31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp

Old 24-02-2016, 12:39 AM

jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Maybe you should consider just coming back to Singapore and apply for an office job. As long as your expectations are reasonable (2-2.4k), should still be able to get a general desk bound job.

I don't think getting an unspecified PhD from South China will result in higher pay if end result is you are still going for normal office job like marketing executive or consumer banker. Seems like a waste of $$$ if you just want to get this kind of job and most likely over qualified.

As for the 1 year JCU cert that one is worse than even private universities like SIM, complete waste of time and at the end of the day I don't think it will increase your chance or pay.

WRT MNCs and civil service, I think you have to be realistic. Chances are honestly quite low irregardless of your choice unless it is more sales and business development type. Maybe when you have enough relevant working experience they are willing to consider you, but definitely not straight away with this kind of academics.
there are so many uol or curtin or james cook fresh grads at second lower that join big companies at entry level. is that really very unrealistic? we are not talking about joining at managerial level right?

as for '1 year' cert, that is due to advanced standing and no holidays, it will probably be 2 years if there are summer/winter holidays. it is not exactly a 1 year certificate...it is a 3 year degree with advanced standings given.

why take another 3 year degree without exemptions and repeat everything i learnt? i am not young anymore. even obama transferred credits from occidental college to his harvard degree which was just a 2 year degree.

as for the phd, yes, i feel a little like you do.

Quote:
I doubt the private sector really gives a flying shiit about some South China PhD obtained through internet. Yes it may surprise you, but really companies do think a Bachelor with pass from SMU or NUS is better than an online PhD from South China. Let's not even get to the lousier choice of doing an online 1 year degree with JCU. Whether you think it's fair or not is besides the point, it is what it is. The same thing with civil service as well.

Don't take my word for it. Go Linkedin and do a search of all the major MNC Associates or civil service entry level MX Managers, tell me which of them has an online South China doctorate or a 1 year online JCU bachelors.

Market realities are the only thing that matters, your opinion of how fantastic your online course is counts for squat. Time to wake up.
do people like you have dyslexia or just lack synapses?

how did you manage to spin it till the south china phd or jcu bachelors are online? i am not even aware that jcu has online bachelors.

as for mnc managers with jcu bachelors, i know 2 on my facebook personally even without searching on linkedin. one earns 20k plus monthly as regional director, another 6-8k as local hr manager. want me to send you their resumes?

Old 24-02-2016, 12:53 AM

I am waiting for my water to boil, so i decided to take a look on linkedin, searching for james cook singapore alumni to look at their current positions, just as you suggested. thanks for waking me up! i am happy i answered my own question with my own real world research. there are tons of these guys in the government sector.

1. HR Executive at Ministry of Social and Family Development

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...OUT_OF_NETWORK

2. Snr Asst. Director (Pedagogical Practice) at Nanyang Technological University

3. Postdoctoral Research Fellow, National University of Singapore

4. School Counsellor at Ministry of Education, Singapore

5. Civil Servant at Singapore

6. Rehab Officer at Ministry of Social and family Development

7. Senior Executive (Education Technology) at National University of Singapore

Old 24-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
there are so many uol or curtin or james cook fresh grads at second lower that join big companies at entry level. is that really very unrealistic? we are not talking about joining at managerial level right?

as for '1 year' cert, that is due to advanced standing and no holidays, it will probably be 2 years if there are summer/winter holidays. it is not exactly a 1 year certificate...it is a 3 year degree with advanced standings given.
Sure, there are a lot of private uni students in big companies, but what sort of jobs? As far as I can tell most are mainly below local degree semi exec/ops type of jobs at 2k+ levels. You already have an online degree, to me I fail to see how getting another 1 year cert from JCU is going to increase chance or pay in these type of jobs. The JCU cert isn't going to help you to get a proper associate job that pays 3k+, so why bother?

As for your rationale on the JCU cert, I think that is irrelevant. I doubt recruiters are interested in hearing your various explanation of how good and intense this JCU thing is. You might as well just use the same story to convince them the online degree is the same thing, chances should be the same.

Long story short, 1 year JCU cert is hardly better than the online degree you already have. No point taking it up. 4 year China doctorate is overkill for a marketing/banking office job and the end result is likely going to be a 3k+ job at 35 years old and depleted savings and student loans. You are better off just trying to get a 2k+ job now and keep options open instead of just limiting to MNCs and civil service. Your age is against you and no point limiting your options so early when the chances of landing an offer is not high in the first place.

Old 24-02-2016, 01:14 AM

jesus. i thought it would be hard to find james cook uni singapore grads working for the government, just as many posters here implied, oh only nus la, think about how many fch they can hire from ntu nus, oh think about the ivy league you are competing with, oh come on, jcu paper is like your toilet paper, oh the civil service has standards.

went on linkedin, searched for alumnis, and it seems like 50% of them work for the government. i am shocked myself.

which basically tells us that 80% of posters and posts here are utter bs.

a true eureka moment hah.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 24-02-2016, 01:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
jesus. i thought it would be hard to find james cook uni singapore grads working for the government, just as many posters here implied, oh only nus la, think about how many fch they can hire from ntu nus, oh think about the ivy league you are competing with, oh come on, jcu paper is like your toilet paper.

went on linkedin, searched for alumnis, and it seems like 50% of them work for the government. i am shocked myself.

Nobody is saying that JCU cannot be in civil service, they are just saying you won't be able to join at the normal degree MX13/12 degree grad level. Even an N Level grad can join the civil service. You are just seeing what you want to see and totally missing the point.

