universities with online degrees. ucl, imperial, manchester, liverpool, new york university, university california berkeley, durham, usc, edinburgh, even oxford have distance courses with some seminar requirements, etc.

i know my degree is not worth much which is why i am furthering my studies.

Top Universities Offering Online Degrees in Business | Top Universities

Top US universities offering online business degrees

1. New York University (NYU)

One of New York City’s leading institutions, New York University (NYU) is currently featured within the 20 top universities worldwide for accounting & finance, business & management and economics & econometrics. In the overall QS World University Rankings, NYU is ranked 41st in the world. While the majority of its FAME programs are still only offered for on-campus students, NYU’s School of Continuing Studies offers various graduate certificates and courses, as well as online master’s degree programs in Human Resources Management and Development (MS), Management and Systems (MS) and Professional Writing (MS).

2. University of Michigan

Placed 23rd in the overall world rankings, the University of Michigan is often labelled the “best of the mid-west”, located in Michigan, US. The Ann Arbor campus remains the main (and most recognized) campus in the University of Michigan system, ranked in the top 30 for all FAME disciplines in our subject rankings. For online degrees, however, it’s worth checking out the University of Michigan-Flint, where options include an online bachelor’s degree in business administration (BBA) and an online master’s degree in accounting (MSA).

3. University of California, Berkeley

The Berkeley Resource Center for Online Education (BRCOE) is the online education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. It offers online master’s degrees as well as blended learning programs, professional certificates, summer courses, extensions and MOOCs. Although full online degrees are so far only offered in the fields of public health and circuit engineering, there are various professional certificate programs in business-related areas such as corporate financial management, marketing and macroeconomics. As well as ranking 27th in the overall world rankings, Berkeley also ranks 7th for economics, 11th for accounting and 12th for business worldwide.

4. University of North Carolina

The University of North Carolina, ranked 62nd in the world and within the top 100 for accounting & finance, is also in this list of top online universities thanks to UNC Online. The site features a number of online business degree programs offered by various universities in North Carolina, including North Carolina State University, which is ranked 388th in the world rankings. As well as the UNC Chapel Hill’s reputed online MBA, UNC online also offers online bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees and certificate programs in a number of specialized areas such as agriculture management.

5. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Just one place behind UNC (63rd) in the world rankings is the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which ranks 47th for accounting & finance and within the top 100 worldwide for both business and economics. The school’s Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning (CITL) combines teaching from other reputed schools in the University of Illinois system, including the Chicago campus (ranked 186th in the world rankings), and offers various online degrees including an online MBA and an online master’s degree in taxation.

6. Carnegie Mellon University

Carnegie Mellon University is placed 65th in the overall world rankings, 50th in the economics ranking, and within the top 100 worldwide for both accounting and business. One of the top online universities, Carnegie gives students the option to study online in a number of formats, including full-time, part-time, online or as a dual degree, across a range of departments, including specialized fields such as the MS in Computational Finance from Carnegie’s Tepper School of Business. See the full list of distance and blended learning programs here.

7. Boston University

BU Online is Boston University’s innovative new distance and blended learning platform, offering various online master’s degree programs across areas such as computing and management, including the MS in Banking & Financial Services Management. Professional certificates, doctoral programs and an undergraduate completion course are also offered. Ranked 78th in the overall world rankings, BU also features among the world’s top 100 for accounting and business, and places 32nd for economics.

Penn State, US8. Pennsylvania State University

Often labeled a ‘public Ivy’, Pennsylvania State University is ranked 112th in the overall world rankings and within the world’s top 100 for both business and economics. The Penn State World Campus makes PSU one of the top online universities, offering a comprehensive choice of online bachelor’s degree and master’s degree programs, as well as associate’s degrees and professional certificates. For prospective FAME students, there are online business degree programs in finance, human resources, public administration, supply chain management and more.

University of Minnesota, US9. University of Minnesota

The University of Minnesota system has launched its Digital Campus, which offers a number of online degree programs across study areas such as public health, computer science and engineering. The school also offers online bachelor’s degrees in areas such as accounting, international business and marketing, as well as professional certificates in applied business. Ranked 119th worldwide, the University of Minnesota is also among the 100 top universities for both accounting and business, and 41st for economics.

University of Southern California, US10. University of Southern California

Ranked 131st in the world rankings and within the top 100 for accounting, business and economics, the University of Southern California claims a place among the top online universities in the US thanks to its USC Online platform. As well as programs across education, computer science and engineering, the school also offers online business degree programs such as the MS in Global Supply Chain Management, taught by USC Marshall School of Business.

