Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Quiting a new job

Old 16-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There have always been complaints about bad behaviour, politics and backstabbing, and it is always the problematic people who complain the most and the loudest.

Why is the boss always screaming at you, boss fault.

Why cannot use pantry, HR fault.

Why cannot use hp, HR fault.

Why do my colleagues backstab me, colleagues fault.

At no point in time do you even consider that perhaps you are at fault.

How can ppl even backstab you if you are a good worker? Oh... So and so complain to boss that I stole stationery from cupboard. So and so complain to boss I always late. So and so complain to boss I **** in toilet never flush.

While bad company culture exist, bad workers also exist. If you simply work on bettering yourselves, it will reduce a lot of problems you perceive. Simply because part of the problem is you.

There is nothing about companies having to pamper spoilt brats in 2016. In this day and age, it is a fact that human rights etc exist. It is also a fact that there are a lot of spoilt brats currently unemployed, or never really amounting to much in their careers.
You sound like you have yet to experience the real harsh reality of the working world.
It is impossible to 'better' yourself in a toxic environment. Have you ever been picked by your boss even when you have tried to do your best in your work ? I have been through it and managed to ENDURE two plus years before I called it quits. Constant bullying, whether by the boss or the colleagues will get you nowhere, only to make you unhappy both mentally and physically. Speaking from experience, usually the victim is all alone, no one in the workplace can share the agony with her. Cos outsiders usually want to hear 'the other side' of the story which usually do not exists and that is why bosses who are bullies usually get away. I emphatize the thread starter as I totally can feel how she felt. In the end, she need to find another job but the people in the company continues their way and still get paid. Working life is never fair.

Old 16-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Just leave. You deserve better.

Old 16-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

I take a bow to this comment! Bravo! Yes we should stand up against these recalcitrant boss bullies who think they are not wrong, and try to rationalise (worse asked victim to reflect what he had done wrong) I am appalled at how they justified their wrong doings. Or how others justified for them.

Old 16-02-2016, 04:29 PM

foxy is on a distinguished road
Default somewhat same situation...

I am sorry to hijack you thread but I am also stuck. Same situation I am in. except mine’s slightly different. I also worked 1.5 months starting this 04 Jan 16 and can’t adjust to the culture shock. I am from the hustle and bustle super busy can’t breathe environment to now like working in a retirement home every day looking at my PC right hand bottom corner hoping the 6pm comes fast….

1. 1st day the department secretary already does not want to teach me anything. She comes with such a tone, “oh you from those big offshore company so no need to teach.”
2. I have been sitting at my work station for the last 1.5 months doing nothing much. Surfing net, doing simple printing once a day and simple paper filing.
3. Whole month of January I was dozing off at my seat. Looking at job portals and sending resume.
4. Btw, my seat is the very 1st seat of the walkway from the main entrance and every one will have to pass by me to get to their own stations.
5. I only started to learn to do something just 1 week ago, sometime last week (when one of the team managers teach me how to do work. In fact the secretaries in this department I am in simply refused to teach. One of them (the most senior, early thirties) looked like a piece of meat.
6. Also learn how to do simple invoicing just before CNY. My job requires me to do simple invoicing though.
7. I can sit there whole day not doing anything and not talking to anyone. Looking at my mobile, messaging, calling friends or ex colleagues is alright. Just that everyone can see my PC screen.
8. Staff not encourage to stay back, all leave on the dot. And lunch time is a fixed 1hour and 10mins. But official hours are quarter to 9am to 6pm, thus making it about 43hrs week.
9. Sitting at office with aircon, doing nothing and getting is quite good right?! but I can't talk to anyone because that Piece of meat secy called, E-lynn is constantly eavesdropping at me and looking at my PC when she walked pass.
10. this E-lynn is constantly gossipping with another team manager and the other secretary, Sheryl who is also in our team. But this Sheryl joined only 7 months ago and yet, she has to keep asking this E-lynn, how to do this and how to do that. E-lynn will feed her the information slowly

E-lynn is married, with a 3yo daughter, sorry can't say anything good about her looks or her kid but yeah, lucky bitch gets to have a husband. As for Sheryl, I heard from my agent that she is married and 45yo with kids but she's got to go for skin center treatment when the boss wasnt happy in allowing her to go last year, she was pissed, I read/saw the email gossiping amongst herself and E-lynn, yet this E-lynn was laughing in the email.

Now, here’s my issue, below is the essence of my employment contract:

1. Your employment will be subject to confirmation at the end of a 4-month probation period. We have the discretion to extend the probationary period if we deem fit.

