31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp

Old 23-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

both options are mornic & dun work. cs will not hire some online degree guy at 3-5k regardless of whether phd or not.

as for mncs even more impossible, generally they take in better quality students then even cs. no way they are interested in offering this sort of money for an online grad when they have the ivies & local fch to choose from. at most ur going to get in as some office admin job at <2k.

the only other way is to do sales. if ur good then the comissions can be high, otherwise both options are dumb imo.

Old 23-02-2016, 05:21 PM

jiaklatliao is on a distinguished road

sorry but what was the previous poster talking about? i have an accredited online degree, which was a mistake. to solve this mistake, i will study further.

i got admitted to into 2 on campus full time programmes because i am trying to get a stable 3-5k job (not immediately after graduation, but i mean after a few years of working i hope to reach that level).

one programme is jcu's degree, i need to complete 1 year full time.

second programme is a phd in south china, from a top 100 university.

i was just wondering which one i should go with if my goal is just to get a stable job in singapore, mnc, teaching, etc, and earn 3-5k over time, not immediately as a fresh grad of course.

Old 23-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
both options are mornic & dun work. cs will not hire some online degree guy at 3-5k regardless of whether phd or not.

as for mncs even more impossible, generally they take in better quality students then even cs. no way they are interested in offering this sort of money for an online grad when they have the ivies & local fch to choose from. at most ur going to get in as some office admin job at <2k.

the only other way is to do sales. if ur good then the comissions can be high, otherwise both options are dumb imo.
so anyone who is not an ivy or local fch can't find a job in an mnc or civil service?

a guy with a phd is not as quality as a bachelors degree guy?

Old 23-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
so anyone who is not an ivy or local fch can't find a job in an mnc or civil service?

a guy with a phd is not as quality as a bachelors degree guy?
I am working in cs. i have a local degree from NTU - just pass. not even honours.
Old 23-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am working in cs. i have a local degree from NTU - just pass. not even honours.
May I ask if your degree is a direct honours? How many years of work experience and current annual pay?
Old 23-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
I got an online degree. So according to some of the giys here, even if i get an on campus degree, or a reputable masters, i still can't join a mnc or cs.

Wth so these places are local uni alumni clubs? And even if i get a masters i will still make coffee in a 10 person sme?

Fml.

Old 23-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

no need think, just go for the phd. A piece of james cook paper is as useful as the online degree
Old 23-02-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
no need think, just go for the phd. A piece of james cook paper is as useful as the online degree
read somewhere that civil service in singapore only considers your bachelors, they dont care about your masters or phd.

also read that even grads from lousy universities such as upper iowa university can become teachers with moe as long as it is on campus.

personally, i am thinking about this, why do a phd and finish at age 35?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 23-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Unregistered

I doubt the private sector really gives a flying shiit about some South China PhD obtained through internet. Yes it may surprise you, but really companies do think a Bachelor with pass from SMU or NUS is better than an online PhD from South China. Let's not even get to the lousier choice of doing an online 1 year degree with JCU. Whether you think it's fair or not is besides the point, it is what it is. The same thing with civil service as well.

Don't take my word for it. Go Linkedin and do a search of all the major MNC Associates or civil service entry level MX Managers, tell me which of them has an online South China doctorate or a 1 year online JCU bachelors.

Market realities are the only thing that matters, your opinion of how fantastic your online course is counts for squat. Time to wake up.
Old 24-02-2016, 12:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
hello, i am 31 yo liao, i dropped out of a levels/poly, then went on to do a completely online degree from the uk, afterwards realised cannot use it to find job in singapore. so i left singapore and worked in malaysia teaching english for 5 years. recently, i realised i am losing out and there is no future in this line so now i want to go back to sg to work on my office based career, i hope to earn 3-5k each month that is good enough for me, start a family, work in a stable job, save cpf for retirement.

i know my online diploma and degree are not recognised (although they are accredited uk degrees) so i decided to go back to school for the next 1-4 years then go into job market.

now i have been accepted into 2 courses.

1. james cook university singapore campus 1 year bachelors commerce degree (they gave me advanced standing of 2 years)

2. pursue a 4 year phd in hong kong (top 50 university in the world) with minimal student stipend.

which one do you think i should go after? my point of doing another degree is to cover my online degree and apply for jobs in sg, government jobs, or etc. i will only use the jcu degree after i graduate.

as for the phd, it is very enticing to give it a try but it is a long hard road, and my online degree will still be under it, will that affect my job search in sg if i graduate?

goal in life is just to find any business related job, best is banking or marketing, and earn 3-5k each month, start a family, settle down.
Maybe you should consider just coming back to Singapore and apply for an office job. As long as your expectations are reasonable (2-2.4k), should still be able to get a general desk bound job.

I don't think getting an unspecified PhD from South China will result in higher pay if end result is you are still going for normal office job like marketing executive or consumer banker. Seems like a waste of $$$ if you just want to get this kind of job and most likely over qualified.

As for the 1 year JCU cert that one is worse than even private universities like SIM, complete waste of time and at the end of the day I don't think it will increase your chance or pay.

WRT MNCs and civil service, I think you have to be realistic. Chances are honestly quite low irregardless of your choice unless it is more sales and business development type. Maybe when you have enough relevant working experience they are willing to consider you, but definitely not straight away with this kind of academics.