Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Background check before offer? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/6736-background-check-before-offer.html)

zzz16 23-02-2016 01:08 PM

Background check before offer?

Hi guys,

Does HR usually conduct background check before an offer? Three weeks after I attended the final round interview for a particular bank, the HR called me and asked me scan my IC to them. I just agreed and forgot to ask why and what they needed it for in that moment. Can anyone working in HR make a good guess as to why the HR asked me to scan my IC? I suppose it should be for a background check so I thought perhaps they will be making an offer to me soon. But it has been almost two weeks since that phone call and I still have not heard back from HR. I'm really anxious waiting for a reply from them. :(

Unregistered 23-02-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzz16 (Post 80238)
Hi guys,

Does HR usually conduct background check before an offer? Three weeks after I attended the final round interview for a particular bank, the HR called me and asked me scan my IC to them. I just agreed and forgot to ask why and what they needed it for in that moment. Can anyone working in HR make a good guess as to why the HR asked me to scan my IC? I suppose it should be for a background check so I thought perhaps they will be making an offer to me soon. But it has been almost two weeks since that phone call and I still have not heard back from HR. I'm really anxious waiting for a reply from them. :(

Dont feel offended, but im quite surprised that people are asking such a qns? you dont need a HR personnel to reply you this and yes for any job you work the HR will ask you for your IC to scan. This is for validation purpose and maybe background checks too. if you go to a place to work and they dont need to scan your IC or whatever, then you should beware.

zzz16 23-02-2016 02:37 PM

hey thanks for your reply. I'm just not sure what's going on cause I thought usually its offer first then background check. And I already gave them my IC during the interview hence not sure why they're asking me to scan it to them

Unregistered 23-02-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzz16 (Post 80248)
hey thanks for your reply. I'm just not sure what's going on cause I thought usually its offer first then background check. And I already gave them my IC during the interview hence not sure why they're asking me to scan it to them

Nah, background checks will always come first before actual offering. for example, what if they offer you and then found that you are lying to them on your resume? things like that. Hence, everyone will check before offer.

zzz16 23-02-2016 04:19 PM

I see, thanks so much. Is it safe to presume that they will most likely give me an offer since I don't think they will run a check on someone they're not intending to hire? Sry I'm just super anxious to get a job before graduation

Unregistered 23-02-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzz16 (Post 80253)
I see, thanks so much. Is it safe to presume that they will most likely give me an offer since I don't think they will run a check on someone they're not intending to hire? Sry I'm just super anxious to get a job before graduation

Since you have completed the final interview, i guess your chances are quite high. However, it may depend on what kind of background checks they need. example for me when i got a job in CS, the HR told me to fill in details of my character referee and they did told me that it is for background check purpose. For banks, maybe they dont need character referee check as you dont have any job exp. So i assume they will just check on your uni and all other things.

Unregistered 16-04-2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80255)
Since you have completed the final interview, i guess your chances are quite high. However, it may depend on what kind of background checks they need. example for me when i got a job in CS, the HR told me to fill in details of my character referee and they did told me that it is for background check purpose. For banks, maybe they dont need character referee check as you dont have any job exp. So i assume they will just check on your uni and all other things.

Hello there. I really hope you've got the job offer by now :)

Anyway, I was trying to understand some information regarding the entire hiring timeline for banks in SG. Can any seniors in the industry shed some light based on their experiences? For instance, how long should be the rough wait for 1st & 2nd interview until being called up for an offer?

Unregistered 16-04-2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83770)
Hello there. I really hope you've got the job offer by now :)

Anyway, I was trying to understand some information regarding the entire hiring timeline for banks in SG. Can any seniors in the industry shed some light based on their experiences? For instance, how long should be the rough wait for 1st & 2nd interview until being called up for an offer?

It varies. Usually it takes one to two weeks between interviews. I work for a bulge bracket and went thru 6 rounds of interviews. So the interviews took around 5-6 weeks. After the interviews, it took another 1 month for background check and then you will get the offer within one week if background check is cleared. Whole process takes 2-3 months.

Unregistered 16-04-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83772)
It varies. Usually it takes one to two weeks between interviews. I work for a bulge bracket and went thru 6 rounds of interviews. So the interviews took around 5-6 weeks. After the interviews, it took another 1 month for background check and then you will get the offer within one week if background check is cleared. Whole process takes 2-3 months.

Wow.. 6 rounds! Must have been a patient wait.

Can I say that its normal to wait about a month for an offer? (Considering that necessary procedures have to be done i.e. background checks, approvals etc.)

Unregistered 16-04-2016 06:32 PM

i waited about 1.5weeks for my HR(who outsourced to a third party provider) to do my background check back then...

i work in a boutique private bank here in SG...