2. During the probation period you will not be entitled to any medical benefits or to take any annual leave. Any leave taken during the probationary period will be treated as unpaid leave.

3. Your employment may be terminated by us, without notice or compensation, in the event you are found to be negligent or incompetent in your work, are guilty of insubordination or you do not comply with the reasonable requests of management.

4. Either party may terminate the contract by serving 2 weeks' notice in writing or paying 2 weeks' salary in lieu of notice during the probationary period.

5. Upon confirmation of employment, we may terminate the employment by giving you 1 month's prior notice in writing or paying 1 month's salary in lieu of notice, and you may terminate the employment by giving us 3 months' prior notice in writing or paying 3 months' salary in lieu of notice.

Unconsumed leave may not be taken during the notice period, unless agreed to or required by us.

6. You are entitled to fourteen (14) days annual leave.

7. After you have completed your probationary period, we will cover you under out standard Hospitalisation Insurance Scheme. However, should your employment with us be terminated for any reason whatsoever before the end of your first year of employment with us, you will refund to us the insurance premium which we have paid.

I am a mid level admin, PA types/secretary. But my roles is totally differently from what was stated in the job description. I am now reduced to a registration clerk, doing registration with statutory boards. I am perfectly fine staring into the computer not doing anything and not talking to anyone in office, remembering to OPEN MY mouth BIG cos other wise i will have bad breathe...

My concern is the after probation, "3 months' prior notice in writing" and "before the end of your first year of employment with us, you will refund to us the insurance premium which we have paid."

OH another thing is I got to read my predecessor's INBOX and found out that the lady boss does not like staff to take leave.

Based on the E-lynn/Sherly policies and the after probation, "3 months' prior notice in writing" and "before the end of your first year of employment with us, you will refund to us the insurance premium which we have paid."

Should I leave in April just before the end of probation?

Notes: IT officer is serving his 2 months NOTICE now, another colleague works more than 15 years in this company has to serve 6 weeks notice.

Thank you
foxy
Old 16-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
I am sorry to hijack you thread but I am also stuck. Same situation I am in. except mine’s slightly different. I also worked 1.5 months starting this 04 Jan 16 and can’t adjust to the culture shock. I am from the hustle and bustle super busy can’t breathe environment to now like working in a retirement home every day looking at my PC right hand bottom corner hoping the 6pm comes fast….

1. 1st day the department secretary already does not want to teach me anything. She comes with such a tone, “oh you from those big offshore company so no need to teach.”
2. I have been sitting at my work station for the last 1.5 months doing nothing much. Surfing net, doing simple printing once a day and simple paper filing.
3. Whole month of January I was dozing off at my seat. Looking at job portals and sending resume.
4. Btw, my seat is the very 1st seat of the walkway from the main entrance and every one will have to pass by me to get to their own stations.
5. I only started to learn to do something just 1 week ago, sometime last week (when one of the team managers teach me how to do work. In fact the secretaries in this department I am in simply refused to teach. One of them (the most senior, early thirties) looked like a piece of meat.
6. Also learn how to do simple invoicing just before CNY. My job requires me to do simple invoicing though.
7. I can sit there whole day not doing anything and not talking to anyone. Looking at my mobile, messaging, calling friends or ex colleagues is alright. Just that everyone can see my PC screen.
8. Staff not encourage to stay back, all leave on the dot. And lunch time is a fixed 1hour and 10mins. But official hours are quarter to 9am to 6pm, thus making it about 43hrs week.
9. Sitting at office with aircon, doing nothing and getting is quite good right?! but I can't talk to anyone because that Piece of meat secy called, E-lynn is constantly eavesdropping at me and looking at my PC when she walked pass.
10. this E-lynn is constantly gossipping with another team manager and the other secretary, Sheryl who is also in our team. But this Sheryl joined only 7 months ago and yet, she has to keep asking this E-lynn, how to do this and how to do that. E-lynn will feed her the information slowly

E-lynn is married, with a 3yo daughter, sorry can't say anything good about her looks or her kid but yeah, lucky bitch gets to have a husband. As for Sheryl, I heard from my agent that she is married and 45yo with kids but she's got to go for skin center treatment when the boss wasnt happy in allowing her to go last year, she was pissed, I read/saw the email gossiping amongst herself and E-lynn, yet this E-lynn was laughing in the email.

Now, here’s my issue, below is the essence of my employment contract:

1. Your employment will be subject to confirmation at the end of a 4-month probation period. We have the discretion to extend the probationary period if we deem fit.

2. During the probation period you will not be entitled to any medical benefits or to take any annual leave. Any leave taken during the probationary period will be treated as unpaid leave.