Your #1 & #6 are essentially MSS Executive/Officer positions. Your #5 says nothing other than "civil servant". Your #4 most likely got there by higher education and relevant experience in other places. Your #3 is a post doctoral researcher for christ sake, where he is now has nothing to do with his JCU bachelor degree even if he had gotten it in the past.

None of your links work and so I can only comment generally. Anyway it seems you are more interested in finding justification to study for that JCU thing, so really just go for it. There is no point seeking confirmation in an online forum anyway.
Old 24-02-2016, 02:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nobody is saying that JCU cannot be in civil service, they are just saying you won't be able to join at the normal degree MX13/12 degree grad level. Even an N Level grad can join the civil service. You are just seeing what you want to see and totally missing the point.

Your #1 & #6 are essentially MSS Executive/Officer positions. Your #5 says nothing other than "civil servant". Your #4 most likely got there by higher education and relevant experience in other places. Your #3 is a post doctoral researcher for christ sake, where he is now has nothing to do with his JCU bachelor degree even if he had gotten it in the past.

None of your links work and so I can only comment generally. Anyway it seems you are more interested in finding justification to study for that JCU thing, so really just go for it. There is no point seeking confirmation in an online forum anyway.
also to comment on no. 2 since i work in NTU, although I cannot access the link as well, but i am very sure he is talking about mellissa. fyi this is her profile at ntu http://www.ntu.edu.sg/tlpd/abtus/Pages/team.aspx

Quote:
Mellissa Callendre Tawin
Senior Assistant Director (Pedagogical Practice)

Mellissa is an Accredited Master Trainer certified by the University of Cambridge for their International Diploma for Teachers and Trainer programmes. She also holds a Master in Education Management (MEd. Leadership) and was the Director of the School of Languages and Foundation Studies at a leading Private Education Institution in Singapore. At TLPD, Mellissa provides resources, support and consultation on Academic Integrity and administration of the NTU’s online Academic Integrity modules for Undergraduates. She manages the overall operations and publicity of NTU’s Faculty Development System (FDS) that provides faculty development workshops and programmes, in addition to co-leading, organising and promotion of events via NTU’s Annual Learning and Teaching conference and seminars, and Distinguished Speakers’ Series.
besides the obvious high level education listed above, melissa got a masters from jcu many years ago iirc. i think she will be super piss off if somebody is implying that she got to where she is now by getting a 1 year bachelor from jcu. this clown most likely just do a quick search on linkin and never even bother to find out the history of the individuals he quoted.

Old 24-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
also to comment on no. 2 since i work in NTU, although I cannot access the link as well, but i am very sure he is talking about mellissa. fyi this is her profile at ntu ://.ntu.edu.sg/tlpd/abtus/Pages/team.aspx

besides the obvious high level education listed above, melissa got a masters from jcu many years ago iirc. i think she will be super piss off if somebody is implying that she got to where she is now by getting a 1 year bachelor from jcu. this clown most likely just do a quick search on linkin and never even bother to find out the history of the individuals he quoted.
Spot on. Mellissa has a very strong background then the original poster. Besides that, she got herself accreditated with a professional status that was recongised by uni of cambridge. I think we shouldnt waste much time discussing further as we should let the poster go take a jcu and see himself. No point proving this and that for him as i read all his post i do find something quite funny. one point he said the PHD is at HK from top 50 uni. another post he says that it is at some southern china and is top 100 uni. See the point here. he most probably is just ********ting about everything trying to prove something.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
jesus. i thought it would be hard to find james cook uni singapore grads working for the government, just as many posters here implied, oh only nus la, think about how many fch they can hire from ntu nus, oh think about the ivy league you are competing with, oh come on, jcu paper is like your toilet paper, oh the civil service has standards.

Dude, there are many different kinds of degrees offered by JCU. Difference in level (bachelor, masters, phd), difference in discipline/faculty, difference in duration (full 3-4 year course vs 1 year crash course), difference in campus (aussie vs sg branch). Also have to take into account difference in relevant work experience, prior education (many have proper diploma or advanced diploma before that), industry connections etc. You can't just do a search on "jcu" and assume you will be the same as them just because you take a crash course.

To use the ntu assistant director above as example, she has many follow up and related advanced education in the areas of learning & development, many years of relevant work experience, well-established reputation in the academic field and studied a full aussie based jcu masters program on education management.

This is completely different from your case of no relevant work experience at all except teaching english in malaysia, no relevant certification (not even a proper accredited diploma) except for an online degree, no professional network in sg at all and a crash course in jcu generic bachelors. As things stand now, a mid career dipoma/nitec with a sim/kaplan/mdis/psb degree is in a better position than you.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 24-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Spot on. Mellissa has a very strong background then the original poster. Besides that, she got herself accreditated with a professional status that was recongised by uni of cambridge. I think we shouldnt waste much time discussing further as we should let the poster go take a jcu and see himself. No point proving this and that for him as i read all his post i do find something quite funny. one point he said the PHD is at HK from top 50 uni. another post he says that it is at some southern china and is top 100 uni. See the point here. he most probably is just ********ting about everything trying to prove something.
True, i dont think ts will listen anyway since he is reacting in a 100% emotional manner and probably making stuff up as he goes along. My main reason for posting here is for other readers who are thinking of doing similar things and hopefully they can have a proper perspective instead.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:

okay, explain to me what is the difference between mx13 and mss executive, in terms of career and salary.

Quote:
the cambridge diploma or 'profesisonal status recognised by cambridge' you refer to is just a 4 months part time diploma that you can do at kaplan for 4k sgd total.

i am just trying to find out the best course to take, either the jcu path or the phd path. just an average man trying to earn some money to start a family and live a stable life.

hong kong is in south china.