Other leading US universities offering online education:

University of California, Irvine (153rd in the world rankings, UCI Online)
University of Florida (192nd in the world rankings, UFOnline)
Indiana Bloomington University (272nd in the world rankings, IU Online)
University of Massachusetts, Amherst (282nd in the world rankings, UMass Online)
Arizona State University (294th in the world rankings, ASU Online)

Top UK universities offering online business degrees

University of Manchester, UK1. The University of Manchester

As well as offering a range of MOOCs, the University of Manchester (ranked 30th in the overall world rankings) also offers various postgraduate distance learning programs, including the MSc in Human Resource Management and Development, the MSc in Management and Information Systems and the Manchester Global MBA. Thanks in large part to its well-reputed Manchester Business School, the university as a whole ranks 18th in the world for accounting, 30th for business and in the top 100 for economics.

University of Birmingham, UK2. University of Birmingham

The leading university in the UK’s second-largest city, the University of Birmingham is 64th in the overall world rankings and also features among the top 150 worldwide for accounting, business and economics. Although still growing its online education department, the school currently offers an online MBA, an MSc in international business and a master’s degree in public administration. Find the distance learning platform here.

Lancaster University, UK3. Lancaster University

Ranked 160th in the world rankings and within the top 100 for both accounting and business, Lancaster University’s distance learning platform offers a large number of online degrees and postgraduate certificates across all degree levels, including many courses in leadership and management, such as the MSc in Leadership Practice and Responsibility taught by the management school.

City University London, UK4. City University London

Featured in the overall world rankings at 341st, City University London is within the global top 150 for accounting, business and economics. It offers a range of international programs taught across the prestigious University of London system which also includes SOAS, Royal Holloway, LSE, Birkbeck and more. With flexible options to study online across business and management areas at all degree levels, City University also offers a distance learning LLM (Masters of Law) degree in International Business Law and an MSc in international business administration.

University of Liverpool, UK5. University of Liverpool

Though it doesn’t currently appear within our FAME subject rankings, the University of Liverpool comes 123rd in the overall world rankings, and offers as many as 36 industry-focused online degrees across its academic departments. These include a master’s and PhD in business administration (MBA and DBA) and a master’s degree in management.

Other top universities offering online degrees, around the world:

Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universitt Bonn (Germany; 177th in the world rankings)
RMIT University (Australia; 304th in the world rankings; Open.edu.au)
The University of Newcastle (Australia; 257th in the world rankings; Gradschool.edu.au)

If you’re considering taking an online master’s in business administration (MBA), take a look at the dedicated QS Distance Online MBA Rankings, over on our sister site TopMBA.com.
Old 24-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
do you know that there is a different in obtaining a certification at uni of cambridge and at kaplan? oh gosh! My advice is take none and go back to take a recongised diploma course. if you can state the HK uni name, we can at least see how possible it is for you
Mellissa is an Accredited Master Trainer certified by the University of Cambridge for their International Diploma for Teachers and Trainer programmes.

umm...it simply means mellissa completed the int dip for teachers and trainer by uni of cambridge. this is a part time 4 months 4k course that anyone can do, even if you are psle. even a celta or delta may be better than this.

mellissa has a masters in education. well, i can get that with a year's of hard work in sg as well....masters of education are the easiest courses to get in.

lastly she has experience in teaching blah blah...i have tons of experience in teaching as well....what i don't have is her director work experience in a private school...but even that is not hard to get with a few years of work exp in my belt back in sg.

this is my current line of work, if i wanted to stay in this line like mellissa, i can get to mellissa's level within a decade, but what for, these training guys are earning 3-4k max most of them.

which is why i am getting out of it rather than going down the bunny hole.

Mellissa Callendre Tawin
Senior Assistant Director (Pedagogical Practice)

Mellissa is an Accredited Master Trainer certified by the University of Cambridge for their International Diploma for Teachers and Trainer programmes. She also holds a Master in Education Management (MEd. Leadership) and was the Director of the School of Languages and Foundation Studies at a leading Private Education Institution in Singapore. At TLPD, Mellissa provides resources, support and consultation on Academic Integrity and administration of the NTU’s online Academic Integrity modules for Undergraduates. She manages the overall operations and publicity of NTU’s Faculty Development System (FDS) that provides faculty development workshops and programmes, in addition to co-leading, organising and promotion of events via NTU’s Annual Learning and Teaching conference and seminars, and Distinguished Speakers’ Series.

Quote:
Here is JCU's GES: s://.jcu.edu.sg/student-life/student-support-services/careers-services/graduate-employment-survey

2% work in government.

12% work in education. Please take note that working as a private tuition teacher also counts as working in education.

Average salary is 2k to 3k.

There. That's your future.
not too bad actually. 50% of graduates are foreigners in the first place, and the average pay is like 2-3k, same as sim uol etc. nus fresh grads are only getting around 3k anyway. something like 10 or 20 percent in finance.

within a few years, 3-5k which is my target is quite easily within reach.

much better than some moronic advice to go back to poly spend 5 years working a dip part time. i mean like, i got a degree, i can get into any master courses, i can even take the a levels easily the papers are easy i saw them, yet some guy is saying go back to poly for 1.6k.

damn i am already earning 2-3k per month now, in sgd, in a country with lower cost of living.