3. Your employment may be terminated by us, without notice or compensation, in the event you are found to be negligent or incompetent in your work, are guilty of insubordination or you do not comply with the reasonable requests of management.

4. Either party may terminate the contract by serving 2 weeks' notice in writing or paying 2 weeks' salary in lieu of notice during the probationary period.

5. Upon confirmation of employment, we may terminate the employment by giving you 1 month's prior notice in writing or paying 1 month's salary in lieu of notice, and you may terminate the employment by giving us 3 months' prior notice in writing or paying 3 months' salary in lieu of notice.

Unconsumed leave may not be taken during the notice period, unless agreed to or required by us.

6. You are entitled to fourteen (14) days annual leave.

7. After you have completed your probationary period, we will cover you under out standard Hospitalisation Insurance Scheme. However, should your employment with us be terminated for any reason whatsoever before the end of your first year of employment with us, you will refund to us the insurance premium which we have paid.

I am a mid level admin, PA types/secretary. But my roles is totally differently from what was stated in the job description. I am now reduced to a registration clerk, doing registration with statutory boards. I am perfectly fine staring into the computer not doing anything and not talking to anyone in office, remembering to OPEN MY mouth BIG cos other wise i will have bad breathe...

My concern is the after probation, "3 months' prior notice in writing" and "before the end of your first year of employment with us, you will refund to us the insurance premium which we have paid."

OH another thing is I got to read my predecessor's INBOX and found out that the lady boss does not like staff to take leave.

Based on the E-lynn/Sherly policies and the after probation, "3 months' prior notice in writing" and "before the end of your first year of employment with us, you will refund to us the insurance premium which we have paid."

Should I leave in April just before the end of probation?

Notes: IT officer is serving his 2 months NOTICE now, another colleague works more than 15 years in this company has to serve 6 weeks notice.

Thank you
foxy
TLDR version.

1. New job nothing to do.
2. Why need to tell everyone about Sheryl and E-Lynn? And whether they are married or they have children is irrelevant to us.
3. Not happy need to repay insurance premium if resign/fired within first year after probation.
4. Asking if should quit before end of probation to avoid the repayment of insurance premium.

You have already answered your own question: that you want to quit. So why still ask?
Old 17-02-2016, 04:41 PM

Meanieeass is on a distinguished road

To those who gave mean replies, I'm sorry that you have such a mindset. Fyi, up to date, 2 other newbies that joined the company not long (a business development manager and a regional director) just resigned as they couldn't take the company culture as well. Saying that I'm just a lazy worker that just want to earn my paycheck and do nothing amused me as I wonder if you know me personally. I just pray that 1 day you don't land in a situation similar as me. All the best!

Old 17-02-2016, 07:40 PM

aplover is on a distinguished road

Just quit. Don't reflect this short few Mths in your resume. If the environment is ****ed up, don't torture itself. Not worth it
Old 17-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Unregistered

Hihi, have been following this thread and giving you the support, albeit anonymously and facelessly, thru virtual comments. Indeed those mean messages passed-ignore them, it's like an innocent person being raped yet blamed for their dressing"-I think this is just unjustifiable. How are you? I hope you have resigned, I think mental & emotional health is highly important & your basic rights.
Old 17-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Unregistered

i've been in ur position before, twice. just quit. like tomorrow. no point scare to leave and then keep bitching about it.
Old 17-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Don't take some people too seriously in this anonymous forum. I suspect there are trolls in here looking to upset people with their inconsiderate and unkind remarks.

Typical tactics I have observed:
  • You start a thread asking about X, the troll replies about Y which is unrelated, and waste your time reading his/her deluded views and opinions of no relevance to the thread.
  • You ask about a particular job, sector or industry trying to understand it better. The troll will condemn it as the worst thing ever until you lose interest, without providing evidence of having worked in similar jobs or sector. Little/no credibility in the advice.
  • You seek advice regarding a difficult situation, the troll will take the chance to dispense his/her worldly advice before twisting it into a personal attack on the thread starter. Usually, it will typically accuse someone of incompetence, lack of professionalism, weak-minded, immature, laziness etc. or some negative personal traits masquerading as "kind" advice for character flaws that one fails to realize.
  • When one argues back with the troll, it will start playing victim card by accusing one of being close-minded, and not being receptive to its "well-intention" advice, which actually consists of some veiled personal insinuations or personal attacks that " one should wake up one's ideas about modern office".

Feel free to add on to the list.

Some people are just not interested to share any valuable information but simply here to be online nuisance of zero value.